Forum Index > Trail Talk > Personal use permits
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 10:58 pm 
You can come to my back yard and pick nettles if you wish.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 12:29 am 
Nettles are delicious. Pick with gloves and knife/scissors, (tips) put in plastic bag, when at home dump bag in pot, give a few rinses, boil just a little and sting goes away. Serve with a little butter, maybe salt. Yum! I知 looking forward to their arrival!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 2:29 am 
Interesting that people are getting their knickers in a twist about being required to follow some rules on USFS lands and some level of paranoia that a big bad forest ranger is going to gun them down for picking some berries. :
USFS wrote:
Personal Use: There is no permit or fee required for an individual to harvest up to 3 gallons per day of mushrooms. Mushrooms must be cut lengthwise while possessing, storing, or transporting.
quote wrote:
For more information about collecting other forest products (such as cones, evergreen boughs, wildflowers, herbs, nuts and berries, moss, burls, bark, driftwood, rocks, soapstone, precious stones, agates, geodes, and garnets) please contact any National Forest office.
Depending on region, semi-professional berry picking is quite a thing. In the Idaho panhandle people setup camps in hucklberry heavy areas and pick for weeks and fights have occurred between pickers over "rights" of a particular picking spot. I've encountered berry picking camps on a smaller scale around Stampede pass here in Washington.

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 6:33 am 
That part I posted cam off the Skykomish ranger district homepage and don't recall running into it before. I know the Tulalip tribe has an established berry patch they are cultivating but haven't seen any berry permit signs posted there just a statement take only what you need.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 8:04 am 
around shelton there was a lot of brush picking as I supported my other income. salal, huck, fern, etc....hiawatha brush company I think was the name.. stuff is used in flower arrangements...and I didnt need a permit back then...or at least noone said I did!!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Depending on region, semi-professional berry picking is quite a thing. In the Idaho panhandle people setup camps in hucklberry heavy areas and pick for weeks and fights have occurred between pickers over "rights" of a particular picking spot. I've encountered berry picking camps on a smaller scale around Stampede pass here in Washington.
There is nothing "semi" about it. Drive through Randle around the middle of August just around sundown. You'll find large tents set up in "town" where the berry buyers are doing business. Go out into the huckleberry areas and you'll find the camps. For most of the transients, huckleberry picking is a way to survive in the area until the mushrooms appear. Then, those tents in downtown Randle become mushroom buyers. Mushrooms are much more lucrative than berries. A guy I know, who is a local and really knows the area holds the record for most money made in a day picking mushrooms. However, he is worried and will go on a colorful rant about how the local tweakers are getting into his patches and digging up the whole mushroom which ruins his patch. That leads to racial slurs about the transient commercial pickers who move in for the season. Huckleberries are now big business. The transient commercial pickers--note the term Commercial instead of professional, move in and go to the patches by the van full. We who pick for our own use have been pushed out of our easier to get to patches and forced to go farther from roads. And yes, there have been threats of violence between the commercial pickers and Yakama tribal members. One tribal guy told me that shots were lobbed into their camp during the night. A woman who was a non-tribal member, but camping with tribal women reported being harassed by commercial pickers. The commercial pickers usually have somebody packing that which must not be discussed. Oh, and while we could wait until the berries were truly ripe, the commercial pickers tend to pick them too early (for our tastes). I talked to a local LEO who said that the berries don't have to taste good to be ground up for herbal medicines. He said that was a major use. One of my former picking partners now buys blueberries in Mossyrock. I moved away and plan to attempt to grow blueberries here. Huckleberry picking is no longer going out to an old log landing, setting up a small camp with friends and having a small reunion while picking a gallon or two of berries off and on during the day. Example: We were out picking and visiting in a patch, taking our time, and two vans of commercial pickers pulled up. We had to stop our leisurely picking and work harder at a less enjoyable pace to get what we needed. Note the word "needed". I have canned two or three gallons each year and then used them for pies on special occasions or I've given jars of berries to people for gifts. Huckleberries are special. It isn't all overpicking. It's the roads where we camped either being decommissioned or washed out too. I warned about my berry rant. There it is.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 9:25 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
around shelton there was a lot of brush picking as I supported my other income. salal, huck, fern, etc....hiawatha brush company I think was the name.. stuff is used in flower arrangements...and I didnt need a permit back then...or at least noone said I did!!
Brushpickers were coming to the Randle area each day from Shelton. They had to get permits and picked salal and beargrass. It's another permit moneymaker for the GPNF. You will see the vans coming out crammed with brush and people at the end of the day. If you see rubber bands strewn around, that's a sign that a brush picker crew was there. They band the salal and beargrass in bunches. They are paid by the pound

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 10:03 am 
Brush picking has been a thing since forever on the Peninsula. There was a brush plant in Port Orchard, Horlucks I believe. Brush picking as a business was mentioned in the WA State guide from the 1930s. My mom always told me to do well in school or I would end up a brush picker. Back in the day it was one of the few industries based upon theft. Now most all of the pickers have permission and often pay a fee. Things were getting violent a few years back. Brush picking the silent industry - Kitsap Sun

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 10:38 am 
I don't know how it is now. But up to 10 years ago, brush pickers were from Guatemala, Honduras, etc. ICE would stop the vans every once in a while and take folks into custody and that was long before the current situation. I wonder how it is now? Have permit numbers plummeted? I'll have to ask whenever I visit Randle again.