Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "RC" an inexpensive midlife crisis!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 11:34 am 
I turned 50something and I'm trying all kinds of new stuff. First it was the stand up paddle board, now this:
Now I don't need to buy a jeep...or do I? Axial SCX24 Jeep Wrangler 1:24 scale rock crawler Rubicon Baja Yellow Shapeways: 1:24th scale Sliders, Hi lift jack, Warn M8000 winch, rear tire carrier.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 11:40 am 
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RichP

RichP
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 12:17 pm 
If you get a real one I've got some roads to try out over here. biggrin.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 12:27 pm 
I was trail riding near Reiter Pit many years ago on my moto bike and we were climbing the really step and rocky road up to the top of the Index town wall and these guys were coming down driving an old Ford Ranger (compact version 4x4) and a Suzuki Samurai. I was amazed that they were able to negotiate that road and going over huge boulders and very steep terrain with what appeared to be stock rigs. Not for me, I will stick with bikes, they don't roll. eek.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 5:57 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I was trail riding near Reiter Pit many years ago on my moto bike and we were climbing the really step and rocky road up to the top of the Index town wall and these guys were coming down driving an old Ford Ranger (compact version 4x4) and a Suzuki Samurai. I was amazed that they were able to negotiate that road and going over huge boulders and very steep terrain with what appeared to be stock rigs. Not for me, I will stick with bikes, they don't roll. eek.gif
LOL. Speaking of Suzuki Samurais wheeling at Reiter pit. Me crossing May creek on the Lake Isabel trail in the mid 90's. Damn those were some great times. up.gif
May Creek crossing
May Creek crossing

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 6:18 pm 
Wow, that's amazing! Hard to believe where those things can go! They are butt ugly and the ride is atrocious, but hard to beat for a lightweight, inexpensive ORV.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 6:28 pm 
Just waterproof an electric bike and add a snorkel. clown.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 6:55 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
May Creek crossing
May Creek crossing
Wow, very bold! up.gif Just learning about waterproofing RC electronics with Plasti Dip, I suppose real scale rigs are about the same when it comes to electronics? Have you seen 4WD Action on YouTube? An education on proper four wheel driving, recovery and cooking on the trail!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 8:00 pm 
Ive been four wheeling since 1990. Most of the places are closed off and gone now. Have some really wonderful memories around the Sultan Basin wheeling with my cousin. God rest his soul.
Hitting the wall  on the Highrider Sultan Basin
Hitting the wall on the Highrider Sultan Basin
Wheeling the Naches trail 2000
Wheeling the Naches trail 2000
A little winter wheeling at the top of the Highrider trail Sultan Basin
A little winter wheeling at the top of the Highrider trail Sultan Basin

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 8:42 pm 
4WDJoe

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 6:15 am 
Ah 4wd memories. Mine were "oh crap, what now." So easy walking in and walking out without the vehicle element to deal with! Have your fun then putting the RC into the pack and go home.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 1:42 pm 
Looks powerful. Can it carry a day pack, and for how long?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 12:44 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Looks powerful. Can it carry a day pack, and for how long?
Powerful is a relative word with something 1/24th scale... I carry it in a case with a lid I bought at Target along with the batteries in a firesafe box inside my Dana Designs Urban pack. (I use the firesafe box because the batteries have been known to ignite and or explode. While this is rare I'm not taking any chances.)I also have extra room for water, snacks and trail tools in the pack as well if need be. If I go all out, the battery lasts a lot less than intermittent use. I now have 4 LiPo batteries so I can get a lot of run time. I have been advised NOT to run continuously due to overheating the motor thus ruining them. I've replaced 3 motors so far. I have modified the rig just for fun. I used the roll cage and Lexan body top from a SCX24 "Deadbolt" to add realism and to further make this truly one of a kind. It looks ok but there's room for improvement. It's good fun especially now when we need to do our own thing and distance ourselves from others. I run this by myself away from others... It has been fun, but I can't wait to get back hiking on trails and riding gravel roads in the mountains.
The motors get very hot and eventually fail... Tiny screws make motor replacement a challenge. This was my first blown motor:
Learning along the way.... Glue new tires to new rims!
I didn't want to remove the whole top because eventually a Lexan body becomes a lot less rigid and cutting can come with disastrous results. A happy medium that may not be real scale but it came out ok.
Headed back for some 'wheeling in a few. Will report back with new pics.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 1:09 pm 
You should join us for a trip and try this RC hobby...trip to Darland Mtn (6981') last summer. Mountains, great camping, plus remote control your toy in 3 dimensions.
Girlfriend takes time for some artwork
Flying beers instead of birds
Chillaxing...
The windier it gets, the better we like it. This buddy is a very good pilot. (resolution to 720p supported on this vid)

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Damian

Damian
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 7:15 pm 
That was an awesome trip. Nice long 4wd approach and solitude. Apocalyptic air. Let's go back later this year.