Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Immunocompromised folks, what are you doing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 9:26 am 
Hey y'all, I haven't posted in years. Been battling the Big C since 2016. I'm putting up a good fight and am on a miracle gene therapy drug now that's working. My odds of it working for long aren't super great but fingers crossed. I found a lump in 2016 and became stage 4 in 2018. So...now we're in 2020 the COVID-19 Era. I've been super healthy considering that my blood counts are all weird from my drug and all the ladies in my cancer FB forums are quite freaked out currently. My Kaiser oncologist has put me on phone visits only I take as many immune system supplements as my onco. pharmacist approves of a few that he doesn't. I work in a very small office so am still working But, I teach private students at a music store that won't allow us to "Skype" etc. I haven't been able to walk or hike due to side effects of estrogen antagonizing drugs for years now, so getting outside for a good walk isn't really possible. I can muck around in my yard and that's about it. I'm doing all the recommended things I'm suppose to as far as cleanliness of course. So what are all you doing, taking, avoiding?

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 9:46 am 
It is good to hear from you. I wish you the best. My friends, who have two at risk folks in their family of three are holed up. They started buying things a bit at a time and are prepared. They have an acre of land to roam around on and big nice shop for projects so should be OK. They are retired, so no need to go to work. Unfortunately, one who should stay at home had a recent health problem and will most likely need to see a doctor on how the recovery is going. I'm on call if they need anything. The 90 year old guy I know is kind of a stay at home guy anyway. He's canned his own veggies and is pretty self sufficient as we could only hope to be at that age. I am now his "Uber" also.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kite

kite
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 9:49 am 
after receiving a lung transplant in November, I have just have been staying very close to home and not getting out all that much. CDC’s Recommendations https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/Seattle_Community_Mitigation.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0yU8fUVfy-VEDK_9J2mA3tFYWImAII78N8B3jb8ZyJbbaUj4YMEvA7rkk

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 11:08 am 
I really like her videos

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 4:13 pm 
What a tough situation, More. I wish the music store could bend their rules for your situation. The Northwest Music Center, for example, is doing lessons via Skype. I hope your medical experts have good advice. Stay strong. kite, hang in there and hope you have friends who can drop off stuff.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 4:32 pm 
Thanks, I'm actually still doing all my own shopping and for my 84 year old mom too. I'm just very careful. The music store (Music and Farts as I call it) just installed spy cams in our rooms this year because of a badly behaving teacher somewhere in CA. So they don't want us teaching our students in THEIR program without being able to spy on us. Ugh. If they want to come to my house that's fine as long as they're well. Then I don't give a crap about M&F rules.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 3:14 pm 
Glad to see you back, good luck in your long battle. I missed your posts and the awesome shoes.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm 
Best wishes to you! If it helps, my son-in-law's mother (theres's gotta be a relationship term there; I think of her as a sister) was diagnosed with ovarian cancer (which used to be an automatic death sentence) 8 years ago and she's still doing well. She still has to go in for chemo (but a relatively mild form) about once a year, but so far it's keeping the villain at bay. The downside is that she is immune compromised, at least for several months after each treatment. Her husband is doing all the errands, and she's having to isolate from her son (my SIL), who is on the front lines as an ER physician in the Bay area (one of the heroes, IMHO). At 84 and getting a bit feeble, I'm practicing stringent "social distancing." I get lots of good advice, sometimes more than I want, from the 5 medical professionals in my extended family. In addition to 14 days of "natural disaster" (i.e. the Big One) supplies (mostly freeze dried food), I have stocked up on 14 days of more regular food (canned and frozen) which I'm saving in case the supply chain breaks down. In the meantime I shop at 6 am or 9 pm at my neighborhood Safeway, complete with mask and gloves. They are, so far, very good about wiping down with disinfectant the cashier's station between customers, so as long as I go when there are few people, I don't think it's too risky. Lotsa luck! There are quite a few of us who need it!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 4:46 pm 
Welcome back Cowbell! Sorry to hear about your battle but things will go your way. thoughts and prayers to you. Although we are not ill, we are mostly staying home, walking in parks and avoiding most folks. No hoarding here although some stores seem to be pretty picked out which worries me. Most folks we talk with are concerned but not freaked out by it all. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. Anyway...take care of yourself ( you too Kite!) and post when you can. Smiles, Bob cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 8:54 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
In the meantime I shop at 6 am or 9 pm at my neighborhood Safeway, complete with mask and gloves.
I shop at off times, and wear gloves when out as well. I have my youngest to take care of. His asthma and auto immune issues leave me concerned. We took the boys out of school far before school was canceled as well. Hiding on our farm, not leaving often. Good to see you post though. Miss our conversations years ago!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 pm 
It must be extremely stressful to be in your position. I think grocery shopping will become somewhat risky in the coming weeks. People have been hoarding out of supply chain fears but I think getting enough supplies in now so that you don’t have to shop when it gets a lot more risky might be prudent. Nothing to do with supply chains. I’m not immunocompromised but I am in the high risk group so I am hoping to find curbside pickup or home delivery.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 7:03 am 
acute copd The one thing I have recently come to understand is that no matter how long I 'hunker down' I will eventually get the virus. currently people will get sick and build antibodies/immunity to the virus and go about their normal lives. I emerge to shop and I meet one. I get the bug. I dont have immunity and so I will die. In a month or later in the year. At 72, exmilitary, I have seen a lot, been there done a lot. Cant live forever! Dunno what more I could do. This forum has been a source of great entertainment both in the comments of outdoor experiences, most excellent photos and humor.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Mar 18, 2020 8:05 am 
Cdestroyer, you are in a relatively unpopulated area so I hope you will emerge on the other side of this pandemic. Best wishes for you.