Forum Index > Trail Talk > Walking and thinking ~~~ thinking about walking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 12:48 pm 
Walking (hiking, sauntering, or whatever you wish to call it) is a great opportunity to think. Many people, including myself, often use a walk to help clear rtheir mind and think things over. Well, here is a collection of essays and exerts on the subject of walking. Maybe if you aren't too weight conscious you might even take it with you on a backpacking trip to read in the tent at night. I came across this at Adventure Journal. Anyway, got any similar books on walking to recommend? Let us all know. Rumi <~~~~~~slow reader

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 1:37 pm 

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 pm 
I like to walk, especially after a meal. I get stomach gas from time to time, and walking helps alleviate it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 2:17 pm 
Sometimes I walks and thinks, And sometimes I just walks.

Songs2

Songs2
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 2:25 pm 
RumiDude, Beneath My Feet is mostly strolls in Britain? In any event, I like to re-read the trails guide, or maybe leaf more intentionally through a small tracking guide. (I hike solo a lot, and am mildly interested in what is watching my progress.) For small snippets of travel, Roger Deakin's Waterlog is an interesting account of the author's swimming from south of England to north. It wasn't an endurance swim but was connected. At one point he had to return home to clean the frogs out of the moat around his abode. There'll always be an England. (My reading rate was about one chapter, or episode, per 12-minute train ride.) He also wrote Wildwood: A Journey through Trees. I'll quote a bit of the Amazon description:
Quote:
The reader accompanies Deakin through the woods of Britain, Europe, Kazakhstan, and Australia in search of what lies behind man's profound and enduring connection with trees. Deakin lives in forest shacks, goes "coppicing" in Suffolk, swims beneath the walnut trees of the Haut-Languedoc, and hunts bushplums with Aboriginal women in the outback
Both are small-sized. Rebecca Solnit is a great essay writer, often using nature as a hinge to expand on a larger theme. Storming the Gates of Paradise: Landscape for Politics and River of Dreams: Edward Muybridge and the Technological Wild West are among my favorites. I didn't make it through Wanderlust: A History of Walking, but others may like it. Her books are not quite small enough to be small enough for backpacking, but would fit well in a day pack. Stanley Cavell, The Senses of Walden, is an extraordinary (and small!) book on that classic by a musician turned philosopher.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:15 am 
neek wrote:
Sometimes I walks and thinks, And sometimes I just walks.
It's all good! Here is an article about walking, thinking, and writing. There are several links in the story if you care to chase those rabbits. Here's a piece about walking which is linked in the story. Rumi <~~~~walk, don't run

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:21 am 
The one time I was lucky enough to get out on a trip with Borank, I remember him saying, "Its just walking" while I was straining to keep up with him. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln