Forum Index > Trail Talk > Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness/North Yellowstone
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Walkin' Fool

Walkin' Fool
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 1:35 pm 
I know it's a little far afield for NWHikers, but if anyone is familiar with the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness bordering the north end of Yellowstone, and you don't mind me bouncing some trip planning questions off of you, please let me know and I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks!! Walkin' Fool

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 2:25 pm 
I've poked around in there some from various trailheads. Plenty of good options.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 2:47 pm 
I would like to hike there this year so I would also welcome info. A 3-5 day loop hike with fishing would be perfect.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 3:07 pm 
PM sent

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 3:42 pm 
If you are considering the Beartooth end, one nice venue is Aero Lakes, north, northeast of Cooke City. Maybe 8 miles or so, +1,000 ft hike to access. Lakes are at 10,000'. As of 15 years ago chunky 15" brookies and cutthroat trout. Crest is 2,000 ft. higher. Great basecamp. Fish one day, peak bag the next. Granite Peak, and its Southwest couloir route, is east of there. The plateau tends to be open country, with good opportunities for off trail travel, creating a loop.

Off trail rambler
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 5:23 pm 
If you can manage a shuttle, I recommend what is called The Beaten Path, 26 miles from the Cooke City side to East Rosebud Lake on the north side. Fossil Lake just on the North Side of the divide is a great base camp for a plethora o of fishing and other exploration. Another great trip starts from Island Lake off the Beartooth Highway to Albino Lake, Golden Lake and the Cloverleafs. This can be made into a loop or a shuttle. A kid I teach hiked into the Aeros last summer, I’ve never been there, pretty much echoes what a previous poster mentioned.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 pm 
I too am working on Beartooths plans for this summer. Maybe a 5- to 7-day loop. No fishing. Probably a blend of trail/off-trail. Been looking in the same vicinity as Eric mentioned. Ideas/experiences likewise welcomed.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 6:25 pm 
I've been in to Aero Lakes 3 or 4 times. Glacier Peak and Villard are worthwhile, moderate scrambles. Memory has someone posting a loop leading southeast of there here on NWhikers. I'd scan for trip reports. Griz were rare during my times there ( I think 2005 may be last time), I think some have moved in now. Mosquitos can be intense. There is a small peninsula on Lower Aero's north shore that we would camp at to catch the breeze, minimize the bugs. When the breeze died you knew it. Panther Martins worked well for the trout.

Off trail rambler
schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 11:24 am 
Granite Peak No Rope Required I did this hike/climb five years ago. There is a ton of beta here that should point you where you want to go up to and including a no rope climb up Granite Peak. I didn't fish, I saw absolutely no one on the entire hike so I can't attest to the quality of the fishing; from my perspective it looked pretty darn promising. I wasn't overly concerned about rock fall climbing the mountain as I was alone but did wear a helmet. I was concerned about grizzly bears and saw evidence that they were around but never actually saw one. There are some nay sayers concerned with the inherent danger of this route and I believe someone was killed up there by rock fall recently. But people get killed on Aasgard Pass on an almost yearly basis - in my case the juice was worth the squeeze.