Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To your/our health (Covid-19 thread)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 am 
Zephyr started a thread on the North Bend isolation center for caronavirus, intending to talk only about the North Bend situation. Of course, people are anxious and want to talk about the situation more broadly. So this is the thread for that.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 12:29 pm 
Let's just say I started shopping when China made the news. Been stocking up on stuff little by little and I think we're OK in that respect now. Now, like so much else, it is a crap shoot. I really dread going to orchestra rehearsals. The high school band room is ...... carpeted and folks empty their spit onto the carpet. Yuck.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 1:07 pm 
Then maybe put “caronavirus” (sic) in the thread title? hmmm.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 2:13 pm 
Keep calm and carry on washing your hands! (Advice from ER physician son-in-law who already has a suspected case in his hospital in California)

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 3:09 pm 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 4:17 pm 
There's no reason to think cats can't get it. I have a kitty with asthma. I'm going to the vet later to stock up on her inhaler medicine and anti-inflammatories. I'm not at all worried about myself, but you've got to take care of your fur babies.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 5:40 pm 
This corona panic is tanking our markets. For what? Influenza kills far more people each winter than this cold/flu ever will. If you haven't noticed, Greta Thunberg has been quite for a few weeks. She's a Sanders supporter, pulling strings behind the scenes the wreck the economy. Sly little thing, isn't she.

neek

neek
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 6:41 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
This corona panic is tanking our markets. For what? Influenza kills far more people each winter than this cold/flu ever will.
Agree it's sad that it takes something like this to correct an inflated market. Not sure about your math though; 40-70% of Earth's population is projected to become infected, and at 2% mortality, that's up to 112MM deaths (vs 61K annually for flu).

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 7:06 pm 
I hope people around here are taking this seriously. I too am very skeptical of media hype, but I think this illness is something we should all be concerned about and prepared for. Some good news is that kids seem to be pretty much unaffected.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 7:40 pm 
neek wrote:
40-70% of Earth's population is projected to become infected
Where did you get that figure?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 7:55 pm 
neek wrote:
Agree it's sad that it takes something like this to correct an inflated market. Not sure about your math though; 40-70% of Earth's population is projected to become infected, and at 2% mortality, that's up to 112MM deaths (vs 61K annually for flu).
People who are infected but not showing symptoms don't factor into what we know about it now. Which means the mortality rate must be lower. I read that factors determining how likely you are too get sick and how severely include your age, bmi, comorbidities, and how many times you've been to the Enchantments.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 8:47 pm 
It will effect a lot of folks as nobody has resistance and quite infectious. 15 cases is a faux news figure not County US people from cruise ship. Already 3 cases with no China contact. Real danger for time being is economic disruption to supply chains. Fatality is still indefinite.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 9:33 pm 
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 9:49 pm 
Israeli scientists expect to develop a vaccine and have it approved within a few months. https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-scientists-In-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 10:29 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
Israeli scientists expect to develop a vaccine and have it approved within a few months. https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-scientists-In-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101 .
It will be interesting to see how that plays out in Iran which currently has the 2nd highest number of cases (after China), but Iran is also a major sponsor of the BDS Movement (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) against Israel -- it will be fascinating to see what effect on the regime's stability using (or not using) Israeli technology to protect the health of Iranian citizens.