Forum Index > Trip Reports > Extemporaneous Exploratory Paddle on Hood canal
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 6:01 am 
One of the best things about living in the PNW is some of the -laces we can go to on whim. Last Wednesday’s weather and nearly glassy water on Hood Canal (and the fact that I didn’t have to work) were simply too much to let go to waste. Or at least I thought so when I left the house to drop the kids off at school and run a few other errands. A week or so earlier, while cruising around on Google Maps, I noticed an intriguing strip of what looked suspiciously like public land on the south tip of the Toandos Peninsula. I was only looking at this area because, Hood Canal has a lot of private shoreline where one can jump ashore for a quick potty break without being noticed by the property owner. I want to paddle from Misery Pointto Camp Parsons someday and the Toandos Peninsula is the most ideal spot to do so. Now that I discovered a State Park on the south end, it is even more ideal — plus it is boat-in only. By the time I loaded up and unloaded at Misery Point, I had just barely over an hour I could spend on the water. So I set my timer for 30 minutes and set out to see how close I could get to the park, before I’d have to turn around. To my pleasant surprise, I made it about 80% of the way. The only difficult part was the self reproach for choosing lunch before giving myself an extra 30 minutes round trip. Another 15 and I would have made it to the beach. The video is where my turn-around point was. And I threw in some photos as well. As you can see, the views from the park would be ok at best😉

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 am 
Nice way to enjoy the sun in winter. I'm guessing it was still pretty chilly?

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 10:03 am 
Upper 40’s. Not bad at all.