Forum Index > Trail Talk > Staying in Holden Village questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 2:42 pm 
I am hoping someone here might have some insight on staying at Holden village. I don't want to attend the daily events, I just want to enjoy the wilderness and do some day hikes. I am wondering if anyone else has stayed for a few days without attending all the events and if so how were you treated. My wife likes hiking but not backpacking and I think this would be a good trip for us if they are hospitable with guest staying more than a night who just want to have a nice place to stay and do there own thing. I have emailed registration there and am waiting for a response, but was curious if I could get the information from someone who has had first hand experience as a customer.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm 
The village is very open to whatever. You will be treated well, even if you don't attend events or vespers. I go to Holden with WTA and the folks in the village are open and friendly and welcoming. The choice of partaking in village life is up to you as a paying guest. I, however, think that being a part of it all is important to feel the flavor of the place. No proselytizing or pressure is put on anyone as long as one stays within the rules of the village. They really don't want you to 'party' there....alcohol is tolerated as long as it's not flaunted. Marijuana is prohibited as the village is on Forest Service land. There is much to love at Holden and I hope you'll have a great time. PM me if you have more questions. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 5:50 pm 
Thanks lookout Bob that's what I was hoping to hear!

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
RichP

RichP
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 6:00 pm 
There is also a FS campground just out of town. You can pay for meals and camp if you'd like. And yes, they are open and low key if you want to stay with them and not partake in the spiritual aspects of the village.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 7:21 pm 
I've eaten meals at their family style dinners after multiday outings and they are very accepting.

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 pm 
Everyone is extremely friendly there. I got forced by the wildfires to exit out Holden village from a planned trip doing the buck creek pass loop last year. They gave me and my dog a free meal and even helped me coordinate a route from Chelan back to my car at trinity.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 7:50 am 
we've thought about hiking spider meadows, exploring for while then heading down to the village..see if reservation on the boat back to chelan would be good... so would need to make a reservation in the village...(can someone comment on the dinners hockeygrin.gif ) or the usfs campground near town... sounds like a bunch of good, happy people living there!

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 am 
forest gnome...the food in the village is very simple. Mostly vegetarian with a couple meat choices per week. The food is wholesome and filling. They make their own bread which is awesome and wonderful. The campground is west of the village and is just an open area where one can camp near Railroad Creek. It is mostly for folks passing through. I would make a reservation in the village so as to enjoy the environment there. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 pm 
We've stayed at Holden many times as part of family gatherings. Yes, they are very open and accepting of everyone. If you are staying in the Village, you will probably find some classes or something to do that would interest you, even if you aren't into the religious things. Last summer I did a 3-day art workshop that was super fun. There are crafts and environmental talks, too. Last year the week we were there, there was a guy who was a professor at some college in the midwest talking about energy policy and stuff like that. There are usually nature hikes, botanists, birders, or stargazing. There are interesting tours about the history of the village and inside looks at how it is run now. As a paying guest you have access to the pool hall, bowling alley, craft cave, library, and other areas. The meals are, in general, really good. They open the ice cream parlor every afternoon and evening except Sunday. They do encourage you to go to Vespers in the evenings, I find them to be enjoyable and moving services, even though Im not of that denomination. Nobody will kick you out of camp for not going, but I think it does add to the whole experience. Definitely go! It's super relaxing and honestly I just love having someone else cook and clean for me!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com