Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snowshoeing at Paradise 3/12/2020 - Cascade Red Fox photos!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 11:34 am 
Snowshoeing conditions were absolutely perfect last week, and I was lucky enough to see a Cascade Red Fox!
I've also posted a ton of other photos from the trip on my blog: https://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/2020/03/wild-winter-paradise-snowshoeing-at-mt.html

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 12:09 pm 
So cool! This fox is so fluffy!!! I cannot go there, but I heard from other people that there is this (or perhaps more than one?) fox frequenting paradise area because people give it food. You are lucky to see it in the snow and not in the parking lot!

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 1:47 pm 
kitya wrote:
So cool! This fox is so fluffy!!! I cannot go there, but I heard from other people that there is this (or perhaps more than one?) fox frequenting paradise area because people give it food. You are lucky to see it in the snow and not in the parking lot!
I actually spotted him on our way back down the road, several miles from the parking lot. Of course, he could easily be that same fox - hard to tell!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 4:26 pm 
It's been years, but a couple different times I've seen a fox skittering across one of the parking lots at Paradise right around dusk. Appeared to be searching for food scraps. It was not interested in approaching people. Another time a few miles below Paradise I saw a fox lying on a snowbank just beside the road. Stopped the car to take a gander. Then I noticed some movement around it's belly. It was a momma, nursing her kit. She looked directly at me, I know anthropormorphizing critters is a risky proposition but it sure looked like she was filled with motherly pride. It was a really touching moment.

geyer

geyer
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 8:21 pm 
That video could be a tourism ad! well done

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Mar 16, 2020 8:40 pm 
Cool to see a fox! up.gif I think Rainier is the most likely place.
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
a fox skittering across one of the parking lots at Paradise right around dusk. Appeared to be searching for food scraps. It was not interested in approaching people.
Perhaps an experience that will be occurring more frequently. In fall 2018 I came upon my first Cascade fox raiding my camp at dusk southeast of Stevens Pass. I thought it was someone's overbred show dog because it had a ridiculous, big white bob on the end of it's tail. Not afraid of me, way too quick to be threatened by me, and sniffing around my stove for a cheap meal. hungry.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 12:25 am 
geyer wrote:
That video could be a tourism ad! well done
Thank you!
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Another time a few miles below Paradise I saw a fox lying on a snowbank just beside the road. Stopped the car to take a gander. Then I noticed some movement around it's belly. It was a momma, nursing her kit. She looked directly at me, I know anthropormorphizing critters is a risky proposition but it sure looked like she was filled with motherly pride. It was a really touching moment.
That's really cool - I've always felt that some degree of cautious anthropomorphization is actually necessary when thinking about wildlife. It seems to me that we all too often undervalue the intelligence of animals.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 1:47 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
That's really cool - I've always felt that some degree of cautious anthropomorphization is actually necessary when thinking about wildlife. It seems to me that we all too often undervalue the intelligence of animals.
Totally agree. I thoroughly enjoy animal encounters of all types, and often wonder what is going on in their mind. Once had a close up encounter with a bear and got the distinct impression there was an intellect behind those eyes. It seemed to be regarding me as much as I was regarding it. We both startled each other coming around a blind corner on a trail. It scampered up a log that was leaning on a steep bank on the inside of the corner. When it got to the end of the log it sat down on its haunches facing me. I didn't linger long but couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a good up close look at it. I've had good luck encountering foxes in Idaho. Had one trot right past my car when I was camping, I was sitting in the driver seat w/ the window down, can't remember exactly where I was. Dispersed camping somewhere. Another time, on a trail above Redfish Lake came face to face with one. We had a bit of standoff. It sat on it's haunches while trying to figure out what to do. After a few moments it detoured about 10 feet off the trail, went past me, then returned to the trail and went about its business.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Mar 20, 2020 5:54 am 
up.gif