Forum Index > Trip Reports > Old great northern rail grade. (Gold bar)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Mar 20, 2020 8:00 am 
Cyclopath inspired obscurity hiking. Not much of a hike, but I thought I would share a few photos from one of the variations of the dog walk I do. We start from home, but what was once public property(gold bar schools) now belongs to sky ranch/ outdoor adventures. Last summer they clear cut the area to prepare. I think they plan on making it into a campground for both ventures? It did open up some nice views of persis. Ranch with Nina and lake Isabell saddle.
Persis from clear cut
We cut through the property, but end up at highway 2 at the highbridge. A steep trail under the bridge down to the river. Graffiti, and occasional homeless camp. The old grade ran along the river, under what is now the bridge. I am not sure what is newer, and what is remnant here...
Time for a swim! New rail bridge in the background.
Back to the hike. The following are along the washed out section of track. A little bit of an ankle workout.
Then, a little scramble to the existing grade trail. This part get used by local horse riders. The first half is cut through the wodds away from the river, then eventually runs along the river. Lots of marshy areas and small ponds for wildlife.
Gets a little muddy in spots.
The trail turns into the hatchery parking lot, but the grade continues along the lot, then access road for the hatcheries damn. Did not take photos of this part, but the long moss and fern covered aqueduct is aesthetic. We turned around at the damn. Maybe some other day I'll see how bad it is on that side. There is still a large section before the old and new grade merge. Reversed down the trail to the quarry, through the quarry to nature trails, then back down the road to home. Focus!
Only seen 4 other people on horse back. Moved 100 yards off trail to let them pass.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Mar 20, 2020 12:21 pm 
very nice looks like a beautiful day

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message