Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchanted Valley Chalet?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 pm 
Hey folks, wonder what the status of the chalet is? Saw a few reports from last year, but last I knew I thought there was more moving to be done.. Any intel? Cheers, John

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:23 am 
Good question! It does look like it needs to be moved again; haven't kept up with any plans for repair, etc.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
reststep

reststep
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 9:05 am 
I don't know what the current thinking is with the powers that be at Olympic National Park but here is a link to Olympic Park Associates blurb about their wishes concerning the chalet. I hope they do not get their way on this. Link: https://olympicparkassociates.org/trail-shelters/ For some reason Olympic Park Associates seem to have left out the date on when that blurb about the chalet was written.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:38 am 
I notice the lack of date with a LOT of websites. Drives me nuts.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
reststep

reststep
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 11:10 am 
Here is a link to the Olympic National Park planning page about the final disposition of the Enchanted Valley Chalet. As far as I can determine the information dates back to 2016 so what is happening now I don't know. https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectID=64240 I thought I read somewhere that they were waiting for the decision on the Wilderness Watch vs Creachbaum case. Here is a link to an article in the Port Angeles Daily News about the Wilderness Watch vs Creachbaum case. https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/federal-appeals-court-rules-in-favor-of-keeping-historic-structures-in-olympic-national-park/

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm 
Quote:
The noise overhead generated by the Navy fighter jets is far more detrimental to the "wilderness experience" of the user. If OPA has such an issue with aircraft, why are they not complaining about that?
https://olympicparkassociates.org/military-overflights/

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:52 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
t last I knew I thought there was more moving to be done..
Yeah, now it's coming back to me (it should - I drafted the NEPA response for WA Trust for Historic Preservation). A house mover professional volunteered his time to move the chalet from danger while a more permanent solution, if any, could be hashed out. And now we come to your question. Looks like that's all we know - that we don't know.

Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 1:54 am 
On OPA's current issue page, there are 12 issues. There are couple more things on their programs page. https://olympicparkassociates.org/current-issues/ I take it you agree with their stance on Military overflights. It looks like they've been involved in that issue for about 5 years. Which one of these other issues is "their own little narrow-minded clique"?

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
trestle

trestle
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 am 
Ski wrote:
that McNulty is tragically misguided and a consummate liar
Nailed it. Many of us on the NOP have been hearing his lies for decades. shakehead.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 12:27 pm 
I took this from a FB page, but it seems relevant (pic from within the last week). If you zoom in, it appears the chalet is leaning, a lot. And the foundation just a few feet from the bank. A couple major rain events this spring and all of the debate will be over

Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 12:34 pm 
Quote:
(FTR: I'm not a subscriber to the nonsensical pap from some guy named "Godwin".)
Who is Godwin? And I'll ask again. And I'm really serious. Which one of these other issues is "their own little narrow-minded clique"? Or does OPA have some secret agenda. IS the OPA actually a front group for logging, road building, development, and /or mining interests. I've read a few of McNulty's writings. I may not agree with everything he wrote, but it doesn't look like he's lied about anything. But I might have been fooled. Please educate me. I don't want to fooled any longer. Please start by explaining what "their own little narrow-minded clique" is.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 12:37 pm 
Logbear wrote:
Who is Godwin?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:05 pm 
When I posted a link to OPA's current issues page, I wasn't asking for a summary of them. I read them all. I also read about wolves and the Olympics and Elwha restoration. So what. I was asking what "their own little narrow-minded clique" was. I'm guessing there really is no answer to that question. Far from being narrow-minded, they are involved in lots of different issues. As far a being a "clique" or a "little narrow-minded clique"... I still don't know what that means or what it's meant to convey as far as OPA is concerned. By the way, I think they should have opened all land outside the park to year-round unlimited hunting of Mountain Goats. I say hunt them in the park too. Yes Yes, I know hunting won't happen in the park. I think capturing, flying, trucking, and then flying some more, so someone can shoot them somewhere else is stupid. If I don't agree with everything OPA supports, maybe I don't get to be in their "clique".

Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 6:29 pm 
Well I still don't have an answer to my question. So I will answer it myself. No, OPA is not a "clique" by the definition you supplied. If I wanted to I could join OPA right now. Anyone can. As far as the "narrow-minded". Since I've never shared my viewpoints with them I don't know whether they would listen, or tolerate me. And that begs the question ...who is this "they" that won't listen or tolerate other people's views. Do you really think that everybody that has joined OPA has some kind of evil intent. There are probably several people here at NW Hikers that are not willing to listen to, or tolerate my views. Does that make NW Hikers "narrow-minded"? I think the Enchanted Valley Chalet should be disassembled, removed by helicopter, and rebuilt somewhere accessible to the 90% of the windshield tourists. Do you think my viewpoint will be listened to and tolerated by NW Hikers?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 am 
Given the chalet is about to drop into the drink, according to the photos Tomlike posted, seems to me that ONP should have had acted to either made a good attempt to save it, or have it removed. Because when it drops, the fish issue will trigger a lawsuit that can't likely be defended. At least had they either removed or saved the chalet, a lawsuit either for or against the chalet could have a defense. But fish advocates? .....doubtful.