Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Break-ins
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 4:43 pm 
schifferj wrote:
Two days ago I was returning to the trail head at the James Slavin Conservancy area (semi-rural Spokane County) and noticed a car trolling the parking lot where four cars including mine were parked. One occupant hopped out and was looking in windows of cars. When they saw me approaching they quickly departed. I was unable to obtain make, model, and license number of the vehicle but I did call crime check to report the activity.
I just called Crime Check to report the incident. Thanks for the tip. I was skeptical that anybody would give a hoot about minor property crime but they were glad to receive the report. https://www.spokanecounty.org/1076/Crime-Check For reference, this occurred at the eastern terminus of The Palouse to Cascades Trail on the Idaho border in Spokane County about 5.5 miles northeast of Tekoa. At the junction of Idaho Rd and Cove Rd to be exact. Not an official trailhead but an access point for the trail nevertheless. Beware all ye who park there.
Wa/Id state line about 5.5 miles northeast of Tekoa.
Wa/Id state line about 5.5 miles northeast of Tekoa.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 4:59 pm 
You just have to hide it better, one hiker I met on here actually buries his gear-wallet-keys.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 6:17 pm 
I use a army green duffel back and haul it into tha woods somewhere along access road. Pain in the ***. Car rummaged thur at snowlake trailhead in 70s, car stolen from coulter creek in 95. Both unlocked and beaters. Gas cap last fall East fork of the foss.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 am 
Unfortunately the Foss is notorious for break-ins. Talked to a guy last weekend that had his window smashed at Heybrook. There was a suburban that had all its wheels and tires stolen in the middle of the night after it got stuck up Miller river past the campground.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:38 am 
Anyone feeling lucky about being prowler-free can visit Duckabush or Monogram lake (Marbelmount) trailheads to test their fortune. Last year at Duckabush:
Trailhead crime
Trailhead crime
My truck (94 4Runner) spends at least 40 nights per year parked at a wide variety of THs unlocked all over WA/OR. Nothing of value is left inside, club across steering wheel, hood cable-locked down, battery chained to chassis, less than 1/4 tank gas left. I occasionally see evidence of night-shift visitation but nothing of consequence taken. Last year the Duckabush crew seemed particularly spiteful, taking lip balm, hand sanitizer, insurance card (address info already removed), old map book, floor mats, emergency road flares, gas cap... Philosophically speaking, I consider it a worthy challenge to continue that joyful quest of our beautiful WA wilds without heavy feelings about seemingly intractable night-shift activity. I may even respond once again to the Duckabush's early season siren song, though with a refined practice of no "valuables" redface.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 05, 2020 8:10 am 
I like to quickly hang a cheap game camera up near my truck and post a sign telling of the camera. I dont know how much it helps, but Ive had no trouble so far.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 05, 2020 8:44 am 
They will steal or smash the game cam. What you do to prevent that is up to you.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 05, 2020 8:55 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
They will steal or smash the game cam. What you do to prevent that is up to you.
You have to do a good job hiding it. Ive never lost one. I figure they dont want to take the time to look for it. Lets face it theyll be on camera the whole time looking for it.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 05, 2020 11:28 am 
We need a volunteer task force of TH snipers....paintball?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Mar 06, 2020 1:12 am 
D. Inscho wrote:
Anyone feeling lucky about being prowler-free can visit Duckabush or Monogram lake (Marbelmount) trailheads to test their fortune. Last year at Duckabush:
Trailhead crime
Trailhead crime
Nice touch, replacing the lug nuts on the studs like that.

neek

neek
PostFri Mar 06, 2020 8:54 am 
Kind of dreading our upcoming road trip to NoCal (if it even happens). It's easy enough to leave your car empty on a day hike, but when traveling and camping, fairly impossible. Maybe I'll leave a box labeled "coronavirus test kit" conspicuously placed.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 06, 2020 9:09 am 
There are no 100% effective measures, but a ww kayaker friend of mine (you have to leave your "street clothes" in the car when we kayaking) uses an old blanket with various garbage items glued to the blanket, including a pair of tighty whiteys with some strategically placed brown shoe polish covering the gear in the back of of his beat up Subaru. Wheel locks can slow down a thief stealing the custom wheels nicked from that Subaru shown earlier, but I think ugly steel wheels are more theft resistant.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Mar 06, 2020 1:18 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
There are no 100% effective measures ...
+1 Part of the issue is that we try to put our mind into the head of the theives to guess what they are thinking. There are some obvious things to do, but many theives are not that logical and don't think like the rest of us. And different theives have different things they are looking for. I have known a few people with trailhead beaters, who left the doors unlocked, and STILL had their windows smashed. And some don't even want what is inside, but go for the gass, cutting the gas line and draining the tank. Doesn't matter what kind of vehicle you have in that case, they want the gas. Just a quick observation, the theives that took those wheels and tires put in a lot of risky work and effort for relatively little payoff. We just try to leave nothing important inside, including the registration. I often leave a change of clothes, some water, and a towel. I have never had a problem at a trailhead, though I have returned to the TH to find a vehicle burglarized just next to me. I don't spend too much time trying to figure out criminals. I just use a bit of common sense precautions and go have some fun. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 06, 2020 4:18 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I have known a few people with trailhead beaters, who left the doors unlocked, and STILL had their windows smashed.
Yeah -- a friend of mine used to live a few blocks off of Aurora in North Seattle during the late '80s and early '90s. Car prowling at that time there was so bad that they needed to not only leave the car unlocked, but windows rolled down and driver's door propped open to keep window smashing at bay. Obviously the radio was long gone. I think he also had some sort of heavy duty battery tie down with theft resistant bolts securing it -- as well as a "club" securing the driver's wheel. He was so glad when he sold that house. Location, Location, Location.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 06, 2020 6:12 pm 
Ski wrote:
We came back a few hours later and noticed that every car on the block had all of the passenger side glass smashed out,