Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Break-ins
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 12:53 pm 
Barlow Pass/Weeden Lake Trailhead- lots of smashed windows.

Vesper Peak
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 1:02 pm 
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
The gate is open at Deer Creek? Barlow pass would be an excellent place for a stakeout. TH's right on the road are the worst for obvious reasons.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 pm 
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
When did this happen Seattle_Wayne? Were you affected or did you happen upon it? Sorry to hear this. frown.gif ~z

Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 4:33 am 
RichP, that sucks! I never thought that area would have that crap going on! Neek how about having a place as a home base to store gear such as a hotel or Airbnb? I know an unlikely option.... Seems like yesterday talking about this very topic with NomadicAlpinistPiscator. No easy answer. One thing's for certain, one bad move and you'll be experiencing a week of the northwest through a plastic and duct tape covered window.

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 7:53 am 
Brucester wrote:
Neek how about having a place as a home base to store gear such as a hotel or Airbnb? I know an unlikely option....
It's a good idea and can sometimes work well, but when you're car camping and day hiking the logistics can be difficult. I'll just bring a big pack and carry everything of value - "training weight". Actually very little chance of doing any traveling next month anyway, given how things are going. Speaking of which, I wonder how that will affect crime rates - potentially more desperate people on the streets as they lose their jobs and support systems, kids out of school and bored, etc.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 5:53 pm 

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 9:25 am 
I think it was in the late 80's. I went into the Foss lakes and there was a person in a small travel trailer camped out in the parking lot near the trail entering the woods. I spoke with him and he said he was there watching the trail head to prevent theft. I wonder how well that worked?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 12:55 pm 
Zephyr, Last year around August, I believe. I saw a trip report on WTA where a hiker took pictures of three cars- all with smashed windows. (Gothic Basin). No, I was not affected.

Vesper Peak
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 1:00 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The gate is open at Deer Creek?
Not sure. There was a trip report on WTA from last year I saw with card with smashed windows. It looked like malicious mischief because it didn't appear anything was stolen.

Vesper Peak
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 pm 
williswall wrote:
The unaddressed concern with this product is the safety feature it negates: safe and quick escape from a damaged vehicle. Maybe they should test it at NASCAR first.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 7:09 pm 
d. inscho wrote:
The unaddressed concern with this product is the safety feature it negates: safe and quick escape from a damaged vehicle.
No, that's been addressed if you start looking at these products. One just has to think statistically: what are your chances of being caught in a vehicle in the water or on fire etc, vice smash and grab violations. Only the individual can determine the risk vice rewards. Personally, I think I would apply the film to deter theft if/when I am leaving a vehicle in suspect places consistently.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 7:34 pm 
https://www.kxro.com/aberdeen-man-sentenced-after-series-of-crimes-at-national-parks/ An Aberdeen man was sentenced after victimizing more than 40 hikers and campers in National Parks across western Washington. In a release from The United States Department of Justice, 41-year-old Michael Wayne Pickering was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Tacoma to two years in federal prison to follow a 25 month state prison term. US Attorney Brian Moran says that the local man prowled at least four dozen cars at more than seven different trailheads and parking lots stretching from Mount Rainier National Park to Third Beach on the Pacific coast, to trailheads in the interior of the Olympic Peninsula’s national park and forest.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 9:24 pm 
Quote:
He used the stolen debit and credit cards to buy himself luxuries such a flat screen TVs, gaming systems, a drone, and clothes.
B-B-B-But people only commit crimes due to socio-economic inequity or else they'll go hungry.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 7:00 am 
Ski wrote:
What puzzles me about this is: why would you leave your credit cards in your car at a trailhead? dizzy.gif
Because they were naive and were worried about losing their wallet/purse while out hiking. Also they figured they wouldn't have any opportunity to use their CC out on the trail.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 am 
Heck, I dont even leave my registration and insurance information in my car when I hike. Just think, they break in and take your registration. Now they know where you live and that you are NOT at home!!!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln