Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Cabin above Deep Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 2:05 am 
Anyone have any historical tidbits on the cabin remnants above Deep Lake as you traverse between the PCT and Peggy's Pond? I recall IBEX had a tale but even he doesn't vouch for the authenticity.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm 
Tom, have you heard anything else about this? Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 1:30 pm 
I think this was briefly mentioned in this Trail Talk from 2009 - https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7977613&highlight=peggy%27%27s+cabin 4th reply down from Tom mentions this link - https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1971#1971 And then Ibex in that link said "I like the Cascade Mountain History that is evolving, un-moderated and free-wheelin’. I call it….. IBEX tales. In the late eighteen hundreds during the silver boom in Monte Cristo, a young Irishman came across the sea and then traversed the continent to make his fortune and to seek adventure. To his dismay, he arrived too late in the mining district to stake a good personal claim. Instead, he hired on with a company mine near the Pride-of-the-Mountains Range. The pay was good and on each day off he would travel down river to seek good drink and the company of a lady. It was with the greatest of luck that he was befriended by a wonderful maiden while the train was broke down along the banks of the Stillaguamish River. Their friendship quickly grew and he was soon supporting the orphaned Indian girl. They were both very happy and together they built a cabin to share in the abundance of the Sauk Prairie. On one especially dark day he was hurt in a mining accident and he lost his leg. His loyal mate lovingly nursed him back from the brink of death, and through the experience they both were enlightened with religious conviction. He was so struck by his conviction that he began preaching to all that he could gather. His flock eventually grew until he created a ministry that extended south into the Snoqualmie Valley. Over the years he moved on to develop a preaching circuit that stretched along the Yakima River Valley. He was so successful that he and his wife were able to retire to their favorite spot near the head of the Cle Elum River. They summered at their cabin perched high above Deep Lake. They were surrounded by a heavenly beauty and they chose appropriate names like Mount Daniel, Cathedral Rock, and The Citadel for the nearby peaks. Some say the quaint pond behind the cabin he named after his loving wife. But, the more romantic story is that the pond shares the name she affectionately gave to the one legged preacher. Peggy’s Pond This piece is submitted without a reference list and without a statement of authenticity. Just a good story told by an ageing mountain traveler. Laid down for the fun of the telling and the enjoyment of the listener. Gleaned from a few assorted facts and liberally embellished in the tradition of his Native American ancestors and the way they told their stories. "

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm 
It really is in an odd location, perhaps chosen to minimize exposure to avalanches? It's not near running water.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 8:48 am 
I don't know of any mines in that general area but there are mines at Paddy-go-easy pass. Could there possibly be an small abandoned claim/adit up on Cathedral Rock somewhere? Unrelated but I saw a very large owl at the cabin site two weeks ago.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 7:27 pm 
Can you even be sure that's what that is? There would be more lasting substantial logs in the area if that used to be a cabin. Besides, at that elevation where would they find enough large (even 6" diameter) logs to construct a cabin?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Yeti
Truly Abominable

Yeti
Truly Abominable
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:49 am 
Mining wasn't the only commercial pursuit that garnered cabin construction. Fur trapping was popular in the area. There are photos of cabins at some of the following locations that are close to Deep Lake -
Goat Creek and the Waptus River - https://digitalcommons.cwu.edu/frederick_krueger/935/
Escondido Lake - https://digitalcommons.cwu.edu/frederick_krueger/932/ and https://digitalcommons.cwu.edu/frederick_krueger/931/ It's likely that there were many more that went unphotographed and undocumented and have been lost to the ravages of time.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 12:42 pm 
Thanks, nice finds.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 8:40 am 
This is a fun thread!
Bramble_Scramble wrote:
I don't know of any mines in that general area but there are mines at Paddy-go-easy pass.
While there may be a mine hidden somewhere near the cabin site, it would not have anything to do with the mining at Paddy-Go-Easy. Those mines were gold veins in massive sulfides, and they occurred near the contact zone between the ultramafic rock to the east and the granitic rock to the west. The same geological setting -contact between ultramafics and granitics - resulted in the mines south of Ingalls creek. But once you get west and north of Paddy-Go-Easy, there is no more contact zone.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 11:50 am 
Sculpin wrote:
there may be a mine hidden somewhere near the cabin site
This mining claims database shows no recorded mining claims in the vicinity.