Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 10:40 am 
Energy against air resistance goes up with the square of speed. Power goes up with the cube of speed.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 2:19 pm 
I was going to go for a ride today but I think it would take Turbo power to barely move ahead in some of the wind gusts we've been having. Getting blown over might be a problem too. Ebikes are heavy but they still blow around.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 3:21 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Energy against air resistance goes up with the square of speed. Power goes up with the cube of speed.
No wonder I always think it's both. Thanks!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 4:21 pm 
Hot ebike:

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 5:05 pm 
It's interesting to see lower power motors and small batteries. Suspect this is a fad that won't survive but certainly caters to the purists. Specialized seems to think they can charge a small fortune for it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Hot ebike:
Did you steal it? lol.gif Yesterday, I passed a couple of white bearded guys who were on three wheeled recumbent bikes. You don't see many of those bikes around these parts. You do see lots of white bearded guys though. They did not call me a cheater. I forgot to ring my bell as I passed. I do not like the bell on the Gazelle anyway.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 21, 2020 8:11 am 
Rode 26 miles on Thursday, 15 of that going up. Anytime I head to the area of lots of county roads, I have to go up two battery sucking grades. According to my idiot battery bars, I used two of them. I had put the charger on before the ride but took off before the battery was completely charged. I'd estimate I had 60% left. May try to ride to Conconully and back today. May not.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 11:43 am 
Rode to Conconully and back--35 miles. I had about half the battery left to use when I got home. I wasn't in a hurry and had a headwind for the first 5 or 6 miles that was hard enough so I couldn't get up any speed while going down a few hills. Going uphill out of the wind was easier. The cars were polite. I didn't get honked at or smoked. On the way back, I kept the speed under 20mph because there were gusty sidewinds. Here are some pictures.

glenoid

glenoid
PostSat Mar 28, 2020 5:08 pm 
I haven't really followed this topic, so I hope I am not going over old ground. Today on the public broadcasting TV show The American Woodshop, S25 E10, "Wooden Bicycles" , they featured an E-bike made from dark walnut. It was a beauty, to say the least. Light,with all modern parts. (As a confirmed old DIY guy, I will need to start talking to some friends who have some of the fancy machines that were used to produce these bicycles on the show). The featured business was called "The Sojourner Cyclery".

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Mar 28, 2020 6:20 pm 
Or you could go chrome like arnold:

rolsen

rolsen
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 8:02 pm 
Just ordered a Rad Rover, excited to count myself amongst the growing number of ‘cheaters!’ I first started snowboarding in 1989. My buddy and I would often be the only snowboarders at Ski Acres (old school Snoqualmie). Skiers didn’t like us, and for some punk rock reason I relished it. Biking will soon be half electric, half acoustic, just like skiing and boarding. We’ll all live in harmony, eventually.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 8:00 am 
If you are riding much, you will ride acoustic and assisted on your e-bike to save the battery. I turn my assist off on flats unless there is a head wind or traffic is nasty. I am happy with the battery mileage I got on the Conconully ride. I haven't ridden much since due to some pretty good winds and nasty weather.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 5:10 am 
I wonder how badly all this virus stuff will delay the shipment of my new Blade?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 5:17 am 
Sounds like they shipped from China.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I haven't ridden much since due to some pretty good winds and nasty weather.
Headwinds are like evil hills, you spend all that energy going up, and never get your reward on the other side. But you have a motor for that? Are you saying the battery and motor are big enough they turn the bike into a sail when the wind blows sideways?