Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 11:28 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I've learned on this forum that overcrowding can only be caused by Instagram. And other social media to a lesser extent.
We must be reading different forums. I keep reading that social media has zero effect on the crowding at specific hiking spots smile.gif . With the ski areas (as with hiking), population is clearly one big factor but I think it's quite likely that for Stevens, Snoqualmie, and Crystal, being part of either Epic or Ikon seasons pass programs is a factor. Both do a great job of selling folks who get out much more than once/winter to get one of these passes. And once you have it, your incremental cost of going up again feels like zero (though Vail and Alterra know better - if you read their quarterly reports they have a lot of focus on both on-mountain dining revenue as well as lodging revenue).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 11:30 am 
It must be Schrodinger's media; 100% and 0% of the problem at the same time! eek.gif

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 12:00 pm 
Wouldn't it be nice for Stevens pass to turn into a mini Leavenworth like where it takes you 30 minutes to get thru during the summer on a nice day. Build more lodges, throw in a couple parking garages to enhance the experience.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 7:26 am 
If they build a parking garage, it will have a lodge on top. 3 floors of parking, four floors of lodging. I'm mostly just joking. But honestly, I wish they would better utilize the heavy rail track for moving people along highway 2. More in line with runoff, and contaminated soil. Before my time, but I was just reading about the old mini mart at Steven's pass. Talks about exsisting contaminated soil from that business, and some of the remedies. Apparently there is(was ?) a lot buried up there. https://apps.ecology.wa.gov/gsp/Sitepage.aspx?csid=11421

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 7:32 am 
Well you talk to birchire Hathaway that owns the line. Besides the 2 times a day amtrack runs that don't stop anywhere along 2 they are not going to give up moving freight to transport people.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 1:04 pm 
If anyone is interested the USFS is soliciting comments on a proposed expansion at Mission Ridge, much on private land but some on public land. New terrain, new lodge, new parking, new runs, new overnight lodging for visitors and a new "multi-family residential community". "Proposed development on the private land would include: two chairlifts, two pulse gondolas, a platter pull, a magic carpet, and associated alpine ski runs, including beginner terrain, Nordic skiing trails (also available for snowshoeing and snow-biking), a winter snowtubing area, access to backcountry ski-touring, parking lots, access roads, overnight accommodations, including a hotel/lodge, condominiums, townhouses, and single family homes, commercial retail, a day lodge, restaurants and other commercial/recreational services designed to accommodate overnight guests." "The proposed site plan includes 896 dwelling units (621 condominiums/multi-family townhomes, and 275 single-family residences), other support buildings, and approximately 4.2 miles of associated road access. Residential units are designed for full time living, vacation homes, and for short term visitor accommodations, which would be managed by the resort. A 57-unit hotel/lodge would also be built. 80 units of employee housing (primarily seasonal) would also be provided in dormitory or small unit format." They are really going for it, it seems. According to the EA "Even in a good year for skier visits, Mission Ridge is not profitable. There are no funds available for capital facility improvement. Mission Ridge has not been able to substantially infiltrate the Puget Sound market because of tough competition from closer Washington ski areas and British Columbia ski-in/ski-out areas. Mission Ridge cannot continue to operate as a hometown day-use ski area with outdated facilities." I always thought MR was a nice mellow uncrowded space but they are arguing it's unsafe, overcrowded and not economically sustainable. I wonder how locals are feeling about turning their day use area into a destination with overnight lodging.
Quote:
The existing facilities at Mission Ridge have limitations that have impeded growth and have put economic sustainability of the ski area at risk. For example, existing on-site parking lots have proven to be insufficient for current peak days. Parking lots fill early in the day and overflow parking is accommodated at pullouts along the County Road, at Scout-a-Vista Boy Scout Camp, and at Squilchuck State Park. A shuttle van transports skiers from these satellite locations to the Base Area. Beginner skiers are currently limited to insufficient amounts of learning terrain with high skier volume. The Mimi run, the main beginner run, is also used by all other skiers, because it is the only route to ski from the upper mountain to the base area. Advanced skiers that move at higher speeds are mixed with beginning skiers that are moving slowly, creating safety concerns. Natural snow pack sometimes needs to be supplemented by snowmaking facilities, especially on the eastern portion of the ski area. The Day Lodges are crowded with limited seating during peak times and peak days. The Base Area is located in a narrow valley and there is no opportunity to develop Nordic ski trails or snow-play areas in the existing Base Area. Families or groups that include non-skiers or Nordic skiers do not have recreational options at Mission Ridge. Mission Ridge lacks onsite overnight accommodations, is unable to meet the needs for families looking for a full-service vacation experience, and as a result loses many sales opportunities. This lack of overnight accommodations at the ski area along with limited infrastructure to handle the current increased use, are the factors that affect ski area economic viability.
Document: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=53981&fbclid=IwAR1lF95gpEbfIhAzo4k4joJve4eSfC9EflX0CJ-lL-4fWEZZ2m1Nrs2VNK0 Comments: https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public/CommentInput?Project=53981&fbclid=IwAR1cmBXS0fFpb6lwM7FT3FUjwt2mRzDvXpmgpp5ut-pduBN3OTaZD1J5KAY

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 1:28 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I wonder how locals are feeling about turning their day use area into a destination with overnight lodging.
IDK about "the locals" in terms of "local skiers", but back in the '60s the investors that built the ski area were also hotel/motel/restaurant owners in Wenatchee. So for many years "on slope" development wasn't something that was being pursued. With the improved snow making capacity that they have built out (and demonstrated over the last few years) There is much less risk of "no skiing during XMAS and new years weeks" the potential for real estate development close to the ski area has improved considerably. Real estate development is where the big profits lie in the ski industry. From my experience going on 3 generations of "family ski vacations" having on hill or ideally ski in/ski out accommodations really improves the experience. Being able to go for a week without having to wrangle little kids into car seats and having older kids be able to come and go as they please allows for a far more relaxed experience.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm 
Crystal is putting in a new lot though not a garage. They must have already had permission to do this otherwise it seems like there would have needed to be enviro review/public input. Below is from a press release where Alterra announced improvements at their many ski areas. Crystal Mountain, Washington The mountain’s base area will be the focus with a new multi-story skier services lodge, which will include a sales center for ticketing, lessons and equipment, lessons and equipment in addition to a cafe, retail, group meeting and event space. Crystal Mountain will also expand parking with a new lot to welcome up to 300 more cars full of skiers and riders. ETA: must have been part of the approved master plan. CRYSTAL MOUNTAIN MASTER DEVELOPMENT PLAN The Master Development Plan called for the addition of six new chairlifts, a year-round tram from base to summit, new lodging, an on-mountain restaurant, and additional service and maintenance facilities. The implementation of the approved plan began the summer of 2007 with the addition of the Northway chairlift. The most recent addition was the $6 million dollar Mt. Rainier Gondola which was installed during the summer of 2010. A new waste-water treatment plant was installed in the summer of 2012 paving the way for a new hotel and additional base area infrastructure.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 9:26 pm 
I would enjoy Nordic skiing up there - Mission Peak.

Wake_and_Bait
I deserve no title

Wake_and_Bait
I deserve no title
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 3:10 pm 
I know this is an old thread, but I can tell you that there was corporate people from Vail seriously inquiring about all private property from the resort east to smithbrook in 2020. Things are happening behind the scenes. They must develop closer to their private property. I will not be surprised to see a hotel and parking garage soon. Barricades were placed in the yodelin lot for first time after snow melt this year. Lastly, it does not snow in Washington:)

Treading hard
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 9:34 am 
People were parking their Tv's down at Yodelin and they wanted that to come to an end also for liability issues.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 9:10 am 
Judging by how much they've angered and alienated their local skiers, it seems like they're going to need that hotel for Epic travelers.

thunderhead
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 12:34 pm 
Snowshoers, backcountry skiers and hikers must now pay to park at Crystal this winter on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Season Pass holders do not, but if buying a single day ticket, you do. Not clear on how much it is to park: https://www.crystalmountainresort.com/media/news/parking-announcement?fbclid=IwAR3w8nvFocro9Y_spr2w6d7vftJRpeXbQmCLDCc2DNrVEuNRKnqWBTwuW_Q

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 3:38 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Snowshoers, backcountry skiers and hikers must now pay to park at Crystal this winter on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Season Pass holders do not, but if buying a single day ticket, you do. Not clear on how much it is to park: https://www.crystalmountainresort.com/media/news/parking-announcement?fbclid=IwAR3w8nvFocro9Y_spr2w6d7vftJRpeXbQmCLDCc2DNrVEuNRKnqWBTwuW_Q
I am okay with this. There are more cars coming on many weekends than can fit in those lots. Something had to be done to mitigate the traffic jams and full lots. It looks like if you have any kind of pass product, or a 4 person carpool (which I suppose means a family too) you still park for free. So a 4-person family going up to snowshoe or whatnot still parks for free. We all have to pay to park in sno-park lots, USFS trailheads, etc. And they say... Paid parking revenue will directly fund free bus transportation from Enumclaw on peak weekends as we embrace more efficient and more environmentally conscious ways of accessing our mountain.

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 4:10 pm 
Just to be clear, there is not any cap or limit to weekend parking at Crystal, regardless of whether you are a paying, or non-paying customer. So not sure how much this will limit congestion. It seems more about encouraging carpooling and funding a free bus from Enumclaw on weekends (I think you can take this bus regardless of whether you are paying customer).