Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 6:46 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 6:22 pm 
Wolf in James Bay neighborhood of Victoria. James Bay is directly S of downtown, the Inner Harbour, or the Legislative Building, whichever is your favourite landmark. Best. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wolf-james-bay-tranquilized-released-1.5441984

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 10:25 am 
Monday February 10, 2020 08:46 PST WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates
WDFW, in its Wolf Update of 02/10/20 wrote:
Program updates An investigation of a range rider previously contracted by WDFW was recently reported in the news. WDFW’s statement on the investigation is as follows: WDFW has been investigating alleged inappropriate billing of work by a range riding entity during the 2018 livestock grazing season in northeast Washington.The case has been referred to the Thurston County Prosecutor for consideration of filing charges. WDFW has invested significant resources into its investigation and cannot jeopardize those efforts by discussing details at this time, as it could negatively impact the legal process. Public documents pertinent to this case are available through Spokane and King county courts. Although not universally effective, WDFW believes that range riding can be a critically important means of protecting cattle and deterring wolf depredations of livestock. Many communities, groups, and individuals work diligently to make range riders available where they are needed, and we all count on range riders to take pride in their work performance; we are thankful to those who so frequently do so.
-WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm 
Monday February 10, 2020 12:57 PST WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW- * be sure to also see Wolf Update from earlier today posted just above *

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 3:07 pm 
^ Thanks for the link, Sky Hiker. While the author's tone (and the site on which the article is published) may appear on the surface to have something of a "slant" to them, Google searches on the names of Drs. Geist and Mech turn up some rather provocative information.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 4:00 pm 
I haven't done much investigation yet into the background of the Dr's Heist mentioned in the article. I Have read some of his experiences with wolves in Canada. I will say he is not a fan of wolves based on his experiences or background it seems.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 6:25 pm 
^ I'm not so sure that's the case. Reading what I did, it appears he formerly had a better opinion of them until he moved to Vancouver Island, after which his views changed. Mech, on the other hand, appears to have taken a fairly reasoned (and perhaps somewhat ambivalent) position, which I find intriguing. If the information found about both gentlemen with a simple Google search can be taken at face value, they both most certainly have the credentials to offer informed and valid opinions, which is more than can be said for those making the greatest amount of noise on this issue.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 7:14 pm 
Tuesday February 18, 2020 16:02 PST WDFW NEWS RELEASE WDFW uses drone to study predators and prey in wild lands of Stevens and Pend Oreille counties The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and collaborating partners will fly a drone over northeast Washington wild lands during the week starting February 16. WDFW and University of Washington biologists will use the drone to film landscapes and work sites associated with the Predator-Prey Project, a five-year research effort that began in the winter of 2016-17. Researchers working with the project are studying the impact to ungulates (mule deer, white-tailed deer, and elk) from wolves and other carnivores such as cougars, bobcats, and coyotes. Using a drone for this work is less risky and less expensive than filming from conventional aircraft. Video taken by the drone will be used in an education-outreach film, available in late 2020, that will describe the data collection process, and how the data will inform wildlife management decisions. Drone flights will take place in Game Management Units 117 and 121 in Stevens and Pend Oreille counties. Exact locations, flight times and days will be dictated by weather conditions and animal distributions. The flights will take place mostly on public land. Drone pilots will avoid private land and human habitation when possible. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting and perpetuating fish, wildlife and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing, hunting, and other recreation opportunities. -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 5:34 pm 
Wednesday Febrary 19, 2020 14:07 PST WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 1:52 am 
Wednesday February 19, 2020 14:07 PST WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW- =========================================================== Thursday February 20, 2020 14:26 PST WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates
WDFW, in their Wolf Update of 02-20-20 wrote:
A King County Superior Court judge has reconsidered his prior order and declined to dismiss SEPA claims against WDFW On Jan. 10, 2020, Judge John McHale dismissed two claims against the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), filed in August 2019, that alleged WDFW violated the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA). Those claims - filed by petitioners John Huskinson, Genevieve Jaquez-Schumacher, and Tim Coleman - alleged that the Department was required to conduct a threshold environmental determination and develop a supplemental environmental impact statement before issuing the 2017 wolf-livestock interaction protocol and lethal removal authorizations challenged in the case. Following the dismissal of those claims, the petitioners filed a partial motion for reconsideration of the judge’s Jan. 10 order. On Feb. 20, Judge McHale granted the partial motion for reconsideration and indicated that he is willing to re-hear the arguments in the context of a different kind of motion. “We appreciate the Court’s continued diligence in studying the issue,” said Donny Martorello, wolf policy lead for WDFW. “WDFW looks forward to continuing to work collaboratively and inclusively through decisions impacting wolves and livestock.”
-WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 1:59 pm 
Monday March 9, 2020 11:11 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 8:23 pm 
Friday March 13, 2020 15:16 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am 
Friday March 27. 2020 09:22 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates
WDFW, in their Wolf Update of 03/27/20 wrote:
Wolf Advisory Group Virtual Meeting - March 31-April 1, 2020
-WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 7:52 pm 
Wednesday April 22, 2020 17:21 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-