Forum Index > Trail Talk > A Plea from the Mountain Rescue Association
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 8:17 pm 
Quote:
The guys who climbed Bacon Peak are out there doing this every week.
Well... when I climbed Bacon Peak with a very experienced team, one of our party broke his leg on easy terrain. He's been on a couple thousand trips, I would estimate. Two others had climbed the Bulger 100, etc. etc. etc. All of us had been out every week for years on end. Had to get him helicoptered out. So stuff happens even to us "experts".

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 8:48 pm 
So we gonna shame every TR from now on using some arbitrary standard of judgment? Keep posting, I'll go nuts without this stuff. The original message from Art is spot on. (but not SPOT on, get it?)

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 10:25 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Riverside Laker wrote:
I'm starting to think trips like the Bacon Peak one posted today are irresponsible.
I'll disagree here. The guys who climbed Bacon Peak are out there doing this every week. They know what they're doing. Of course, accidents do happen but they are part of the "usual" group of hikers and climbers who are out there on any given day trying their best to be safe and hoping they never need a rescue. They aren't the cause of the ten SAR missions this week. It's a massive influx of people who don't usually hike but are out there because they're off work with nothing to do. Look no further than the details of Mailbox Peak rescues this weekend. I don't have all the stats so I might be wrong, but I be the majority of the ten rescues this weekend were on "easy" hikes.
The more experienced people should be setting the example right now by scaling back and staying close to home.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 12:23 am 
The easy hikes that people would be recommended are probably over run already though and worse chances of getting the virus there. I'll just sit at home angry I guess 🤣. Not really I got plans.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 3:23 pm 
This was on today's BBC Scotland news feed. Troubling times we are in. Glencoe MRT said people who found themselves lost or stuck in the mountains should consider waiting until the following morning, or improved weather conditions, to be helped. It said "walking wounded" might have to get themselves off the hills and to safety. The team said it would respond to incidents involving serious injuries, but with the "bare minimum" of members.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 3:51 pm 
The mountains aren't going anywhere and the sooner everyone stays put, the sooner this will be over.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 4:18 pm 
People going out to climb something like Bacon right now may or may not be a good idea but at the very least I’d encourage folks not to post trip reports or on social media about their outdoor adventures while we’re in a “semi-lockdown” type situation. Seeing a rad trip report right now will not help other people. Either it’ll make people angry at the poster for going out when others feel they shouldn’t have, it’ll make people jealous that someone else is having a cool adventure while they’re staying home or running around the neighborhood, or it’ll make people think it’s okay for them to go out for a cool trip right now because this other person is doing it too. None of those are good things, I think. People have already argued at length about the merits of social media posts and trip reports, normally I like them, but this might not be the time for it. I still like reading rad trip reports, but I’d rather go back the old cascade climbers forum archives and check out some of the old “best of” ones rather than anything fresh.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 4:33 pm 
Most people (like me) will not go try to climb Bacon Peak just because someone posted a TR...I know better than to try to gain 8k+ feet in a day given my conditioning. If they don't know better, then let nature take it's course. (I know that's not how it works but might be a better way).

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
runup

runup
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 7:13 pm 
Schroder wrote:
The mountains aren't going anywhere and the sooner everyone stays put, the sooner this will be over.
up.gif up.gif

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 pm 
If you don't want to read people's trip reports about their cool trips, skip the trip reports forum. Simple solution you can implement yourself. Problem solved.

BaileyRange

BaileyRange
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 pm 
From Olympic Mountain Rescue: Stay out of the mountains!

iron

iron
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 am 
some interesting comments here. if you want to criticize the bacon pk trip for group size/social distancing, fine (note: r3h was ahead by miles anyway and always stands while on the summit). to imply that this has increased risk to SAR is dubious. i don't have numbers, but my guess is that >90% of SAR activity is related to "mainstream" activities (si, mailbox, rivers, etc). experience people are experienced for a reason. that doesn't mean they're infallible, but per trip, they have lower overall risk, despite the higher risk of their objective. headlamps on mailbox? GTFO. sorry guys, find your way down the hill in the non-moonlight. learn your lesson. break your leg on bacon? ok. bad luck, but not a result of preparation.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am 
It’s ok for society to make sacrifices for the greater good, as long as it doesn’t affect my favorite activity.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm 
Society is not making any sacrifices. They are out in the mountains doing their thing, not infecting anyone. Not asking anyone to make any sacrifice. Give it a rest.

gray matter

gray matter
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:01 pm 
I’d like to add a bit of perspective. It’s fairly easy these day to be on edge, to assert your opinions on the internet, or get defensive when someone else is thinking differently than you. Mangy Marmot: maybe starting that “society isn’t making any sacrificies” isn’t exactly what you meant. Or, maybe it is. I think that it’s fair to say that many people have made significant sacrifices since the Covid-19 outbreak. Personally, I closed my dental practice before the state required me to, because I felt that it was the correct course of action to protect my patients, my team, and myself. Now, I am in the process of converting it into a triage center for patients in the event that our local hospital becomes overwhelmed. I did this because I think that it the best I can do for my community right now. With respect to outdoor pursuits, I do know one thing with certainty. If I don’t climb, my risk of being injured from climbing is 0. If I climb, my risk of being injured from climbing is > 0. Here is a good example of a highly accomplished and well respected climber who required a rescue. It can happen. Each of us can make our own decision about what we are going to do as individuals. As someone who will likely be caring for sick people in about a week, all I ask is that everyone reflects on that for a moment before going out. Our health care system will be taxed, and in the unlikely event that an injury occurs, you may not receive the level of care that you would normally get from our wonderful health care providers. I look forward to posting a lot of TRs this summer when I get back into the mountains. Cheers, and be well. Gray matter