Forum Index > Trip Reports > Salvation/Hellfire
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 am 
Salvation/Hellfire is an unofficial name of a little bump along the ridge near to Oakes peak and right across from Damnation peak. While not very high, the summit is surprisingly open and has great views (similar to the views from Oakes and Damnation) in all directions. Most importantly it is outside NP boundary and thus dogs are allowed. I hiked to Oakes before back in winter of 2016 and I think I love Salvation a lot more. Here are the reasons: 1. The route is a lot steeper. Oakes route follows more gentle ridge. I got 5860 feet gain, most of it in just 1.5 miles horizontal that it takes to get up to the ridge along Jumbo creek. 2. Creek crossing is fun. 3. Unlike Oakes route, there are no logging roads to cross on the slope and no evidence of recent logging. It is all dark, deep, mossy forest right up to the ridge. 4. Ridge walk is super fun. Oakes shocked me with views, but there is nothing else, long ridge walk gives views gradually. 5. There is lots of fun up and down along the ridge walks, with deep gaps and steep ups and steep downs. Ice axe can be useful in places near the summit. Anyway, great winter destination. I drove Bacon creek road until the slide and parked right next to the slide. You can drive over the slide, but I was not that brave. After walking the road a little bit there is a split. Left better road goes to bacon creek bridge, right road is more filled with downed trees and trash. You know you are on the right road when you see this creepy doll nailed to a tree.
This road stops suddenly near Jumbo creek. Cross raging Jumbo creek and find lots of devils club and tree graveyard. Tree graveyards are particularly hard for me, because Cookie is on the leash and she climbs under trees, while I climb over trees and the rope gets tangled everywhere. Go up through moss, salal and trees aiming for the ridge between Salvation and Oakes. I found deer trail and used it as much as I can. Seen no deer unfortunately, but lots of deer foot prints and deer poop. Also seen a couple of grouse and their poop too. Avoid cliff bands near the creek, climb over giant mossy boulders and continue up. Sadly snow was super wet and sticky, but once on the ridge the views are amazing. Walk the ridge north to the highest point (Salvation). Lots of ups and downs and some cornices. Summit!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 10:40 am 
Excellent report with good beta. 'Creepy doll' is right! I am afraid to know what that's about! I know you never let Cookie off leash, but wouldn't it make it easier for both of you if when going through the windfall and brush she goes off- leash for a bit?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
I know you never let Cookie off leash, but wouldn't it make it easier for both of you if when going through the windfall and brush she goes off- leash for a bit?
Sadly I also have trust issues! She would generally follow, but there is a little chance she might decide not too at some point and it will be super hard for me to catch her smile.gif Better slow, but safe together.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 11:21 am 
Makes sense. I have had dogs that would run off whenever something more fun than me appears...a rabbit, deer, squirrel, or worse.... porcupine.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:45 pm 
Nice! That pk is better than the nearby Oakes in my opinion. You definitely have to put in the work for the steep forest.

Eric Eames
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
Nice! That pk is better than the nearby Oakes in my opinion. You definitely have to put in the work for the steep forest.
exactly my point. i also compared it to oakes and found salvation a lot more fun

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:24 pm 
Jeff wrote:
What elevation did the continuous snow start? I was thinking of skinning up the roads on Lakes.
Sadly quite high up. Don't remember exactly, but I think above 3000ft. However, the forest is very dense, there will be way more snow accumulating on the road. Also there was fresh snow at very low elevations on monday.