Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Covid-19: Laughter is the Best Medicine (Y2K All Over Again?)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 pm 
I originally had this in the main thread but am moving it here as I increasingly realize what a joke it is. Interactive Social Distancing Scoreboard (works better on desktop computer vs. phone) Perhaps interesting to data nerds, but note 1) it's basically an ad for this company's services, 2) I'm not sure it's telling us anything meaningful (aside from, say, which counties have a greater proportion of white collar jobs that allow people to work from home). Oh...methodology is crunching location data from cell phones like yours.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 am 
@neek https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/03/24/social-distancing-maps-cellphone-location/?outputType=amp I like the part about how they use distance traveled as a proxy for distance traveled, and thus social interaction. If you drive 100 miles to a remote scramble, that shows up worse than walking across the street to movie night with the neighbors. If they really have all that data, they should be able to do a much more sophisticated analysis and provide something valuable.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 am 
That's an interesting point. I've been trying to figure out the actual impact of a distance run to a location where there is never anyone anyway (an annual spring destination for many years). The only impact I can see is one fuel stop and I'm sure not going in the minimart even if it's open. All my food and stuff would come from where I have to go locally anyway to shop. So I drive 140 miles, fuel up once, there is no one else at the destination, what's the difference? Is there any impact?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 4:26 pm 
It's a valid question to ask. Urban exercise activities in Seattle feel high risk right now.

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm 
Who says it's all bad news out there. CBS All Access is offering a free one-month trial, just in time to binge Star Trek: Picard Talk to you all, or whoever remains, in a month.

graywolf

graywolf
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:24 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
That's an interesting point. I've been trying to figure out the actual impact of a distance run to a location where there is never anyone anyway (an annual spring destination for many years). The only impact I can see is one fuel stop and I'm sure not going in the minimart even if it's open. All my food and stuff would come from where I have to go locally anyway to shop. So I drive 140 miles, fuel up once, there is no one else at the destination, what's the difference? Is there any impact?
I agree - I see minimal risk in what you're proposing.

The only easy day was yesterday...
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:28 pm 
Heck I could load the rack with jerry cans and skip the fuel stop

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:06 am 
And now a word from one of Australia's national treasures, Michael Leunig:
coronavirus_Leunig
coronavirus_Leunig
Old Rope_Leunig
Old Rope_Leunig
viral_Leunig
viral_Leunig

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:48 am 

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I've pondered this for myself. My assessment, again just for myself and fwliw, is that if I choose a relatively low-key activity for which I have no more risk of injury than a brisk hilly walk in my neighborhood, is that I will primarily be adding societal risk and personal risk in terms of needing to spend a little more time interacting with a gas pump, and I have a non-zero yet relatively low (lower certainly than any virus related risks from going into a grocery or drug store) of getting in an auto accident simply due to more driver miles. I don't feel bad about that, but then it also strikes me as being clearly in violation of what the governor asked me to do in his address this past Monday evening to for instance drive up to Snoqualmie for some super mellow skin laps at West or some such. I have options MUCH closer to home for getting some outdoor exercise, and that seemed to me to be what he was clearly asking of me/us. I get that for someone in the core of Seattle the reasonable outdoor options are different from mine, and yet I also know that if I lived there, I would be thinking more of how short a drive I could do to get to a reasonable spot for some outdoor exercise versus trying to justify some still-safe outings that would be more entertaining for me and that would help keep my ski muscles more in shape. This is how I assess it for myself. I think the governor's guidance was reasonably clear and doesn't need me trying to be a self-appointed apostle telling others how to interpret it. I think the problem he has is that there are people who do stuff like crowd onto Rattlesnake and who go up Mailbox late in the day w/o flashlights etc. and if we all feel we can game the restrictions based on the soundness of our own judgment and skills, we get to a point that doesn't look any different from last weekend which was a shitshow in many places. I will do my best to refrain from being a possibly a step back in that direction, even if only as a model others may want to follow... I pass no judgment on others who are coming to other takes based on thoughtful decision-making about how to keep their risks to self and others low.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:53 am 
Some of us are pretty lucky with some decent hill workouts in only a few mile range, heck they're closer than going to the store. I feel bad for hikers in hot zones with no such access.

neek

neek
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 am 
9 year old fixed this up for me

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 12:05 pm 
funny neek!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 12:59 pm 
neek wrote:
9 year old fixed this up for me
lol.gif wub.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 1:33 pm 
broccoli kraft macncheese, not that hungry yet
vegan dogs, same thing