Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mountain Loop Highway
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Mar 18, 2020 5:35 pm 
The Mountain Loop was very popular this afternoon. The gate at Deer Creek is still closed. There were about 10 cars and 1 USFS truck parked there. 2 cars at Deer Creek Rd. A second USFS truck was arriving as we left. Lake 22 parking lot was full. Robe Valley. 6 cars. Granite Falls fish ladder. 15-20 cars All official campgrounds are still closed and gated. The ranger station is closed. Every small parking/picnic area had cars and people were walking around near the river.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hutch

Hutch
PostWed May 20, 2020 2:46 pm 
Anyone know if the road is open for the season yet?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 20, 2020 4:12 pm 
Mt Pilchuck road is open, the MLH is still gated at Deer Creek road, I estimate 1-2 weeks before it opens. Deer Creek road is drivable for 4 miles until you encounter dee snow.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri May 22, 2020 6:53 pm 
Saw a FB post saying that the Deer Creek road gate opened yesterday.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 23, 2020 8:00 am 
Were all the cars SIX feet apart? moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
half fast

half fast
PostMon May 25, 2020 8:05 am 
I went up the MLH yesterday... I don't think I have ever seen sooooooo many cars on that road, parked along side of the road or by any TH. I thought I took a wrong turn and somehow wound up in Seattle... rotf.gif The road itself past Deer Creek is the usual pot holes and was muddy instead of dusty which I think I liked better. Made it to Darington and only had a few white knuckled parts of the drive when some others coming from Darington were flying up the road and pretending the one and a half lane road was really a two lane road! If you are looking for solitude... this is not the place to go.

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 25, 2020 8:26 am 
I hiked not terribly far from the MLH yesterday. Saw one other party. Good scenery but not drop dead spectacular world class like most of us got used to. That's really the key, if you go to the ultra desirable trails (which includes the close in ones) you can expect to be with 10,000 of your best friends. Go for the less desirable ones and it's still enjoyable.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue May 26, 2020 10:54 am 
half fast wrote:
I went up the MLH yesterday... I don't think I have ever seen sooooooo many cars on that road, parked along side of the road or by any TH. I thought I took a wrong turn and somehow wound up in Seattle... rotf.gif
Welcome to the post-covid backcountry. Can't go to grandmas, kids soccer game, farmers market, city park. Much less hawaii, disneyland or overseas. If you want to avoid crowds this year probably going to need to find it in your backyard.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue May 26, 2020 2:12 pm 
Definitely shapin' up to be the type of summer where it is not an uncommon occurrence to witness fights over dispersed camping sights. Dads punching each other out in public, no one bats an eye.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostTue May 26, 2020 9:14 pm 
I went to Monte Cristo Sunday and today. There were quite a few people out on Sunday and cars lined down the road a little past the Lake 22 trailhead. Lots of people camping. I took the new access road to Monte and didn't see anyone until I got to the main trail. After that I only saw about 20 people for the day. I went out today and it was a ghost town. There were some cars parked at Lake 22 but not overflowing and there were only three cars including mine at Monte Cristo at 11. I ended up only seeing 8 people today.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 26, 2020 11:10 pm 
Avoided the highway Sunday, went down the Sunrise Mine road yesterday and hiked up the trail a little way, the road was easily passable with a Subaru and there was only one other car at the TH, the trail was typical and we turned around where it gets steep on the root covered hill. The outhouse was secured with a huge chain and padlock, no entree. Today went out and drove almost to the top of Rat Trap Pass where we encountered impassable snow at about 3100 ft, where we hiked up the road about 1/2 mile. We then drove back down to the Meadow Mountain trail which I had only been on up to the Crystal lake split. We went up the old road-trail for about 2 miles or so until we finally found a nice sunny, open spot with views south to Mt Pugh, then turned around. The approach road was typical with quite a few pot holes but better than some other roads in the area.