Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hiking after a knee replacement
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 2:56 pm 
I'm getting both of my knees replaced this year (about 4 months apart) and am wondering what others' experiences have been with hiking after this surgery. Does it feel weird and clunky or relatively natural?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 3:50 pm 
Havent heard from you in a while Bat. Knees not withstanding, I hope all else is well. I used to work with a guy who had both hips replaced. He started Telemark skiing right afterwords. Have you tried stem cell treatment? That's supposed to often times prevent the need for surgery? Look into it. Good luck.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 4:49 pm 
A close friend of mine had both knees replaced a year ago and he's been up skiing all season. I can't join him because I had my hip replaced 2 weeks ago & am learning to walk again. I'm hoping to be back on the trails this spring.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 5:08 pm 
A very good friend of mine has had both knees replaced. She does okay short distances on trail. Walking on concrete or asphalt causes issues. She cannot jump down from stuff, so I have to pick off-trail routes more carefully now. (Hard landings are a no-no.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 7:57 pm 
Hey BPJ: Yes, have been slowing down a bit as my knees grind more and more. Looks like my 20-30 mile days might be over but if I can do six or eight again I could live with that. Been probably three years since I did an overnight but I'm way too young to give up on the woods entirely (60).

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 pm 
kbatku wrote:
I'm getting both of my knees replaced this year (about 4 months apart) and am wondering what others' experiences have been with hiking after this surgery. Does it feel weird and clunky or relatively natural?
Be sure to discuss the possibility of bacterial infection years afterward. Do whatever you can to avoid this possibility at ALL costs! An infection in the hardware results in a seriously painful, and drawn out series of events.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology