Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three days in the Daniel J Evans wilderness, WA’s largest!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 2:19 pm 
Ah, backpacking in Washington State’s largest wilderness, the Dan Evans. Perfect weather, great company (mike220 and slingshot), diverse habitats. We stopped at the WIC in Port Angeles on Saturday Feb 8th for our expensive permits ($54 for three people, two nights). $8 per person per night, plus another $6 for Rec.gov even when not reserving anything and doing everything live and in person at the WIC. Ouch. We drove to the not secret entrance from DNR land before the Third Beach trailhead and hiked the well maintained unofficial trail to Scott’s Bluff. One hour of moderate hiking got us there, a huge saving over going in from Third Beach, especially since the rope going up Scott’s Bluff appeared impassible to me from the top. Thick, deep mud on a cliff and a collapsing hillside = turn around, for me anyway. Good thing we didn’t go that way. We saw cool things, like the giant lemon, and an eagle family gathering. We were all tired after setting up, and the temps dropped from 60 to 40 in minutes when the sun went down. Mike hit the tent at 6 pm, and Marc and I only made it to 8 pm with the help of my Mr Heater Propane Campfire. Sunday we spent the day gathering firewood and rambling around the Toleak point area. We had a sweet all day bonfire, and we had it warm as toast until 10 pm, enjoying music from my Fugoo speaker. About half the songs were from 1971 by coincidence. Monday we were going to leave early because of the tides and big waves, plus Mike hurt his thumb gathering driftwood on Sunday. But some advil fixed up Mike’s thumb, and we all then spaced on the tide thing. We left Toleak at 10:45, and the going was rugged, clambering over rocks, mud and driftwood due to the big waves. At 11:30 we rounded a little point and could see Scott’s Bluff. But the surf was crashing into the cliffs along the way, shooting ten feet or more into the air. No problem, we just had to wait 3:45 for the tide to finish coming in then go out enough to squeeze through. I cannot imagine a sweeter place to be stuck for four hours, or better weather for the wait, 60 degrees, sunny, mild breezes. We made it back to Marc’s truck at 5 pm, exhausted (me) from the rough hiking, 40 pound backpack, and from being out of shape. Next time: leave my seven pound tent at home, bring my one pound tent.
Olympic National Park
Olympic National Park
The giant lemon
The giant lemon
Olympic National Park
Olympic National Park
Wilderness backpacking trip

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 pm 
Very nice! The passage is indeed not very passable prior to Scott's Bluff, at least as far as last Spring. It is a straight uphill climb to get on that bluff.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 9:09 am 
Good stuff Slugman. Sounds like a good time was had by all barring injuries. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
RodF

RodF
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 8:28 pm 
Great shortcut route! up.gif
Slugman wrote:
...plus another $6 for Rec.gov even when not reserving anything and doing everything live and in person at the WIC. Ouch.
On every visit to a National Park or Forest campground, cabin or fee site, have pride in knowing you've done your part to boost Booz Allen Hamilton's revenues up 11%! That's your fee to pay BoozAllen to operate recreation.gov (on top of the $182 million paid to them up-front to implement it). MAGA!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 10:42 pm 
As long as it’s going to a good cause! ykm.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 10:30 am 
I must be slipping: I forgot they changed the name of this Wilderness Area, and had to look it up.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I must be slipping: I forgot they changed the name of this Wilderness Area, and had to look it up.
What was it called before? Nice trip there Sluggmeister.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 11:17 am 
BPJ, it was Olympic Wildnerness; named changed a few years ago!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
reststep

reststep
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 12:27 pm 
Now it has two names. Olympic National Park and Daniel J. Evans Wilderness.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:36 am 
reststep wrote:
Now it has two names. Olympic National Park and Daniel J. Evans Wilderness.
Are they one and the same? Thank doesnt make sense.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Are they one and the same? Thank doesnt make sense.
Most Wilderness Areas are in National Forests, but you can have designated Wilderness within a National Park--Stephen Mather Wilderness within North Cascades NP is another example.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:50 am 
There previously was no name for the wilderness areas of the park. Now there is. Very simple. Since the park is not 100% wilderness the two names are not covering the exact same thing. I didn’t know about the new name until I saw the map at the WIC in Port Angeles. Personally I would have preferred to see several wilderness names applied to various regions of the park. Names related to the particular area.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 1:19 pm 
It was Olympic Wilderness, renamed in 2017 Lots of good facts at wilderness.net. USFS manages the most Wilderness Areas; NPS has the most wilderness acreage. I need to get back to the coast.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 2:40 pm 
I did not know there was an official name to it before. hmmm.gif I don’t think many people did, as not one person here ever used that name in a trip report title. The only reference to that name I could find by anyone ever was Rod F using it a few times. This is probably because the park is 95% wilderness and the name of the wilderness being the same as the park’s name made using it somewhat pointless.

reststep

reststep
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 6:44 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Are they one and the same?
Pretty much, yes

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir