Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiker rescued after injury on Duckabush Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 8:37 am 
Hiker rescued after injury on Duckabush Trail By Peninsula Daily News BRINNON — A 26-year-old man who broke his ankle while hiking on the Duckabush Trail west of Hood Canal crawled for eight hours to find an area with cell phone coverage so he could call for help, the Coast Guard said. PDN article

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 9:18 am 
Glad he was able to contact help. I've been in lots of locations in the Olys where my (older) GPS unit can't even reach enough satellites to get a fix, let alone get a cellular phone tower signal. The bottom of river valleys in the east-west direction (and their associated trails), given the steep ridges above, always seemed the worst for getting any electronic signals. Good to hear they got him out! Eight hours is a long (cold & wet) time to be crawling on trail or gravel road!

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:44 am 
This is one of those accidents where I think the victim owns his problem: - Running around dusk 12 miles in on a trail - By himself, no buddy - With only a cell phone to call for help Can't tell if he left a plan with someone back in town, but guessing no. He's lucky this wasn't a recovery mission... Many on this forum have said it, but cell phones give people false courage... I hike alone a lot doing Forest patrols and I ALWAYS 1) turn back in time to get to trailhead by dusk 2) leave a detailed trip plan with my wife and my boss-- and once I've done that, I don't alter the plan 3) carry a cell phone, a separate radio (USFS), a Ham radio, AND a PLB with me... Not to mention 10 essentials...

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 9:40 am 
I find it disappointing when news articles don't solicit the input of search and rescue to ask, what could the person have done differently? I guess I get why they don't; it sounds like blaming the victim. But think of how many hundreds of thousands of people saw this story in the Times or other news outlets. What a great opportunity for education.

graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 am 
HikerJohn wrote:
This is one of those accidents where I think the victim owns his problem: - Running around dusk 12 miles in on a trail - By himself, no buddy - With only a cell phone to call for help Can't tell if he left a plan with someone back in town, but guessing no. He's lucky this wasn't a recovery mission... Many on this forum have said it, but cell phones give people false courage... I hike alone a lot doing Forest patrols and I ALWAYS 1) turn back in time to get to trailhead by dusk 2) leave a detailed trip plan with my wife and my boss-- and once I've done that, I don't alter the plan 3) carry a cell phone, a separate radio (USFS), a Ham radio, AND a PLB with me... Not to mention 10 essentials...
up.gif up.gif

The only easy day was yesterday...
graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:08 am 
kiliki wrote:
I find it disappointing when news articles don't solicit the input of search and rescue to ask, what could the person have done differently? I guess I get why they don't; it sounds like blaming the victim. But think of how many hundreds of thousands of people saw this story in the Times or other news outlets. What a great opportunity for education.
I hear what you're saying, but how many of those who read about this will argue that the answer is cell phone towers in ONP?

graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 12:59 pm 
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/trail-runner-with-broken-leg-rescued-after-crawling-10-hours-in-remote-area-of-olympic-peninsula/ Turns out he wasn't a hiker, but a trail runner wearing "only light running clothes".

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:38 pm 
graywolf wrote:
Turns out he wasn't a hiker, but a trail runner wearing "only light running clothes".
He is a tough guy, but as a trail ultrarunner I have advice. I learned decades ago from close calls while running far from help , minimally equipped, without communication, that one bad step can be disastrous. I have a personal story or two about it that changed my 'invincible' attitude. Details are involved so PM me if you like. Solo running with minimal gear in places such as the Pasayten (or Olympics) can teach a person a lot if they survive. Trips with no mishaps tend to bring about a false sense of confidence. If nothing goes wrong during several trips in a row, or years, or even decades, then we tend to think nothing CAN go wrong. Same with climbing. I hope this runner learned from this close call.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
silence

silence
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 6:30 pm 
Sounds like he slipped near where I did several years ago while routinely crossing a creek during a backpack and broke my wrist. Sh..t happens whatever your sport or you could just stay home. Luckily, I was able to walk out with my partner the 13 mi to the trail head, but even so it was esp difficult with a full pack because of all the downed trees I had to climb over. Coincidently, during that trip we met up with a backpacking woman who had broken her leg crossing the creek near the upper Duck camp a few years earlier accompanied by 3 others, and she still had to be rescued. Both her's and my incidents were well before cell phones were even the norm. Anyhow, I can't imagine how challenging it was for him after this winter. The Duck isn't very forgiving. So glad he made it out!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 6:30 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
graywolf wrote:
Turns out he wasn't a hiker, but a trail runner wearing "only light running clothes".
He is a tough guy, but as a trail ultrarunner I have advice. I learned decades ago from close calls while running far from help , minimally equipped, without communication, that one bad step can be disastrous. I have a personal story or two about it that changed my 'invincible' attitude. Details are involved so PM me if you like. Solo running with minimal gear in places such as the Pasayten (or Olympics) can teach a person a lot if they survive. Trips with no mishaps tend to bring about a false sense of confidence. If nothing goes wrong during several trips in a row, or years, or even decades, then we tend to think nothing CAN go wrong. Same with climbing. I hope this runner learned from this close call.
I agree with you. As a long time backpacker and climber (1969 for backpacking, 1973 for climbing) I worry about the folks I see running far from the trailheads. Like you said, all it takes is one bad step (or a rock that rolls) and the consequences can be ugly. I now carry an inReach Mini that I can pair up with my cell phone. Even if I never use it for myself (or my wife), it gives me the ability to help someone else who may be in a bad situation. I truly hope that time never comes. ETA: I find it worrisome that some of the responses I see on the twitter feed about this incidence are portraying this guy as a hero. Yes, he is tough and showed a lot of grit and determination, but I don't think he is a hero. And, sure enough, someone is expressing incredulity that cell coverage isn't available everywhere in the U.S.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 pm 
graywolf wrote:
And, sure enough, someone is expressing incredulity that cell coverage isn't available everywhere in the U.S.
Well, it should be, and likely will be someday. I understand the desire to disconnect from technology and even enjoy it myself. But that being said, if it will save lives, I'm all for it. If you want to disconnect, you can turn your phone off or leave it at home.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 11:41 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Well, the point of the news is primarily to report what happened. It's the basic Five Ws of reporting: Who, What, When, Where, and Why. Some add an H of How.
HikerJohn wrote:
This is one of those accidents where I think the victim owns his problem:
HikerJohn wrote:
Not to mention 10 essentials...
Agreed, this was kinda on him. It was snowy and icy so obviously he should have dialed it back or even better simply found a less treacherous trail to run. My take is that if he had the 10 Essentials he would have not been in any danger of death. He likely could have fashioned a splint as well. As it was he seemingly had no extra food or clothing, which in this weather was critical. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 11:44 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
graywolf wrote:
And, sure enough, someone is expressing incredulity that cell coverage isn't available everywhere in the U.S.
Well, it should be, and likely will be someday. I understand the desire to disconnect from technology and even enjoy it myself. But that being said, if it will save lives, I'm all for it. If you want to disconnect, you can turn your phone off or leave it at home.
I wouldn't want cell towers all over the backcountry. But satelite phones are the next big likely leap forward in inexpensive communications. We shall see. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 7:02 am 
I am so happy he is all right and he is as tough as they get. He had better be because he is also an idiot. lol. I broke three ribs exploring the upper SF Skokomish canyon. Lost my front teeth falling off a cliff on Jefferson creek. And almost died from wasp stings on the Dose. The Duck is the only one to not leave a mark and I have done some of my stupidest solo canyoneering there.

graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:35 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
graywolf wrote:
I hear what you're saying about saving lives, and I get it. Also, I do turn my phone off when I start my hikes. Both my inReach and my phone stay in the pack, and they both stay off unless there is an emergency situation (none yet thankfully). But, like Rumi, I do not want to see cell towers in the backcountry. Also, I'm pretty sure the Wilderness Act would prohibit the erection of cell towers, as well as the power lines required, backup generators, etc. in the backcountry of ONP. If satellite cell service is the next step - great! But, until then, I'll remain an old curmudgeon who does not want cell towers in the wilderness.