Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 11:56 am 
RumiDude wrote:
satelite phones are the next big likely leap forward in inexpensive communications
I'm pretty sure this is going to be the case. Over the next few years we'll launch many times more satellites than we have orbiting now. A lot are designed to bring the internet to remote places.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 1:03 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
satelite phones are the next big likely leap forward in inexpensive communications
I'm pretty sure this is going to be the case. Over the next few years we'll launch many times more satellites than we have orbiting now. A lot are designed to bring the internet to remote places.
My wife and I camped at Fort Flagler last week. Just before 6:00 am on Thursday the 20th, we observed a string of lights, at very high altitude, traversing the sky from NW to SE. We counted 20 lights, all evenly spaced, with a few to the side of the "train". I talked to a park employee about it, and nothing was on the news. Later that day, he said that his wife did some searching and found a report of a similar string of lights over Florida. When we got home I did some searching and found out they were SpaceX Starlink communication satelites, Elon Musk's project. So yeah, satellite communication is coming to the masses, eventually.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 2:37 pm 
SPOT Gen3 is now just $149.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 3:19 pm 
It's not really what the hardware costs, it's the (recurring) fee to access satellite communications. Right now there isn't a lot of competition, this is a niche sector of the overall economy. SpaceX is launching communications satellites, their constellation will eventually have up to 42,000. By the end of this year, Starlink will have 1,500 satellites in orbit; there are only about 3,000 satellites now, total. Amazon and OneWeb have similar long term plans. Iridium is 66 active satellites. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2019/11/18/this-is-not-coolastronomers-despair-as-spacex-starlink-train-ruins-observation-of-nearby-galaxies/amp/

iron

iron
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 4:31 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
and nighttime skies will be forever ruined. perhaps the last thing that wasn't blatantly disfigured by mankind. sure hope there isn't a collision that fulfills kessler's syndrome.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 5:01 pm 
I believe the goal is to eliminate the cell tower altogether. Give everyone everywhere the ability to communicate and access the internet. Astronomers should be using instruments in space anyway. The price of doing that should be plummeting.

graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 5:11 pm 
iron wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
and nighttime skies will be forever ruined. perhaps the last thing that wasn't blatantly disfigured by mankind. sure hope there isn't a collision that fulfills kessler's syndrome.
Yeah, when I saw the parade of satellites and didn't know what it was, part of me was hoping it was a bunch of UFOs. When I found what it was, and how many satellites would eventually be in orbit, I was really disappointed.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 7:31 pm 
Lots happening up the Duckabush this month...things come in threes...one more needed. About the satellites....here is what looks to be happening....it occurs at the 18 second mark: Break through the satellites in leaving earth

Art is an adventure.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 pm 
Speaking of accidents in the Olympics, I wonder how Aaron Brengle is doing? The peeps running his GoFundMe haven't been updating.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 11:20 pm 
iron wrote:
The ones SpaceX has been sending up are especially reflective, so they look extra bright against the sky. All in a line.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 8:25 am 
iron wrote:
and nighttime skies will be forever ruined. perhaps the last thing that wasn't blatantly disfigured by mankind.
This! ^ I see no good use for these things. I couldn't care less about having internet in the wilderness. And I like looking at a dark night sky, now that's been taken away, and for no legitimately good reason....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 10:12 am 
But is everyday satellite communications from a mobile phone even practical on a mass scale? Won't the uplink power requirements drain the phone's battery way too quickly? Let alone that satellites have a big footprint and don't allow for frequency re-use the way it is done in terrestrial mobile networks. Is there even the data capacity for mass use?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 10:25 am 
Ah, the tinfoil hat brigade is out in force, hating what they know nothing about. No more dark skies because of a few tiny dots? Hahahaha! Dumbest thing ever written. Our whole civilization has destroyed dark night skies a thousand times worse already, much of the light pollution serving no useful purpose. It’s amazing to me that people complain from a standpoint of complete ignorance. They hate something even when they don’t even know what it can do or what it’s for.

iron

iron
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 10:54 am 
Slugman wrote:
Dumbest thing ever written
sorry. the dumbest thing ever written normally comes after you hit 'submit'. read and provide counterarguments. https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-starlink-satellites-risks-astronomy-space-junk-2019-11 the pros/cons of this simply doesn't pencil.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 am 
moonspots wrote:
I like looking at a dark night sky, now that's been taken away, and for no legitimately good reason....
Saving lives isn't a good enough reason for you?