Forum Index > Trail Talk > Will ranger stations close, meaning no permits?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 3:55 pm 
I’m thinking ranger stations are going to close to the public temporarily. So will places allow self registration, or come up with some alternative, or just close it down? And how long would a closure last? I would hate to see places like the Enchantments closed, even though I am not going anyway. Hopefully any closure can be lifted before the summer season, but who knows anymore? There are no alerts or notices that I could find.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 pm 
Yes.

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 11:00 pm 
I was wondering about this too. Will they close the national parks? I can't imagine they'd close access to the national forests, but the parks seem more doable since they have metered access points.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Songs2

Songs2
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 3:32 am 
Will they close the national parks? From what I have read briefly online, closing entirely any specific national park requires going through lines of authority to Interior Dept., and takes a long time. But supervisors (generic term) of individual parks have management authority such that they can close visitors centers while providing same services (rangers walking parking lots to hand out info and collect fees, e.g.), close certain access points, close buildings, or redirect traffic without getting special permission. Corporations like Xanterra and Delaware North as of yesterday (Sunday, 3-15) were not closing the visitor housing and restaurants they manage as concessionaires. I can't speak to WA State specifically.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 8:06 am 
Can't have these big conglomerations of people in the Enchantments during coronavirus concerns

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 8:32 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Can't have these big conglomerations of people in the Enchantments during coronavirus concerns
Or running about in the woods. Everybody stay INDOORS and on the internet. There is nothing to see out there.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
schifferj

schifferj
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 9:23 am 
Slugman wrote:
I would hate to see places like the Enchantments closed, even though I am not going anyway. Hopefully any closure can be lifted before the summer season, but who knows anymore?
When the federal government closed in 2013 The Enchantments were closed. I had my one and only opportunity (as a persistent lottery loser) to head up and enjoy for 10 days.

Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 7:46 pm 
Skykomish closed till further notice.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
uww

uww
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 9:13 pm 
I was at Mt. Rainier today. Someone was in the booth at the gate, the gift shop at longmire said open but we didn't look too close, and there were bathrooms open in the tunnel at paradise. Some employees milling about. Main buildings were all closed.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 9:25 pm 
Enumclaw USFS will be staffed, but not open (they'll answer the phone and talk to you through the door, but won't be allowed in.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 9:56 pm 
Meanwhile, I just read on a geology facebook page that some National Parks are getting more visitors as people are going there to get away. Moab is wanting people to NOT go there as they don't have much of a hospital. Why does this seem more and more like a poorly written disaster movie?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 5:48 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Why does this seem more and more like a poorly written disaster movie?
wink.gif Because it is/was written by our "news" organizations....IMHO.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 7:50 am 
Well, Slugman, here's the official word: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices OFFICE CLOSED UNTIL MAY 8, 2020 SERVICE AVAILABLE ONLINE & BY PHONE Date(s): Mar 16, 2020 - May 8, 2020 Due to seasonal operations and public safety & health concerns related to COVID19 Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest Offices are closed until May 08, 2020 For information and customer service please use the following resources: Darrington Ranger District: (360) 436-1155 Mt. Baker Ranger District: (360) 856-5700 ext 515 Skykomish Ranger District: (360) 677-2414 Snoqualmie Ranger District: (425) 888-1421 We will make every attempt to return your call as soon as possible. Also, all of us volunteers have been suspended, so we are no longer patrolling-- at least in Uniform!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 8:38 am 
The way the country is reacting to this, probably. Plenty of places to hike that dont require permission!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 8:47 am 
This was posted on the Okanogan Wenatchee facebook page yesterday. Effective today, the U.S. Department of Agriculture is implementing a screening process before allowing entry to USDA facilities, including Forest Service buildings. To assist, we are asking all visitors to self-assess using the following USDA-provided questions: 1.Have you, someone living in your household, someone you have been in close or frequent contact with, or someone you are caring for been diagnosed with COVID-19 (Coronavirus) or had any contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19? 2.In the last 14 days, have you or someone living in your household, or someone you have been in close or frequent contact with, or someone you are caring for returned from, or made a travel connection through a CDC Level 3 or Level 2 country or State Department Level 3 or Level 4 country? 3.Do you currently have, or have you had within the last 24 hours, any cold or flu symptoms with a fever greater than 100.4 or acute respiratory distress (e.g., shortness of breath and coughing)? If the answer to all of these questions is ‘no’ please call the following appropriate number for assistance during normal business hours to obtain entrance to that particular office. This may include setting up an appointment to enhance social distancing and minimize the number of visitors in our offices at one time: 509-644-9200. If any of the answers to the questions is ‘yes’ we ask that you still please call the appropriate number above so we may see how we may assist your need through other means besides face-to-face. In addition to minimizing personal contact by calling Forest offices for assistance rather than coming in person, the public is also encouraged to postpone non-critical business with the Forest Service and practice “social distancing” when they encounter Forest Service employees in the field. For more information on how you and your family can assist with this concern, please visit: