Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Covid-19: Laughter is the Best Medicine (Y2K All Over Again?)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 21, 2020 9:52 am 
The Solution

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat Mar 21, 2020 10:42 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Get Out and Go wrote:
^ That's right alpendave. I can't verify this but I hear that the chartered buses started their "shopping tour" in Cle Elum, hit the stores in Wenatchee, and then Leavenworth before looping back home. I imagine that all the while on the bus they were singing a rendition of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall." On each verse someone would offer up a new item that they had cleaned the shelf of... bags of rice, packets of pasta, loaves of bread, etc. clown.gif
I heard of this bus from Seattle at the beginning of the week. I dismissed it as a conspiracy theory but it sure has gotten around. In the account I read about, it was a bus, chartered specifically for the mission and full of TP looters who targeted the Leavenworth Safeway.
This story sounds bogus from the get go. Why would you get on a bus full of people from an area where there are known to be a lot of infections and ride several hours to areas where the locals have already done their fair share of panic buying, and where the supply chains come from the place you are leaving, to shop for everyday items. Unless......unless this is just a cover for something more nefarious. I know this sounds like something from the Mid Ages, but I have heard rumors that an item which is hard to find in the Seattle area, but which is prevalent in Leavenworth, is thought by some to be effective as a talisman against the virus, specifically: a Woody Goomsba nutcracker. The stop at Safeway would just be for a cover story to mask their intention of hoarding all the Goomsbas.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 21, 2020 5:01 pm 
CC wrote:
This story sounds bogus from the get go. Why would you get on a bus full of people from an area where there are known to be a lot of infections and ride several hours to areas where the locals have already done their fair share of panic buying, and where the supply chains come from the place you are leaving, to shop for everyday items. Unless......unless this is just a cover for something more nefarious. I know this sounds like something from the Mid Ages, but I have heard rumors that an item which is hard to find in the Seattle area, but which is prevalent in Leavenworth, is thought by some to be effective as a talisman against the virus, specifically: a Woody Goomsba nutcracker. The stop at Safeway would just be for a cover story to mask their intention of hoarding all the Goomsbas.
And this is why I did not post it when I heard it. The mere mention of that city in such a conspiracy would hurt feelings and will most likely be accused as being "political". I rode my bike up to Conconully today. Psst, they might have TP and hand sanitizers in their store...send that bus there. It looked like they could use some business besides me. I only bought a $1.89 worth of potato chips. Plus, there are restrooms open at the state park for the busload of looters!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 21, 2020 11:14 pm 
How many people can be in on a conspiracy before it falls apart?

neek

neek
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 am 
Kid: I don't want [great grandma] to die. Me: I know, honey. I don't either. But she will some day. It's best not to worry about these things. Kid: I just don't want to go to another boring funeral. That's pretty much verbatim, and yes, there's a point: the kids will be fine, as long as we don't push our anxieties onto them.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 9:13 am 

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 11:40 am 

don't believe everything you think
graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Starting in 9 months there will be a baby boom. We'll call them the quarantine generation. In 2033 we'll start calling them quaranteens.
I cannot claim this as mine: Those born in 9 months will be called "Coronials".

The only easy day was yesterday...
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 1:34 pm 
BTW, in relation to the thread title, folks I know who worked to prevent catastrophic Y2K bugs have been chatting about how analogous that feels to the current situation. A lot of problems were fixed in the year leading up to the date. Serious problems (with major operating systems broadly used applications, and network infrastructure). It was a hard and serious scramble to get it all done. And thankfully it was done well enough that afterwards people said "so why do people always overreact to things like Y2k?" Hopefully we'll do so well on "flattening the curve" with this novel critter we have being passed around now that some of the same people will be saying the same things about how our society reacted here. Sorry for the serious note here but the thread title begged for fleshing out of the analogy.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 1:06 pm 
So how many political posts does it take to actually see the ban enforced on all viewpoints, rather than just one?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 2:53 pm 
Elegant solution for no TP. Utube useless duck company. You will know the answer when you see it.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 4:25 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
So how many political posts does it take to actually see the ban enforced on all viewpoints, rather than just one?
I gave the benefit of the doubt on the first post since the OP hadn't shown a proclivity to diss the right and in some cases seemed to lean right. But I agree it's over the line with a follow up post to perhaps see how far they can push the limits. You aren't privy posts that get nixed so I can appreciate why you might think enforcement isn't balanced.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 5:42 pm 
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 pm 

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 pm 
bonus non plague round, cuz it's good