Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiker rescued after injury on Duckabush Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 6:50 am 
The runner in question was interviewed in the Times. His position? "It's a calculated risk". Of course, that's easy to say when his reaction when risk caught up with him was to call for SOMEONE ELSE to get out of their warm bed, drive to the trailhead, walk a few hours in the dark; launch in a helicopter and hover over a wild valley and hoist him up. If people are going to take calculated risks, they need to be willing to accept the calculated consequences, IMHO. And I say this as a former Seattle MRC and ESAR volunteer guy-- I don't mind rescuing people when they've had an accident despite doing all the right things, but I reserve the right to call people out if they are just stupid...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 7:23 am 
Kiliki obviously didn’t read what I wrote. I am not for these new satellites, I just don’t like people criticizing things they also claim to know nothing about. I also pointed out that with putting things in orbit getting so cheap, astronomers should and will start relying on orbiting telescopes. Also, criticisms from astronomers tend to be based on actual knowledge, not crybaby guesswork like is happening with some members here. So I never said or implied that all criticism of these satellites is tin foil hat territory.

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 8:46 am 
HikerJohn wrote:
The runner in question was interviewed in the Times. His position? "It's a calculated risk". Of course, that's easy to say when his reaction when risk caught up with him was to call for SOMEONE ELSE to get out of their warm bed, drive to the trailhead, walk a few hours in the dark; launch in a helicopter and hover over a wild valley and hoist him up. If people are going to take calculated risks, they need to be willing to accept the calculated consequences, IMHO. And I say this as a former Seattle MRC and ESAR volunteer guy-- I don't mind rescuing people when they've had an accident despite doing all the right things, but I reserve the right to call people out if they are just stupid...
I read that article too, and I'm in total agreement with you. I was taught that climbing is a calculated risk, and it was my responsibility to minimize that risk not just to myself, but to my loved ones and anyone who might be put on the spot to rescue me. I take this responsibility very seriously. Trail runners, like this guy, remind me in a way of a motorcyclist speeding down the road weaving in and out of traffic. They'll state that they know their limitations, have things under control and that it's a "calculated risk". Fine. If you have a wreck/accident, I am absolutely going to help you to the best of my ability, but part of me is still going to think you're a dumbass. ETA: I do give this guy some kudos, because the follow-up article added some details that the original didn't provide. He had a raincoat, which he used with some sticks to make a splint. He also had an emergency blanket, and said that he always takes extra food and water, as well as a backup phone battery. He also said that he doesn't think he can run alone again. So, some lessons learned, and I sincerely wish him well.

The only easy day was yesterday...
iron

iron
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 am 
Slugman wrote:
Kiliki obviously didn’t read what I wrote. I am not for these new satellites, I just don’t like people criticizing things they also claim to know nothing about. I also pointed out that with putting things in orbit getting so cheap, astronomers should and will start relying on orbiting telescopes. Also, criticisms from astronomers tend to be based on actual knowledge, not crybaby guesswork like is happening with some members here. So I never said or implied that all criticism of these satellites is tin foil hat territory.
reread your post sluggo:
Slugman wrote:
Ah, the tinfoil hat brigade is out in force, hating what they know nothing about. No more dark skies because of a few tiny dots? Hahahaha! Dumbest thing ever written. Our whole civilization has destroyed dark night skies a thousand times worse already, much of the light pollution serving no useful purpose. It’s amazing to me that people complain from a standpoint of complete ignorance. They hate something even when they don’t even know what it can do or what it’s for.
we, or at least i, know what we're talking about. i have read about these impacts long before this NWH post. i understand the consequences of these satellites. you are the one with the kneejerk reaction criticizing others. you are the one uninformed. go crawl back in your hole.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 12:36 pm 
Here's the link to the story/interview with the trail runner. He did a good job on himself - both tibia and fibula fractures. Apparently anticipating a barrage of abuse, the Times didn't enable reader commentary. shakehead.gif Seattle man reflects on solo trail running

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
reststep

reststep
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 12:39 pm 
graywolf wrote:
ETA: I do give this guy some kudos, because the follow-up article added some details that the original didn't provide. He had a raincoat, which he used with some sticks to make a splint. He also had an emergency blanket, and said that he always takes extra food and water, as well as a backup phone battery. He also said that he doesn't think he can run alone again. So, some lessons learned, and I sincerely wish him well.
Sounds like he was prepared.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 5:04 pm 
Funny how making money becomes evil the moment a tinfoil hat wearer needs a cheap shot. And I have not seen even one mention by any expert on any link posted here or in my searches on this subject that the sky will be so lit up that average people will be impacted. Billions of people can’t even see the stars now. Just more nonsense from people desperate for something to panic about.