Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > RIP Trader Joe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 1:54 pm 
borank.gif Joe Coulombe, Trader Joe's founder, dies at 89. Not sure when the first Seattle TJ's opened, that one up on Queen Anne. I'd never heard of them until a Granite Falls friend (formerly from San Fran) mentioned TJ's shopping in Lynnwood. "What's Trader Joe's?" It quickly became one of my regular grocery stops. Then the UDistrict one opened. We were thrilled when the rumors were confirmed that one would open in Ballard, but we had to wait until they finished a Bellingham store. Then there was the crazy story about the Canadian who so loved TJ's that he tried becoming a re-seller in Vancouver as Pirate Joe's. Always wondered how TJ's managed to sell Two Buck Chuck ($3 outside of CA) with any profit margin. TJ's - one of the perks of west coast living. cool.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 2:59 pm 
RIP Joe Coulombe. I did not know there was a Trader Joe, I thought the name was a marketing invention by the Aldi brothers. The article is a little confusing because it talks about the innovative supply chain approach that makes imported foods at Trader Joe's so affordable, but makes you think that the innovation came from Joe Coulombe. Or at least I did. The innovations are all Aldi.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 4:21 pm 
frown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:19 pm 
Don't feel too special....we have one in Ann Arbor Michigan. We vist most every week....but my first intro was the one in lower Queen Ann if I remember correctly.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:30 pm 
TJs is nationwide -- The TJs on the Upper West Side of Manhattan is very very popular. One thing I've observed about TJs is employee turn over seems very low -- the one near my townhouse has many of the same people working there since it opened. That's one indicator of how a company treat's it's employees.

Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:37 pm 
True about the employees...same here. They due several things better and different than most stores.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:47 pm 
I was in attendance at the ballard one today.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:50 pm 
Freakonomics did a good podcast on TJ's. https://freakonomics.com/podcast/trader-joes-rebroadcast/

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 12:08 am 
That was an intriguing program, Cyclopath, thanks for the link. A whole hour analyzing TJ's. Here's an interesting interview with the founder: Joe's Joe. There are some amazing details in there not mentioned in the podcast. I wonder if Aldi's still keeps up with Coulomb's original commitment to pay scale & bennies. It seems like Coulomb built the TJ's brand concept and strategy, and Aldi's built on the basics.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 12:18 am 
If you ever find yourself spending the night in San Francisco TJ’s is the only place you can get an affordable bottle of wine or tasty snack. Their frozen entrees are surprisingly tasty. RIP Joe the world is a better place because of you.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 8:06 am 
I shopped at TJs for several years before I noticed they sold other things besides chocolate.