Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Trader Joe's, Kroger's cutting hours, creating "scarcity"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 5:31 pm 
neek wrote:
PCC reduced normal hours but added special morning hours for those over 60 or in a high risk group. Also temporarily increased employee pay. And they have TP.
PCC near me doesn't. I found some in a Rite Aid, even with them keeping it behind the counter (so you have to ask for it) and only selling one package per customer, it didn't last long.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 9:14 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I think it is wrong to assume that grocers are curtailing hours and short staffing for nefarious reasons -- for one thing with schools closed -- I'll bet managers are having a hard time scheduling employee shifts with the extra demands on working parents. Also if any employee has any symptoms -- they shouldn't be working the store eh?
Well if that is the case, it may be legitimate. But then what about two employees outside the store directing people to stand in line? It t may vary from chain to chain, and I agree especially without masks it is a lot to ask of employees to wait on customers right now. On the other hand they are about the only ones with jobs...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 12:18 pm 
Just returned from buying groceries. I went to an IGA in Okanogan because it is seldom crowded and the aisles are wide. Groceries are higher priced there, but it is the last place that is cleaned out of something. At the doors, they had a hand washing station, cart handle wipes, and a Purell dispenser. That was quite a change from my trip to Wally World last week I found everything on my list. They had no toilet paper but did have a sign up saying if it was there, you were limited to buying two packages. One man was happy to have found a roll of paper towels. He was out at home. There wasn't a lot, but there was rice, beans and flour. They were restocking sugar. Veggies, fruits and meats were plentiful. Eggs, not so much. The checkout clerk said that there no longer is a schedule on when they get shipments. It sounds very disorganized. I guess that's the way it's going to be.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 1:32 pm 
gb wrote:
If I am wrong and they are cutting store hours because they can’t get employees to come in that is another thing. But paying two employees (at Trader Joe’s) to merely act as door guards argues against this.
TraderJoe’s in Burien had two employees outside of their store disinfecting each cart/basket shoppers returned and reminded people in line to keep a safe distance. Same number of shoppers that exited the store would be allowed in. This was the same method Costco used, and it made for a much less crowded store. I for one appreciated the effort and didn’t mind waiting in line for 10 minutes.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 2:25 pm 
The first post in this thread is slander from a brainwashed hate monger. How can a complete lie “come to his/her attention”? More accurate would be to say “my diseased mind just created this fantasy no sane person could believe.” Permanent ignore for all hoaxers and slanderers and spreaders of hate based on lies and stupidity. We will never forget what slime you are.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 2:33 pm 
Geez, take a breath dude. I sympathize with noting the presumption of ill intent shown in the OP, but still....

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
neek

neek
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 3:35 pm 
The gods must have intervened, because Comcast went down as I was about to post. So I'll be more succinct: this whole thread is a giant facepalm, just kill it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 7:33 am 
Saw a facebook picture and reports that more panic buying is happening in the Chehalis area. Apparently the Walmart was packed when it opened this morning.... People need to think a bit and calm down.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
neek

neek
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 am 
Everyone needs to be prepared to self-quarantine for 2 weeks. You can look at a cleared out shelf as panic buying, or as large numbers of people being responsible. Without a doubt there's a bit of stupid going on, but I don't think amplifying the hype on social media is all that helpful.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 8:05 am 
neek wrote:
this whole thread is a giant facepalm, just kill it
I agree, really pernicious rumor-mongering. mad.gif In this war, the health care workers are our Marines, the food workers are our foot soldiers. The groceries need to close at night so they can sanitize the surfaces.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 pm 
neek wrote:
Everyone needs to be prepared to self-quarantine for 2 weeks. You can look at a cleared out shelf as panic buying, or as large numbers of people being responsible. Without a doubt there's a bit of stupid going on, but I don't think amplifying the hype on social media is all that helpful.
If you live in the PNW, you should already have enough stuff to last a couple of weeks. Responsible people already have supplies of necessities. Besides, the stores will be open and from reading and hearing from people working in the stores, they are getting supplied. Toilet paper is the hard one to get and keep on the shelves. Food is OK.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 12:32 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
neek wrote:
this whole thread is a giant facepalm, just kill it
I agree, really pernicious rumor-mongering. mad.gif
Umm. I would suggest leaving it up. Otherwise the main information-loaded thread will be bombarded. This is actually a good outlet for folks who want to explore these view points and ideas. We also have Covid-19 Hiking threads and Humor threads. These allow for a variety of expression. ~z

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 1:11 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
If you live in the PNW, you should already have enough stuff to last a couple of weeks. Responsible people already have supplies of necessities. Besides, the stores will be open and from reading and hearing from people working in the stores, they are getting supplied. Toilet paper is the hard one to get and keep on the shelves. Food is OK.
True enough. Being prepared has been a source of endless derision for years. Things are looking a lot different today, aren't they. Being prepared because today is not, and has never been, the end of history where it's all rainbows from here on out is merely common sense.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 2:14 pm 
BarbE wrote:
gb wrote:
If I am wrong and they are cutting store hours because they can’t get employees to come in that is another thing. But paying two employees (at Trader Joe’s) to merely act as door guards argues against this.
TraderJoe’s in Burien had two employees outside of their store disinfecting each cart/basket shoppers returned and reminded people in line to keep a safe distance. Same number of shoppers that exited the store would be allowed in. This was the same method Costco used, and it made for a much less crowded store. I for one appreciated the effort and didn’t mind waiting in line for 10 minutes.
Yes, ditto what BarbE said with respect to the Woodinville Costco. The line outside was fairly well managed (including people IN the line reminding each other of "six feet!" when needed which went over just fine and was effective, but also employees reminding folks too) and even though it stretched the length of the store it only took about five minutes to get inside. Once inside, there was none of the usual bottlenecks of other shoppers, so keeping 6+ foot spacing was not a problem. If the lines at a local TJ's is getting too densely packed please talk to the manager of the store if possible and let them know they're not doing it right and that their customers need some nice reminders.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 2:47 pm 
I appreciate the efforts of store clerks. Monitoring distance between customers isn't their line of work, and they may feel uncomfortable doing it. If I were in their position, I'd just about melt with anxiety. As for all the other nonsense in this thread rolleyes.gif People are at their worst when they're ... well, I can't think of anything, but I'll say "alive."

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert