Forum Index > Gear Talk > Clothing link to Cancer?!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 6:12 am 
We put Tagro on the lawn once, 20 years ago. Worked great. Been thinking of grabbing some more. Might reconsider. Yet another thing to stress about. These "forever chemicals" have been in the news a lot lately. As with the BPA panic a few years back you have to wonder what's next, and worse. Lots of questions though. I'll buy that you don't want to put the stuff on your vegetable garden, and Tacoma doesn't recommend that IIRC, but how bad is it to use in the rest of your yard? Sure, your grass clippings can end up in the compost and over to the raised beds, etc. But is this worse than commercial products. And what happens to the sludge if we don't use it. Are the chemicals then any more or less likely to find their way into groundwater? Aside from not huffing Scotch Guard, I'm not sure what I can do differently. Start making my own night soil?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 9:09 am 
^ Yes, they do advise to not apply it on edible crops. The question then, of course, is how many people are going to actually follow the instructions? What about the person who applies it in his yard, and then moves? How does the next person occupying that piece of real estate know what's been put into the flowerbeds or gardens? What about the woman up on the corner of 49th & B*****l who had five cubic yards of the stuff dumped on the planting strip along side her house? She and her husband raked it out, covering an area about 50 feet long x 4 feet wide - several inches deep - right next to the sloped asphalt street surface, where the rain is washing it right down into the catch basin on the corner and right down into Commencement Bay? (Oh yes... "anomalous" comes to mind.... so what about the guy three doors up from me who has 10 cubic yards of it sitting on the planting strip out in front of his house?)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 9:46 am 
Ski wrote:
What about the person who applies it in his yard, and then moves? How does the next person occupying that piece of real estate know what's been put into the flowerbeds or gardens?
Yeah. That is exactly why I'm a little nervous about growing food at home. Who knows what was here before. Most of that stuff doesn't just wash away after the first rain. Or second, or 1000th. And yet, not even romaine lettuce from the grocery store is safe now. Damn the externalities, full speed ahead. But you gotta eat something. What's worse, the PFAS in our poo or the sugar in our snacks? Seems like when it comes to food and health there's always something to get excited about, but we have few tools for putting it all in perspective. Until it's too late anyway.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 10:00 am 
You know... honestly... I'd worry about stuff like this but... How many times in one lifetime can a person suffer from cancer? I've already been down that path, and they said I had 18-24 months left. That was in 2001. This is all bonus time. I should worry? I used to live in Tillicum, right across I-5 from what is now known as "JBLM". I was awakened one morning by a drilling operation on the adjacent parcel. They were punching holes down to about 250 feet deep, taking samples to see how far the plume of toxic chemicals had migrated from (what was then) McChord Air Force Base toward American Lake. Considering the amount of toxins our own government has exposed us to (note the mention of fire retardants in the article cited above by Anne Elk - the same chemicals that poisoned the drinking water wells up on Whidbey Island), I am far less concerned about chemicals applied to food crops or chemicals fed to the animals I am eating, and even less by any chemicals that might be in the clothing I am wearing. Nobody gets out of here alive. Worry = stress. Stress kills.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 10:13 am 
Ski wrote:
Nobody gets out of here alive. Worry = stress. Stress kills.
Exactly - that's kind of what I was getting at. Yet the founder of my previous company was famous for saying "only the paranoid survive". I'm so confused! It's making me anxious!

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Dec 24, 2019 11:10 am 
This Brian Clement seemed to back up his talks and would debate with anyone. Maybe you guys should message him and get back with your findings....

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 8:51 pm 
Ski wrote:
So.... in their infinite wisdom, the US government was able to get the chemical manufacturers to stop producing this stuff in country, but gave the green light to companies importing products using the same chemicals.
I will never forget biking along the black, bubbling Riachuelo through La Boca in Buenos Aires. It passed many tanneries along it's way and was one of the most pollutes waterways in the planet. I won't forget that smell. The chemicals they use in tanning leather are horrible for the environment.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 pm 
They should start rating which apps have the most cancer in them.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 2:48 pm 
blendergasket wrote:
The chemicals they use in tanning leather are horrible for the environment.
Yes they are. Several years ago, I drove down to Pacific Welding on Center Street to stock up on leather work gloves. The guy said "Buy lots, because the next batch will be coming from China." So, are we better off now that we're doing virtually no leather processing here in country and having almost all of it done offshore where there are few (or no) environmental regulations? (* I was just told over the phone there's an outfit in Germany - "J R" - that uses leaves for processing leather, employing the natural tannins from the decomposing leaf material. Sounded rather interesting. *)

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 5:04 pm 
Climbing boots were traditionally Chrome tanned which uses pentavalent chromium salts and acids which are terrible for the environment. Now they are mostly plastic so who knows.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:36 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
"Sitting is the new smoking."
indeed. Just had a book out of the library entitled Exercise is Medicine, and research bears that out that sitting--if you spend much of your day sitting--is seriously bad for your health. Research also suggests that exercise is more important than diet and may even be more important than smoking! That is, a group of smokers who exercise will be healthier and live longer than non-smokers who don't exercise. It has to be regular, at least 3 times a week, 4 or 5 is better. And the total exercise time for the week needs to be 150 minutes minimum, but more gives better results but not necessarily in a linear progression.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:47 pm 
Ski wrote:
note the mention of fire retardants in the article cited above by Anne Elk - the same chemicals that poisoned the drinking water wells up on Whidbey Island
The Navy is coming to test our well week after next. We live adjacent to sub-base Bangor.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:49 pm 
Since this topic's floated up again ... getting back to chemicals in clothing. Remember that aerosol waterproofing stuff you could spray on your clothes/shoes? I forget what's in it, but that's supposed to be pretty toxic also. But I haven't bought any since my last pair of suede desert boots, which was quite some time ago.
Neek wrote:
We put Tagro on the lawn once, 20 years ago. Worked great. Been thinking of grabbing some more.
It's probably all the residual antibiotics and chemotherapy drugs in it that they can't process out of the biosolids. Maybe even some residual opioids. "Happy grass"?? Like Ski said, don't use it for growing your veggies. gag.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 2:35 am 
so why would you use the aerosol when you can buy the Nikwax DWR treatment in a bottle of liquid and just soak the garments in it? works great. and I'd be far less concerned about that stuff than I am about corona virus notwithstanding the recent recipient of the "medal of freedom" telling his millions of listeners it's just "the common cold".

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 11:52 am 
^^ Was it available in the 80's? "Spray-on" kept the nap in the suede boots. In re corona virus, I happened to stream the PBS News Hour last night and they had a story on it. Now that it seems fully escaped into Europe (Italy having an explosion of it, and they have no idea where it came from), the PBS reporter said that the WHO (or CDC) or whoever, is now saying it will most certainly be spreading here. Have we had a run on N95 grade masks yet?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood