Forum Index > Trail Talk > Seals On The Beach @ Washington State Parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 9:59 am 
Why oppose this? What's the big deal? How cool would it be to watch these guys crawl out of the water and onto a coastal or SanJuan Island beach “All training activities would be non-invasive, and would not include using live-fire ammunition, explosive demolitions, off-road driving, manned air operations, digging, removing or cutting vegetation, tree climbing, construction, building campfires or infrastructure, or leaving human waste at any training site,” https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/02/27/seals-want-to-expand-training-in-washingtons-state-parks/

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 10:08 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
How cool would it be to watch these guys crawl out of the water
My reading of the article is that if you were able to identify the SEALs as SEALs instead of ordinary citizens then their training mission was a failure.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 10:25 am 
Already posted Navy wants to use State Parks for Training Not just on the beach - in the woods, behind your campsite, simulating an attack on you & your family

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 10:45 am 
This would be a lot cooler if it was actual seals.

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 11:31 am 
Back in the early 80s, (forget which branch ) were landing helicopters and running teams through the enchantments. Only did it for 1 day before someone put a stop to it.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 11:42 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Why oppose this? What's the big deal?
1. The military already owns waterfront real estate on which they can conduct these exercises. 2. The parks were set aside for the benefit and enjoyment of the people, not for the Department of Defense to play "war games". 3. The "big deal" is that guys creeping around in the woods doing "simulated" attacks on non-suspecting park visitors has in at least one case resulted in the deaths of military personnel, and has a significant potential for disastrous results, particularly when one considers that there are more guns in this country than there are people. While the military personnel might well be using "non live-fire ammunition", you can be assured those Park visitors will have their guns loaded with real bullets. 4. The military doesn't need to be occupying/using/abusing every square inch of publicly owned real estate in this country. That's why there are "military bases" for this sort of thing. 5. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should. This proposal is an idiotic idea for all kinds of reasons.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 12:17 pm 
Waterman wrote:
Back in the early 80s, (forget which branch ) were landing helicopters and running teams through the enchantments. Only did it for 1 day before someone put a stop to it.
I seem to remember this. I have also been told, by the official in charge at the time, that we were invaded by Canada in the 1980s. They landed a helicopter in the Pasayten Wilderness and unloaded troops for training. It was a quiet international incident.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 12:49 pm 
Ski wrote:
This proposal is an idiotic idea for all kinds of reasons.
up.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 1:01 pm 
Local police think it’s terrorists and shoot the trainees. True story. I think liking this idea is not great thinking, but to not even understand why someone might not like it shows an inability or unwillingness to even attempt thought on the subject.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 1:34 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
This would be a lot cooler if it was actual seals.
This. I clicked on the thread hoping this was what I'd hear about, lol.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 1:59 pm 
My question is how to stop this??? The military already owns lots of land with water access..it's going to have significant impact damage..the enchantments were impacted as well as the folks who were up there. Leave the wild places wild.. This has been a topic for some time

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 3:13 pm 
Sallie4jo wrote:
"...how to stop this???"
previous thread on this subject HERE Comments can be sent to the State Parks Commission at Commission@parks.wa.gov or don.hoch@parks.wa.gov. Washington State Legislative Members Email List: https://app.leg.wa.gov/memberemail/ Washington State Legislative Hotline: 1-800-562-6000
Ski, in an email of 02/28/20 wrote:
Dan Hoch, Washington State Parks Washington State Parks Commission re: U.S. Navy proposes to conduct “training exercises” on Washington State Parks lands In short, this is an idiotic idea, and I’m genuinely surprised that anyone holding a public office is actually giving it serious consideration. I am utterly baffled as to why it needs to be pointed out that this is an idiotic idea, as it should be clear and obvious to anyone with an IQ bigger than a toaster that this is an idiotic idea. First of all, the military already has waterfront property on which they can conduct their little “war game” exercises. There is no legitimate need for them to use publicly owned recreational facilities for such purposes. Second, and no less important, is the fact that such activities have already resulted in the DEATHS of military personnel. This cannot be overstated, particularly in light of the fact that there are more guns in this country than there are people. While it may be true that the military personnel engaging in these exercises will not be using “live fire ammunition”, be assured that those private citizens who are visiting State Parks and who are carrying weapons will be using real bullets. This is, in a nutshell, an invitation to disaster. Third, the idea of having military personnel, doubtless adorned in camouflage, sneaking around in the woods with guns in a public park set aside for the recreational use of private citizens, is off-the-charts creepy and scary. Fourth, and (again) no less important than the reasons cited above, the U.S. military has all kinds of military bases all around the country, and they don’t NEED to be occupying/using/abusing every square inch of the country. These State Parks were set aside for the use and enjoyment of the PUBLIC. They were NOT set aside for the Department of Defense to play their silly little “war games”. I’m not allowed to hike, backpack, camp, fish, hunt, or trap out on their military reservations. Why should they be allowed to conduct military exercises in MY State Parks? The answer to this is a resounding NO, NO, and HELL NO. Thank you sincerely for your time and consideration.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 5:33 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
“All training activities would be non-invasive, and would not include using live-fire ammunition, explosive demolitions, off-road driving, manned air operations, digging, removing or cutting vegetation, tree climbing, construction, building campfires or infrastructure, or leaving human waste at any training site,”
Oops! I should've read the article more closely. I thought this was the aquatic mammal type of seal Cripes! I feel so stupid! I know seals can't "climb trees" or "build fires" Nevermind ( It's too easy to get some of you folks riled up. Entertaining nonetheless ) You can lock the thread now

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 8:54 pm 
Used to watch Marines practice at Camp Pendleton south of LA. Not at all like WWII. Hovercraft landing craft huge troop carriers. Still do not think it is appropriate in State Parks. Are we planning to attack BC?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 pm 
When I started to read this, I thought it was about the animal seal. Should have known. Terrible idea to use state parks as training area. Users of parks shouldn’t have to be exposed to stalking....training or not. Good god what a horrible idea.

When I grow up I wanna play.