Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Break-ins
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 7:47 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Heck, I dont even leave my registration and insurance information in my car when I hike. Just think, they break in and take your registration. Now they know where you live and that you are NOT at home!!!
^ yes! Quite obvious.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Fullripbrian

Fullripbrian
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 am 
I think it’s a great idea to leave your cc in your car at the TH. Break-ins occur even if the offender has no idea what goodies they could make off with. From following these cases, seems that’s one of the better methods LEO’s have to catch and charge the offenders. They are caught on security cameras at the Forks trading post or Aberdeen Walmart using stolen credit cards to make purchases. That’s the evidence that leads to criminal charges and guilty verdicts. Might be the difference between 6 months and six years behind bars. Walmart is doing the lord’s work here. Leave your credit cards in the car and help get these folks out of the woods and off the streets.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 9:29 am 
catsp wrote:
But would I specifically worry about leaving my credit card in the vehicle? I don't see why.
Agree a stolen card is not usually a huge deal (except when it is), but leaving it might signal to the thief that you are a fool who is likely to have left more goodies.
catsp wrote:
Specifically, the worry that a thief is going to break in, take the documents, presume that I'm going to be out of the house...
Exactly what recently happened to a close family member, along with slashed tires for good measure. One anecdote, yes, but when it's close to home it's hard to ignore.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 10:13 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Quote:
He used the stolen debit and credit cards to buy himself luxuries such a flat screen TVs, gaming systems, a drone, and clothes.
B-B-B-But people only commit crimes due to socio-economic inequity or else they'll go hungry.
You are exploding a myth that doesn’t exist. Loosen the tinfoil a bit. No sane person thinks people “only” commit crimes for food or because of social inequity. Ever heard of “drugs”? doh.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am 
moonspots wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Heck, I dont even leave my registration and insurance information in my car when I hike. Just think, they break in and take your registration. Now they know where you live and that you are NOT at home!!!
^ yes! Quite obvious.
Maybe to you! Whenever I talk to people parked at trail heads NOBODY, and I mean nobody takes their information with them@!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 11:00 am 
Slugman wrote:
You are exploding a myth that doesn’t exist. Loosen the tinfoil a bit. No sane person thinks people “only” commit crimes for food or because of social inequity. Ever heard of “drugs”? doh.gif
DUDE, like everybody else on your side, youve LOST your sense of humor! He's joking!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 2:41 pm 
catsp wrote:
I wanted to respond to graywolf's comment to clarify (though it seems to have been deleted). "I carry my registration and wallet (credit cards, etc) with me, and I don't count those as "overnight gear"." I should probably clarify that I don't leave my wallet (with or without credit cards) in the car. I do leave my registration on the car. My (attempted) point was that of all the concerns I have about leaving my car at a trailhead, and of all the things I worry might get damaged or stolen, a credit card is pretty much at the bottom of the list. "Are you not strong enough to carry those?" Like I mention above, I do carry my wallet, but of course this means I have to make some hard decisions on the other gear I'm able to carry as a result.
I removed my post because I considered it too sarcastic. But seriously, carrying your wallet means you won't be able to carry other gear? Here's the wallet I use for backpacking: https://www.wheredoyouroam.com/shop

The only easy day was yesterday...
graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 3:18 pm 
Whew, glad to hear it. smile.gif

gb

gb
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 pm 
Seventy2002 wrote:
https://www.kxro.com/aberdeen-man-sentenced-after-series-of-crimes-at-national-parks/ An Aberdeen man was sentenced after victimizing more than 40 hikers and campers in National Parks across western Washington. In a release from The United States Department of Justice, 41-year-old Michael Wayne Pickering was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Tacoma to two years in federal prison to follow a 25 month state prison term. US Attorney Brian Moran says that the local man prowled at least four dozen cars at more than seven different trailheads and parking lots stretching from Mount Rainier National Park to Third Beach on the Pacific coast, to trailheads in the interior of the Olympic Peninsula’s national park and forest.
Well it looks like the idiot Picklewing got his just reward. let the a*& rot.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 14, 2020 6:29 pm 
This thread makes me think of they sold meth on Amazon and delivered it in 2 days with a Prime, we'd have fewer TH break ins. No street dealer is going to compete with Bezos on price.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 11:31 am 
graywolf wrote:
I removed my post because I considered it too sarcastic. But seriously, carrying your wallet means you won't be able to carry other gear? Here's the wallet I use for backpacking: https://www.wheredoyouroam.com/shop
I use a ziploc baggie. Practically free. Even cheaper if I get a box of off-brand at RiteAid's dollar aisle.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 5:15 am 
winksmile.gif

rossb

rossb
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 6:01 pm 
Quote:
cash, one credit card, drivers license, insurance card. It all fits into a tiny zippered case
You mean a wallet. smile.gif I have a hiking wallet, and an everyday wallet. Until recently, my hiking wallet was one made by Simblissity. More or less this. I really liked it because it could function just fine as a "real wallet". It has a spot for cards, which I filled with my drivers license, credit and ATM card. You can put cash in there and easily sort through it (like a real wallet) which is practically impossible with a money clip or plastic bag. It also had a lanyard ring, which means I just hooked it to the keys while driving, and then hooked the whole mess to the inside of my pack while hiking. It wore about half an ounce, and if I was lazy in moving my stuff back to my regular wallet, it didn't matter. I could pull out cash just fine, making my regular wallet essentially just the holder of additional cards (ORCA, etc.) and change. Oh, it had a change pocket, I just rarely used it. Unfortunately, those days are gone. They don't make those wallets anymore. After some time, I settled on something similar, made by MLD. It is a fine wallet, it just lacks a lanyard, as well as a closure system. I sewed a couple loops on it, and it works great for the mountains, but it is still a bit clunky for everyday use. The wallets graywolf mentioned look gorgeous. I just wonder if it is essentially a small bag, or if you can pull money out and sort through the way you can with a "real wallet". In other words, do you fold the money up, and put it in there (like a money clip) or is there a wrap around compartment that holds the paper bills? (I can't tell from the website).

graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 7:44 pm 
rossb wrote:
The wallets graywolf mentioned look gorgeous. I just wonder if it is essentially a small bag, or if you can pull money out and sort through the way you can with a "real wallet". In other words, do you fold the money up, and put it in there (like a money clip) or is there a wrap around compartment that holds the paper bills? (I can't tell from the website).
Here's a review for ya: https://darwinonthetrail.com/2017/09/18/lifestyle-review-the-roam-wallet/

ree

ree
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm 
Sorry to hear about that Rich. Here's some good news! At least one trailhead scumbag will be off to prison! rocker.gif banana.gif