Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 12:25 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Android Lake sounds way cooler. hockeygrin.gif
Can you get cell service there?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 6:07 pm 
texasbb wrote:
Ha, ha, looks like autocorrect got you. Aneroid Lake.
Yeh that happens a lot to me. At least it didn't make it Hemrhoid Lake. Another of my favorites is Dawson Pass - Pitamakan Pass from Two Medicine Lake on the east side of Glacier National Park. Its about a 24 mile hike with several different opportunities to make it into an overnight.

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 6:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Android Lake sounds way cooler. hockeygrin.gif
Can you get cell service there?
Only on Iphones

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 6:56 pm 
More Eagle Cap loops: Tenderfoot trailhead to Bonny lakes, Dollar lake, Jewett lake, side trip to Polaris pass, then back via N Fk Imnaha river trail. Hike from Lostine river road to Brownie Basin, side trip to Laverty, Chimney and Hobo lakes, then to John Henry lake, then drop to the Minam river, then up to Steamboat and Swamp lakes, then Sky lake, then down Copper creek to W Fk Lostine river, then to Two Pan trailhead, then three mile road walk to car. Or stash a bike at the beginning of the trip. Extended version: when reaching W Fk Lostine, turn right, then go over Ivan Carper pass to Lakes Basin and E Fk Lostine before heading back to Two Pan.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 6:16 pm 
An easy-ish loop trip I really liked: -- park at PCT Northbound lot at Snoqualmie Pass then hitchhike to Snow Lake trailhead -- Hike to Snow lake, then curve around the lake counter-clockwise to the Rock Creek trail that connects you to the Middle Fork trail, which takes you to Goldmyer Hotsprings where you can have a good soak for your first night (make reservations first)! -- through Dutch Miller Gap then camp at Williams Lake -- to Waptus River or Lake -- to Pete Lake or thereabouts -- to Spectacle Lake (a personal favorite) -- to Ridge or Gravel lakes and either stay there or head back down to the PCT parking lot (which would be a long day)

Ramblin Randy
Ramblin Randy

Ramblin Randy
Ramblin Randy
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 6:16 pm 
Can anybody elaborate about the cross country hike from Chetwoot Lake to Tank Lakes. Is it doable with a 25 to 30 pound pack?

Remember in twenty years you’ll be more disappointed about the things that you didn’t do than the ones that you did do. MT
MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 7:48 pm 
Very doable, I did the entire loop in 3 days. I never seem to pack super light so my pack was probably about 40 lbs. I took one day just between Chetwoot Lake and Necklace Valley. You just have to make sure you stay at the right elevation (5600') at one point. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8025554&highlight=midlifehiker Mark

Ramblin Randy
Ramblin Randy

Ramblin Randy
Ramblin Randy
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 9:05 pm 
I guess I could do a guesstimation (3miles) but about how far do you think it is from Chetwoot Lake to Tank Lakes or Necklace Valley? I’ve been hiking in the Alpine Lakes wilderness area for nearly 50 years with lots of mountaineering experience but I’m wondering is there a lot of steep steep traverses on loose rock or talus? Or maybe there’s a faint path that trekkers like yourself have left? Both my friend and I are about 65 years old and in very good physical condition and would love to do the Necklace Valley to Chetwoot, Big Heart, Copper Lake, loop and take 5 or 6 days to do it. Randy,,,,

Remember in twenty years you’ll be more disappointed about the things that you didn’t do than the ones that you did do. MT
MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 9:45 pm 
Unless you go over Ironcap the traverse is not technical. I'm in my early 60s and been thinking of making the loop again. The traverses are not real steep but there are lots of rocks and I took my time since I was solo. There have been several accidents on that route, but I think most have been on the over Ironcap route. It was rather warm when I made the traverse and took a nice long rest at tank lakes before I headed down to Necklace valley. Below is my tracklog for the route I took. http://www.hastingshome.org/Hike/TrackLogs/FossNecklace17.kmz MLH

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 9:49 pm 
I am wary of Ironcap, there seem to be many accidents there, choss.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 10:15 pm 
@Ramblin Randy I haven't done that traverse but I collected a LOT of information on it last summer before aborting. Send me a PM for some GPX data if you are interested.

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 7:35 am 
It is about 3 miles from chetwood, But it will be a long tough all day 3 miles. Will PM you some notes this afternoon after work.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 8:05 am 
I know that trail runners do this loop in a day. Once when I was day hiking to Big Heart lake I met a trail runner that was just getting to Big Heart around noon and wondered what time she made it to the Necklace Valley trailhead. Also, when I did the loop, I ran into two trail runners and their dogs on the ridge between Big Heart Lake and Angeline Lake. They had turned around after getting well past Chetwoot Lake because they couldn't find the route around to Tank Lakes. I told them after IronCap Lake (not sure if that is the real name) you need to stay close to 6500' elevation. If you don't have an altimeter, just gain about 150' or so after Ironcap Lake and push through the brush that is about 1/3 of a mile from the lake. After that just traverse over to the far ridge (about a mile) without dropping more than a couple hundred feet and a faint trail will await you. If you are someone that prefers to stay on a trail and rather hike the PCT, this is NOT the loop hike for you. I had done a fair amount of research and spent hours looking at Google Earth prior to my solo trip. I made the traverse with very little problems, but it sure looks different in person than Google Earth view. I even had screen shots from Google Earth with me, but never had to use them. I think the only place I almost went the wrong direction, is instead of going up the rocky valley to Ironcap lake I first started to go around the ridge, but after a couple hundred feet realized it was the wrong way. MLH

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 11:57 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Good recommendations! Another I have been wanting to do is the Bald Eagle loop up off the NF Sauk trail.
Also try Bald Eagle/West Cady Ridge from the N Fk Sky TH.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin