Forum Index > Trail Talk > Washington State Lands Closed to Camping through April 30 Day use areas and trails remain open
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:22 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
Maybe I misread.
No, I think I'm trying to express complex thoughts with too few words. Trying to lay out the skeleton of a mental model for evaluating decisions given the new reality, or something like that. Probably not worth dwelling on. Completely agree that hyperbolic outrage is not useful (ever, really). I'm not trying to make any statements about what people should or shouldn't do--except for think, and be nice. Anyway thanks for the explanation.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:50 pm 
mb wrote:
But right now the best answer we seem to have is to stay close to home limit everything.
Be careful, okay? Lots of fuqn bad sheyt can happen at home and place a burden on first responders okay? Gawwdammm be careful plz. If you wouldn’t mind, until Gov Inslee gives the all clear, please abstain from the following: Going up or down stairs. If you are currently upstairs. Stay there. Drinking alcohol, even in your own home. Bathing/showering - avoid slips/falls and drowning. Besides, if you’re staying at home, your body odor doesn’t matter much. Doing food prep yourself (might cut yourself) Biking (might crash) Thanks for helping reduce our community risk exposure. Hopefully others can help add to this list.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:59 pm 
Ski wrote:
we'll most likely be seeing closures of USFS facilities - at the minimum campgrounds,
I think all the USFS campgrounds around here are open Memorial Day to October anyway. e.g. Douglas Fir Campground in the Nooksack Ranger District
Quote:
Open Season: 5/24 - 09/29
So for USFS facilities around here there isn't much an issue of needing to close them. Hopefully when Memorial Day rolls around in two months -- the world will be in a condition where opening USFS campgrounds is seen as a good use of resources.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:09 pm 
Couldn't go for a hike without driving today. Stayed home and did some rock carving. Broke my wrist when I missed the chisel. Thanks franz! Honestly though, I am far more likely to get hurt at home then I am doing simple hiking. I do it all the time. Now I'm forced to walk on the road, or drive somewhere. Thinking about going over to the fish hatchery and giving the crew a good workout trying to chase me down to "ask me to leave". I'll be jogging with dog and headphones in. I think that's the key to the article. It says you will be fined or jailed if you dont leave when asked... I'll leave. Kidding, but we might drive over to see if they have any signage.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:11 pm 
Ski wrote:
While the "personal attacks" and other vitriol being spewed here may well be less than constructive, neither are pointless and superfluous arguments about semantics and other trivialities. Obviously we have a lot of members who either don't grasp the reality of the situation, or choose to create excuses for for their laissez faire attitudes or indifference to the well-being of the community as a whole. I doubt their words and actions will be forgotten by the survivors.
We well know grudges over differing judgment are an innate part of discussions online. Some folks are even proud of 'em. I haven't seen the attitude as you describe, merely different takes on trying to stay within the boundaries of the situation and adapt in ways that do no harm. If one is getting called on semantics, it's often because someone is trying to pull something with word meanings.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:18 pm 
Ski wrote:
I do not know whether or not local District Rangers (or Forest Supervisors) have the authority to close a District or an entire Forest.
Under the existing Regs (36 CFR 261.50) only Regional Foresters or Forest Supervisors have that authority. I would think this would be just like an emergency closure that happens for wildfires. But, I have no idea about the politics or direction coming from D.C.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:27 pm 
CC wrote:
This is for Spokane area, but I assume it applies at all State Parks
The area is so vast and empty out there they're probably enforce it a little different. If you use the Columbia Plateau Trail in Devil's Canyon no one will know nor care. Try hiking Twin Falls in North Bend and it might not end the way you hoped.

mb

mb
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
mb wrote:
But there's risks along the way. * You get hurt somewhere en route. * Or on your hike. Now you've strained strained resources.
This argument doesn't hold water. The same risk exists if you are driving to the grocery store, picking up a to go order from a restaurant, or getting a prescription at the pharmacy. You will never have zero risk in anything you do. Plus, you are far more likely to contract/transmit the virus doing the aforementioned things than if you are isolating yourself in the wilderness.
Yes, the same risk applies there! Driving risk is per-mile or per-hour or whatever over a particular type of road condition. So don't drive to Cle Elum "to get groceries" just because you're bored and want to get in the car for a bit. In fact, don't get groceries every day (yes, some people do that)! Go once a week or even less. Reduces the risk of contact w/other people in the store, and if everyone does that the stores will be emptier. None of these are absolutes, they're all just reducing risk.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 pm 
mb wrote:
Driving risk is per-mile or per-hour or whatever over a particular type of road condition.
Actually, it's not that simple. Time of day, weather conditions, visibility, road hazards, mechanical failure, distractions, reaction times and/or driver fatigue, medical conditions, intoxication, recklessness, age, driving ability, error, or excessive speed can all impact the risk of an accident. Concluding that driving further to a trailhead is bad because more miles = more risk for an accident is pretty dubious. I do see some merit in avoiding rural gas stations since that creates an opportunity for transmission (although that too can be mitigated). But the former is an example of catastrophic thinking - i.e., assuming that one action will lead directly to the worst possible outcome, despite the possibility of alternative outcomes. When the reasoning becomes catastrophic, it's time to draw the line.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 11:31 pm 
xrp wrote:
mb wrote:
But right now the best answer we seem to have is to stay close to home limit everything.
Be careful, okay? Lots of fuqn bad sheyt can happen at home and place a burden on first responders okay? Gawwdammm be careful plz. If you wouldn’t mind, until Gov Inslee gives the all clear, please abstain from the following: Going up or down stairs. If you are currently upstairs. Stay there. Drinking alcohol, even in your own home. Bathing/showering - avoid slips/falls and drowning. Besides, if you’re staying at home, your body odor doesn’t matter much. Doing food prep yourself (might cut yourself) Biking (might crash) Thanks for helping reduce our community risk exposure. Hopefully others can help add to this list.
Don't put the wrong dish soap in the dishwasher!! Might get a big foam leak!!! Don't wheel the grill into the living room! Might die!

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 12:19 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
mb wrote:
Driving risk is per-mile or per-hour or whatever over a particular type of road condition.
Actually, it's not that simple. Time of day, weather conditions, visibility, road hazards, mechanical failure, distractions, reaction times and/or driver fatigue, medical conditions, intoxication, recklessness, age, driving ability, error, or excessive speed can all impact the risk of an accident. Concluding that driving further to a trailhead is bad because more miles = more risk for an accident is pretty dubious...
Not sure what yall going on about? Seems more pertinant to debate weather driving risk for necessities is different than driving risk for entertainment. I wants that selfie, but I needs to eat.

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 6:35 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Don't put the wrong dish soap in the dishwasher!! Might get a big foam leak!!! Don't wheel the grill into the living room! Might die!
Thank you for contributing. We need more examples of how we can reduce risk.

jm31828

jm31828
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Quote Options Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm BigBrunyon wrote:
MyFootHurts wrote:
Don nitrile gloves Get out credit card Swipe card Place in plastic baggie for decon later Pump gas Doff gloves Dispose in receptacle next to gas pump That's how I've been doing it
Every time? How long you been doing this for?
The last few weeks, since this COVID19 situation arose here in Washington.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 4:37 pm 
Thursday March 26, 2020 15:12 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Olympic National Park Temporarily Closes Recreational Fishing Olympic National Park, in coordination with Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), is temporarily closing recreational fishing parkwide. This closure is in response to the Stay Home, Stay Safe Proclamation 20-25 and Proclamation 20-05 issued by the Governor of the State of Washington to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The closure is effective immediately and will last until further notice. Updates will be posted to the park website at nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/fishing.htm. For the latest updates on WDFW's coronavirus response, including the news release announcing the emergency fishing rule change, please visit wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates. Updates to openings and closures will be posted to that page. -NPS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 pm 
More security theater - Gifford Pinchot now closed: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordpinchot/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD716564