Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Will and Living Will Preparation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 9:23 pm 
Seems like this Corona virus issue is finally giving me enough motivation to finally prepare a Will and to update m Living Will. I tried a couple of free sites, Doyourownwill.com and Freewill.com. The first one wanted a credit card and the second site had some kind of a glitch and I couldn't finish the process and print out the documents. A family member used Legal Zoom and liked them, they charge $90 for a basic will, which is what I need. Recommendations?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 9:42 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
A family member used Legal Zoom and liked them, they charge $90 for a basic will, which is what I need. Recommendations?
Check to see what revisions will cost as your circumstances change over the years.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 11:50 pm 
Do-it-yourself simple wills in Washington State: Washington Wills "Simple" is a precise term that they clearly define. And the process is actually fairly involved, but if it meets your needs, you will end up with a legally valid document.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 7:33 am 
I was thinking that all you had to do was write up your wishes and get a couple of witnesses to sign it. Guess that's too simple? We have to write in Latin or something?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 am 
I live alone, I never married, I have no children, I am a vet, when I die burn the body, poke a hole in the ground and stick me in it, put a rock on top......I aint worrying about who pays off any bills, cleans my abode, sells the car or takes anything I will be gone!!!! I am not afraid of death,,,,,getting there is the problem!!!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 11:44 am 
The FreeWill.com site actually worked pretty well after I figured it out what I was doing wrong, no charge and no need to add credit card info. I would think that one would only need a lawyer in cases where you have substantial assets and where there is a good chance of the will being contested , and some states will have different laws that might also affect it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 12:37 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
I live alone, I never married, I have no children, I am a vet, when I die burn the body, poke a hole in the ground and stick me in it, put a rock on top......I aint worrying about who pays off any bills, cleans my abode, sells the car or takes anything I will be gone!!!! I am not afraid of death,,,,,getting there is the problem!!!!
Well, if you have anything at all to leave, maybe donate to a charity, animal shelter or something? If not, I guess it's a "wash". I just became a grandfather 6 months ago, which is something I thought would never happen. She's the last of the line....thank GOD! Some will say..

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 5:36 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
when I die burn the body, poke a hole in the ground and stick me in it, put a rock on top..
If that's what you want, put it in writing (somewhere other than here) and buy a burial insurance policy.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 12:36 am 
Quote:
....I aint worrying about who pays off any bills, cleans my abode, sells the car or takes anything I will be gone!!!
If you have no heirs and you don't leave whatever you've got to a fave charity or something, your assets will revert to the state. If the state is your favorite charity, I guess that's OK! hockeygrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 7:04 am 
A few other things: If you add your executor to all your accounts ahead of time it greatly simplifies the work of the executor. As joint account holder they can dispurse the estate with minimal paperwork. Without that they need to go to the county court and get the will testified by the court. Without that court document, banks, etcetera will not allow access to accounts.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 7:10 am 
Last summer I paid a local attorney to draw up all the relevant documents. He has a very good reputation in the area and overall I was pleased with the result. It wasnt inexpensive, but important.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 7:26 am 
Arrggghh, My wife downloaded "WA Wills" stuff and I can see the two inch stack of redundand, ridiculous packets from where I sit. We have two kids...normal assets...off to one of the sites listed here. We are each other's executors, unless we both perish at the same time....ahhh...there's the rub.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 10:27 am 
As I said, Freewill.com worked really well after a couple glitches mainly because I wasn't used to the computer. I think I ended up with about a dozen pages.