Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fav loop trips
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:19 pm 
I personally really like loop hikes and thought others might want to share some of their favorites. Anyone do one in the winds? My fav so far is the Maple Pass Loop, and hopefully I will get to do the Chinese wall 60 mile loop this summer.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 9:07 pm 
Enchantments loop cool.gif

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 9:08 pm 
Have to throw in the jackita ridge loop off 20

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 9:12 pm 
Copper Ridge.

MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 9:41 pm 
1) Buck Creek TH -> Little Giant Pass -> High Pass -> Buck Creek Pass -> Cloudy Pass -> Lymann Lake -> Spider Gap -> Spider Meadow -> Buck Creek TH (4 days) 2) Necklace Valley TH -> Malachite Falls TH -> Copper Lake -> Big Heart Lake -> Chetwoot Lake -> Iron Cap Mtn -> Tank Lakes -> Necklace Valley -> Necklace Valley TH ( 3 days) 3) Hannegan Pass -> Indian Cabin -> Copper Lake -> Hannegan Pass (3 Days) 4) Cady Ridge -> Dishpan Gap -> Meander Meadow ( 1 day) 5) West Cady Ridge -> Bench Mark -> Pass Creek -> North Fork Skykomish Trail (1 day) I love the loop hikes as well. MLH

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 11:04 pm 
Dayhike: Knapsack pass/Spray park loop, Mt Rainier NP. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7985153 Backpack: Seven lakes basin/Sol Duc river loop, Olympic NP. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8000463 West Fork/East Fork Lostine river loop, Eagle Cap Wilderness, Oregon. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8000056 Goat lake loop, Goat Rocks wilderness. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7985970 Larch lakes/Cow Creek meadows loop, Entiat river. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7978786

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 5:46 am 
Good choices Sluggmeister. Before the gate; Williams lake to chains to LaBohns. Down to Necklace Valley up to Tanks around to Iron Cap to Chetwoot to Gold. Up to Big Snow mtn down to Hardscrabbles back to the Dutch Miller trail head.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm 
Lots of good loops already mentioned. Here's some more. NF Sauk/Pilot Ridge, could probably be anything from 1-3 days. If there is still a log jam spanning the White Chuck River by the previous site of Kennedy Hot Springs this can be extended by a day or so by starting out on the Lost Creek Ridge trail (brief walk on road to close the loop). Icicle Creek/Frosty Creek-Wildhorse/Lake Mary/Ladies Pass/Lake Edna/Chatter Creek and again ending w/ a bit of road walking. Again could probably be anything from 1-3 days. Carne Mountain High Route is a really nice long day hike. Technically a fair bit of it is off trail but there is a good boot path almost the whole way. It disappears briefly a few times. Twisp Pass/Copper Pass with a bit of fairly easy off trail connecting the two passes. A few non Washington loops I've enjoyed were the Dawson-Pitamakan in Glacier NP, MT and Lake Alice-Toxaway Lake in the Sawtooths in ID.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 5:19 pm 
Good recommendations! Another I have been wanting to do is the Bald Eagle loop up off the NF Sauk trail.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 6:56 pm 
I desire medium danger williswall.com
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 8:45 pm 
Regarding Lost Creek Ridge and the trail between Lake Byrne and the White Chuck, I think it's probably easier navigating the sketchy portions of the trail if you start high and drop toward the river. I'm not sure that I would've found the trail coming from the White Chuck and climbing up to Lake Byrne.

kenbee

kenbee
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 9:54 pm 
You asked about the Wind Rivers...my favorite all-time best loop hike ever was there (actually all-time best hike of any kind!). Started at Green River Lakes, took CDT (Highline Trail) N to Roaring Fork, headed up towards the Divide to Crescent Lake, left trail and went XC to Daphne Lake, Bear Basin, Baker Lake, then back down to Golden Lakes, Elbow Lake #2, Lost Eagle Peak, White Rock, and then back to the Highline Trail to the starting point. Saw more people in the first 20 minutes of the trip than the entire 11 days following (during the middle 7 days, I saw more wolverines than people--one, versus none!). I posted a report back in the day here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8022232&highlight=wind+river. Plenty of great loops right here in our own NW backyard, but others posters are covering that pretty well.

schifferj

schifferj
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 12:01 pm 
East Lostine River from Two Pan TH to Lakes Basin (Mirror Lake/MoccasinLake) with a side to either Glacier Lake or Eagle Cap summit then out the West Lostine River to Two Pan. Alternative -Wallowa Lake TH up East Fork Wallowa River to Android Lake. Then over Tenderfoot Pass and Polaris Pass to West Wallowa River. Nice side trip up to Ice Lake, The Matterhorn,and Sacajawea Peak. No lotteries to deal with. The Two Pan Trailhead requires NW Forest Pass, Wallowa lake is free. Eagle Cap, has different type of scenery than the Enchantments but it is many, many times bigger and much, much better. Did I mention no lotteries and no permit checking rangers? Drawbacks? Sure. There is horse traffic to deal with and outfitters do haul folk’s packs up into the area essentially allowing for “day hiking” for the more affluent among us. You could even rent a pack lama should you choose to do so. Those things take a break whenever they feel like it for as long as they feel like it.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 9:44 pm 
schifferj wrote:
to Android Lake.
Ha, ha, looks like autocorrect got you. Aneroid Lake. Autospelling aside, I agree wholeheartedly with the Eagle Cap/Wallowas sentiment. Lots of ways to make loops there and it's just gorgeous.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 11:26 pm 
Android Lake sounds way cooler. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn