Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Question, are hikers anti family snobs?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WaState

WaState
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 am 
We all know to be a real hiker that it takes the ability to walk some distance and be in shape. This tends to cut out the elderly, disabled, overweight, sickly, small children etc. These groups of people could enjoy the outdoors by using motorized offroad vechicals. But increasingly are being cut out and cut off from the outdoors. Are hikers snobs ??? Anti family? Inclusive except for the physically unable to hike in the outdoors???? I think so. Other Opinions????

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 9:14 am 
frown.gif It was worth a try to see if things would get better, but now I am wondering if maybe the best thing would be to get rid of the stewardship thread entirely. shakehead.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
WaState

WaState
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 9:32 am 
What a response, amazing. So a disabled person who can' hardly walk , who may want to enjoy the outdoors has no voice here??? Really. Think on this.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 9:48 am 
Cite one example where this is true.
WaState wrote:
But increasingly are being cut out and cut off from the outdoors.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 10:08 am 
WaState wrote:
We
No, your definition of a *real hiker,* whatever that means, is your own. It's not *We*
WaState wrote:
I think so.
It's *you.*

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 10:49 am 
Question: did wa state just put his own head in the toilet and flush himself? flush.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 11:21 am 
I was corrected once by a three year old when I asked her if she liked the family walks. She informed me that they went on hikes, not walks. To her, going on an outing in the woods for a mile or two was hiking. I agree. It is whatever you want. What is important is getting out, even if you like to dress as a princess.. She is an old second grader now--much older and not so much into the princess thing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 11:54 am 
WaState wrote:
What a response, amazing. So a disabled person who can' hardly walk , who may want to enjoy the outdoors has no voice here??? Really. Think on this.
I can't tell if you believe this stuff, it if you're just putting us on. Anybody who can hike, can hike. Anybody who can operate a computer can post here and have a voice. Did you expect anybody to agree with you when you're calling us snobs? Maybe work on your delivery a bit?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 12:27 pm 
Are posters that ask questions about who they can disrespect by applying some label trolls?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 12:44 pm 
A local chef was working at the Admiral Thriftway one afternoon and passing out samples of this delectable treat, and was happy to give me the recipe: 1 whole salmon filet ( steelhead will work in a pinch ) 2 egg whites 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 1-2 teaspoons dry dill weed 1/2 teaspoon paprika (for pretty) 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/2 cup grated hard white cheese ( Parmesan, Asiago, Gruyere, etc. ) * Whip eggs whites in chilled bowl just until they peak - refrigerate until ready to use * Mix in a separate bowl the mayonnaise, mustard, dill, paprika, and pepper * Broil the salmon, skin-side-down, until just shy of being done ( to your preference ) * While the fish is under the broiler, carefully fold together the egg whites, mayonnaise-mustard mix, and the cheese * Spread the mixture over the top of the fish and pop it back under the broiler until just golden brown on top. ( Watch carefully - the difference between "golden brown" and "charcoal black" is about 5 seconds too long under the broiler! ) * Serve and enjoy ><((((°> ><((((°> ><((((°> ><((((°> ><((((°> ><((((°> (* If you love a good salmon recipe, then the time it took you to read through this nonsensical palaver wasn't entirely wasted. *)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 12:49 pm 
I am an "anti-family hiker" because one reason I hike is to get away from my family.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 2:02 pm 
WaState wrote:
So a disabled person who can' hardly walk , who may want to enjoy the outdoors has no voice here???
How did you come to that conclusion. I don't see a question about who can or can't post on this thread, if that's what you mean by having a voice *here.* There's no questionnaire on physical condition to join or voice opinions on this forum. It's apparent there's no mental condition parameters either.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 3:04 pm 
WaState, I am one of those elderly hikers who (per your definition) is no longer a "real" hiker. There are plenty of short, easy (although crowded) trails that I plan to continue to enjoy as long as I can manage to put one foot in front of another and slowly hobble a half mile and back again. Many of these trails are handicap-accessible (on those, I can manage a mile each way). There is absolutely no way I would attempt to use a motorized offroad vehicle! For one thing, I have also reached the age and stage at which I have to restrict my driving. For another, I definitely don't have the strength to handle an ORV on rough terrain. Finally, I detest the noise and terrain destruction of motorized offroad vehicles and certainly would never try to use one! Up until recently, I regularly took my grandkids on hiking and backpacking trips. Even a 4-year-old can hike 4-5 miles! There are plenty of great places to go a few miles in from the trailhead. Of course by now the grandkids are grown up and going out on their own!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 5:56 pm 
I’m an “elderly” hiker, and don’t have any issues with access. I know I’m not the only one. I know some children get out too. The initial post is a prime example of someone not telling the truth about (his) intentions. Pretty obvious. Great looking recipe !

When I grow up I wanna play.
WaState

WaState
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 8:16 pm 
https://www.atvcourse.com/blog/2011/06/atv-riders-with-disabilities/ Sort of hard to hike a trail if paralyzed from the waist down. Right ?? Something worse than being a snob, is having your head so far up the rear end that you can't imagine someone who cannot hike a trail may want to be out in nature on a trail.