Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 7:28 am 
Thanks Tom, I sure dont plan on any jumps! LOL. I wonder if Ill notice any performance improvement with that 52V battery?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 2:16 pm 
Tom wrote:
Very cool. If anyone is interested in the Gravel X (ahem Cyclopath, seems up your alley) they are countering at $870 if you submit a lower offer. Sounds like the weight is closer to 40 pounds.
I had a look at it. Good components, 105 is considered race worthy. Excellent tires. Those handlebars tend to be more comfortable on longer rides. I take a size 58 and they've only got it in medium though.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 24, 2020 2:37 pm 
FYI the Gravel X is a single size frame. 58 sounds like it's for someone ~5' 11. This guy on EBR told me he is 5' 11" and loves it: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/show-us-pictures-of-where-you-ride-your-ebikes.23950/page-107#post-238955

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 2:15 pm 
For future reference, what would be involved in changing the crankset on a bike like that? You probably can't put just any road crank in, right? Are there options that aren't made by FSA?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 4:00 pm 
I believe you have more crank options with the Yamaha motors. https://newwheel.net/motor-systems/yamaha-pw-series

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 2:18 pm 
Anybody in here going to do the STP? 🙂

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 2:19 pm 
Tom wrote:
I believe you have more crank options with the Yamaha motors. https://newwheel.net/motor-systems/yamaha-pw-series
Thanks!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 6:32 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Anybody in here going to do the STP? 🙂
Takes too long to recharge the battery along the way for such a thing. I do know people around Centralia where I could plug in. And, that would require going to.....uh....Seattle. down.gif Bad idea.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 7:47 pm 
Do you see E-bikes on STP? I love riding and do it a lot, but have never done STP. Used to pour it in my gas tank though.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 8:38 pm 
What’s wrong with going to Seattle? Do you fear them because they don’t tolerate criminals who advocate suicide, as you do?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 5:10 am 
Slugman wrote:
What’s wrong with going to Seattle? Do you fear them because they don’t tolerate criminals who advocate suicide, as you do?
Here we go. eek.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 8:56 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Here we go. eek.gif
Yup. I've thought about STPing look, it ends in peeing (potty humor) but the recharging thing is a problem. A battery for a Bosch is around $800. I don't think I want to invest in a spare. There are people who actually write about biking and pulling a trailer with a gas generator attached, which kind of defeats a purpose of an ebike. You can also pull a trailer with solar panels mounted, and I feel the same way about that. I'm not too familiar with the limits of my Gazelle yet. We are having beautiful, mild weather here and another trip up towards and maybe to Conconully may be made this week. Last week I practiced civil disobedience when I rode to the courthouse to do a couple of things. I parked on County Property. eek.gif
Bicycle infrastructure is limited in this part of the county. I also think I have figured out how to access the chain. The Arroyo has a chain guard that completely covers the chain. While I had it up on the pickup, in bright sunlight, I could see a screw that looks like it holds things in place. Since I ride on dusty roads, I need to clean my chain.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 am 
My Blade is supposed to go around 90 miles on a charge. I can imagine that a dedicated road e-bike with the same configuration could go longer. Also, you can certainly turn off your power and ride normally when not in a hilly situation. That would extend your range quite a bit. Also, most people do the STP in two days. In that scenario you could charge your battery for day two.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 10:30 am 
There is "supposed to" and "actual". I'm heavy so that takes off some miles. If there is a headwind, that subtracts mileage. Also, you better have your tires at maximum inflation and stay in eco mode on flat ground to get the maximum mileage. My bike is rated at 80 miles. In real life, and after riding around on changing terrain, and yes, shutting off the assist on the flats, I figure 50. But like I said, I need to ride it farther. Pretty much everywhere I ride has a long grade to go up which sucks power. Also, the upright riding position isn't really efficient so that affects things. The good part is that my hands don't go numb, my neck doesn't object and my back likes riding upright. My longest ride was 30 miles. I had about 60% battery left. I rode up the valley on the old highway to Riverside, then on up a deadend road from there, and came back on the eastside road. The latter has heavy traffic once you get to the housing projects so I bump up the assist to go faster and get it over with. That sucks power. Mileage depends. And yes, I am well aware of the two days and would plan on doing that. I still think I'd need at least one stop to charge during the day and a charger at night. Got good friends from the Rochester area down to Vader. My challenge is to ride to Conconully and back. I shall earn a beer and burger, there will be no crowds and I shall sleep in my own bed.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 11:02 am 
BPJ, you should quote her and her obvious political cheap shot with your “here we go” comment. agree.gif