Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 10:14 am 
neek wrote:
Been thinking about what the nearest safe water to Seattle is. Would I wash dishes in filtered/boiled water from Lake WA?
Absolutely. I mean, in an apocalyptic situation like we're talking about, my cleanliness standards for my dishes will slip a little. I would definitely drink from Lake Wash if I had no other choice. In nature shows you see zebras drinking from a crocodile infested river, same reason. The crap in the water might get me, thirst definitely will.
neek wrote:
Are streams from above, say, 1000 ft in the Issaquah Alps safe to drink from after treatment?
Let's talk about bikes again. Part of why the Paradise fire was so deadly was the streets became an instant traffic jam. We sounds all expect our cars to be useless in a bad enough disaster. This is one of those "bring a raincoat and hope for clear skies" kind of things.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 2:17 pm 
My ebike won't work very well on the hills after a bit. I do have an acoustic bike backup. I biked around a bit when we were cut off during the 2006 flood. The only gas available at the only gas station was super premium extra costly. There wasn't much of anywhere to bike to other than down the road to see if the water had gone down. During an earlier, longer cut off, my enthusiasm for biking was ruined when a friend pointed out that we had no cops available and the local drunks were driving around.....drunk.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm 
The privileged people with the e bikes are gonna be fine! They're going to be makin 45 mph getaways up steep trails, going for days up into the mountains. With ability to carry all the water they need!!! All while just sitting there driving, probably drinkin a lemonade!!! Lewis and Clark didn't have ebikes!!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 5:23 pm 
My eyes are getting bad. Today I read the title as "Beijing Prepared for Unexpected Calamity".

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 6:09 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
The privileged people with the e bikes are gonna be fine! They're going to be makin 45 mph getaways up steep trails, going for days up into the mountains. With ability to carry all the water they need!!! All while just sitting there driving, probably drinkin a lemonade!!! Lewis and Clark didn't have ebikes!!!
That's a cheery thought! I better start watching the hacking videos so I can make mine go 60mph for 200 miles.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 8:05 pm 
If water were an issue, I would first use what’s in my hot water tank, though come to think of it, I might not have access to my apartment.... then I would use lake Sammamish. Though I’d rather be some distance from shore. I’ve seen what some of the water coming off of Cougar mt. looks like. It’s really, really, really bad looking. I would sooner drive some distance into the mountains and get water there.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 am 
It would not surprise me one bit if we find China did this on purpose. Look at the sheep in this country and how they've reacted. Going crazy buying toilet paper?!?!?! Just the downturn in the market (however temporary) is enough to tell me they could have planned this for this purpose alone.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
neek

neek
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 7:16 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
It would not surprise me one bit if we find China did this on purpose. Look at the sheep in this country and how they've reacted. Going crazy buying toilet paper?!?!?! Just the downturn in the market (however temporary) is enough to tell me they could have planned this for this purpose alone.
Breaking into the Jack Daniels already??

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 am 
OK, the name calling using sheep has just made the poster someone not to be taken seriously. Tin foil time, me thinks.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 9:27 am 
neek wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Breaking into the Jack Daniels already??
Not at all. Think about it. The Chinese dont care how many of their own people they kill. They're certainly pissed off at Trump and the US for our actions as of late. It shouldnt surprise anyone they very well could have cooked this up in a lab. Hell, the town this originated in IS WHERE said lab exists........

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 9:33 am 
TP hoarding explained: https://www.yahoo.com/news/theres-plenty-toilet-paper-us-122309255.html

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 9:45 am 
treeswarper wrote:
OK, the name calling using sheep has just made the poster someone not to be taken seriously. Tin foil time, me thinks.
Ok, so using lemmings instead of sheep somehow would have given legitimacy to my claim? Give me a break. Like Tommy Lee Jones said in Men in Black, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." Good lord, look at the reactions people are having. We'd be better off if the Dow Jones was run by Vulcans instead of humans at this point. Just the irrational run on TP adds to my point. Not a run on food, but TP? Please.

neek

neek
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 am 
treeswarper wrote:
The most important thing I learned after a decade in management: let people dig their own grave. Generally doesn't take long for them to reach China.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 pm 
I won't lie. I am glad we left King County 2 years ago and have been building a farm. I'm homeschooling our boys currently until what happens, happens. Life goes on though - seedling are growing, spring will come and crops need to go in.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 2:32 pm