Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 2:50 pm 
Plaintiff in Chief: Portrait of D...T... in 3500 Lawsuits by James Zirin, All Points Books of St. Martin's Publishing Group, 2019. Here's a blurb about the author (scroll to bottom of that page). I did find the book very readable and highly informative. Available at the Seattle Public Library. I saw the author in an online interview and then tracked down his book. Now I am on to a murder mystery about 16th Century Ottoman Turkish court painters. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 9:05 am 
Bad Land: An American romance. An older book by Jonathon Raban who is a skilled author indeed. Great read so far. It is a national book award winner. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 3:31 pm 
Sky Runner by Emelie Forsberg Out There, the Wildest Stories from Outside Magazine Rising by Sharon Wood The Way Home by Mark Boyle Medicine and Miracles in the High Desert by Eric Elliott The Patient Assassin by Anita Anand Probably enough for starters. These are some of my favorites I've read over the past few months, all were checked out from my local library. Sky Runner doesn't have a whole lot of text, story, or depth, but what's there is enjoyable, and the photography is stunning. She and Killian Jornet are a couple now living in coastal Norway. They're both incredible mountain runners. Out There has some really entertaining stories. Happy Reading!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 5:46 pm 
Mr Putin By Fiona Hill & Clifford Gaddy Not so much a biography, more of a psychological portrait. Has given me a far better understanding of Russia. Fascinating country.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 3:35 pm 
I'm on a long losing streak w/ books. Just started "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman. I've been aware of the His Dark Materials series for quite a while, just never got around to reading it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 3:36 pm 
Prolific author Cliver Cussler just died. I've read many of his Dirk Pitt novels and tried a bit of some of his other series. RIP.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 am 
Life of General Isaac I. Stevens by his son Hazard Stevens. Hazard Stevens accompanied his father during many of his activities as the first governor of the then Washington Territory. As such he offers a premium eye witness account in addition to sharing privileged family letters and diaries. Isaac Stevens led the US Pacific Railroad expedition for the northern exploration. That party was a disciplined crew. Here is an excerpt from the diary of Isaac Stevens; Cook-fires to be made at two A.M.; the cooks and teamsters called at three, and the animals to be put in good grass; reveille to be sounded at four, and all the officers to be called by name; the whole camp to breakfast about four, and the teamsters immediately to commence harnessing up; tents struck by half past four, and camp in motion by five.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 2:24 pm 
The Ye Galleon Press was a small press that devoted itself to the republication of various books that pertained to the history of the Northwest. One such publication is The Twana, Chemakum, and Klallum Indians of Washington Territory by Rev. Myron Eels. It is principally an anthropological treatise that explores food, marriage, funeral practices, potlaches, and other aspects of the culture for the First Nations of the former Washington Territory. Much of what he writes about has disappeared. He mentions in the text an area that likely is still there. Far up in the mountains at the head of the Elkwa River [probably the Elwah River] are basins in the rocks; one of these is nearly full of black water and it is always as full whether the weather is wet or dry. In this water which is thought to be tamanous [possessing a spirit], the Elkwa Indians wash their hands and arms and thus, it was believed, gained their dreaded power.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 2:40 pm 
The Outer Limits Official Companion....quite the minutae filled book for sci fi geeks who love Outer Limits (original series). Nearly 400 pages of interviews, info on sets, monsters, scripts, the ins and outs of TV series production in the early 60s, and details on each and every one of the episodes.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
mike

mike
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 8:20 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
The Ye Galleon Press was a small press that devoted itself to the republication of various books that pertained to the history of the Northwest.
Yes, Glen Adams over in Fairfield. It was a labor of love. I have many of his books.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Apr 10, 2020 6:26 pm 
Indian Primitive by Ralph W. Andrews helps the reader discover the world of the First Nations in the Pacific Northwest prior to European contact. The practice of potlatch is explained along with the technique involved with making the large cedar canoes. The making of clothing, fishing tools, and weaponry is also discussed. The book offers numerous photos that nicely buttress the text.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Apr 13, 2020 11:31 am 
The National Museum of the American Indian opened on the National Mall in 2004. All Roads are Good--Native Voices on Life and Culture published by Smithsonian Press attempts to fill the void between the static museum pieces displayed and what is going on now within the breathing cultures. Numerous living artists of the First Nations describe the objects collected and offer insights into how they not only point to the past but also to their cultural future.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 12:18 pm 
Rodney Frey is an anthropologist with the University of Idaho. He is not a member of the Crow Nation but has learned their language and immersed himself in their culture to write The World of the Crow Indians-As Driftwood Lodges. The author describes current tribal life and offers helpful explanations revealing the importance of clan relationships. He also devotes a chapter to the the Sun Dance ceremony which provides spiritual strength to members of the Crow (Apsaalooke) Nation.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 2:42 pm 
David Roberts has written numerous mountaineering books which include his classic Mountain of my Fear/Deborah. But in Four Against the Arctic He shows his investigative skills in pursuing how four shipwrecked sailors survived for six years on a small isolated Spitzbergen island. One of the members in the party knew the importance of eating scurvygrass which added Vitamin C to their diet but their survival above the arctic circle against impossible odds is an amazing accomplishment.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 4:06 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
David Roberts has written numerous mountaineering books which include his classic Mountain of my Fear/Deborah. But in Four Against the Arctic He shows his investigative skills in pursuing how four shipwrecked sailors survived for six years on a small isolated Spitzbergen island. One of the members in the party knew the importance of eating scurvygrass which added Vitamin C to their diet but their survival above the arctic circle against impossible odds is an amazing accomplishment.
up.gif I've enjoyed a number of Roberts' books. IMO probably the most talented writer in the mountaineering genre. Plenty of mountaineering books are enjoyable because they tell compelling stories, but many of the authors just aren't that good at writing. Roberts is an exception.