Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To your/our health (Covid-19 thread)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:53 pm 
Thanks zephyr. Seen a few " you had covid in december" posts, and just read how the state run media is using it for propaganda.i decided to edit both posts to fuel any fires. Nut jobs abroad and at home. A lot of the technical medical stuff is above my head. I only made it through emt training. Been interesting learning experience. Never knew so much about bacterias and viruses. I'll watch video, if not just to hear the accent. Read your part 2 just now. That's something I haven't heard yet.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
This is what I posted on the 12th.. "Yesterday morning I felt ok, let out a sneeze, and it felt like someone stuck a knife in my back. Within minutes the pain was so bad I was laying on the floor with tears in my eyes. Remained there for about 4 hours before crawling to the couch."
This sounds intense. But it also sounds like what happens with a severe back spasm too. I remember throwing my back out in the Army back in the '80s. It took me to the floor. But it wasn't four hours. Sneezing can trigger things. As well as coughing. I am at the age now where if I feel a big cough or sneeze coming on I try to stabilize and be ready for it. I also broke a rib coughing back in the '70s. Crazy. Also if you read that Wikipedia page on the description of symptoms--it widely varies. Some get this, some get that. Do listen to the Buttigieg interview (which I posted upthread) where the ER doc describes her symptoms. Hers seemed somewhat mild. Here's an article in Science about the test for anti-bodies which would show if someone had been infected. Testing in general in this country is so varyingly available even for people currently showing symptoms. Quote: How many COVID-19 cases have gone undetected? And are those who had mild cases of the disease—perhaps so mild they dismissed it as a cold or allergies—immune to new infections? If so, they could slow the spread of the burgeoning pandemic. Answering those questions is crucial to managing the pandemic and forecasting its course. But the answers won’t come from the RNA-based diagnostic tests now being given by the tens of thousands. They look for the presence of viral genes in a nose or throat swab, a sign of an active infection. But scientists also need to test a person’s blood for antibodies to the new virus, known as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Such tests can detect active infections, too, but more importantly, they can tell whether a person has been infected in the past because the body retains antibodies against pathogens it has already overcome. Labs and companies around the world have raced to develop antibody tests, and a few have been used in small studies and received commercial approval, including several from China. But so far, large-scale data from such tests—for example showing what fraction of people in the hard-hit city of Wuhan, China, might now be immune—is still lacking or at least not public. Scientists hope that will soon change as more tests become available. Keep us posted if there are any new developments. ~z

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:30 pm 
This is a great Tweet from Devi Sridhar,Professor & Chair of Global Public Health, Edinburgh University Medical School. Director of GlobalHealthGP, (Health governance, financing, policy, systems & security.) related to the testing discussion in the previous page. Quote: We will be stuck in an endless cycle of lockdown/release for next 18 months, if we do not start mass testing, tracing, & isolating those who are carriers of the virus while pursuing rapid research for antiviral treatment or vaccine. This is the message the public needs to hear. Seeing this realization more and more. (e.g. See the last video graywolf posted.). Talk about a Herculean task. ~z

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:53 pm 
Just finished watching the first half. Of the Pete video. Interesting she says pain like the nurse in Colorado, but not where? Although she sounded more achy all over. Nurse said like being stabbed with an ice pick, so I would think you would know where you got stabbed. A guy I know in north bend had less of taste and smell. Another in lake Wenatchee who had a bad fever and really bad breathing problems. Both are in their 30's very healthy guys. One had spent the week in holden only a week before getting sick, the other was at whistler. Both of them are doing well now. Could have been back spasms, but odd how it took three days to turn into neck spasms. My best WebMD guess is that it was a bacterial infection that loved the anaerobic environment of my spine. Inflaming the area around my sciatic nerve way more they normal, then moved up my neck. Or what you said, and I strained my neck sleeping funny because of my back. another thing I'm going to be more mindful of is seeing medical proffessionals more, and not play doctor with my life.wink.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm 
Ars Technica has a comprehensive and readable article on COVID-19. It includes this breakdown of symptoms.
Quote:
According to data from nearly 56,000 laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 patients in China, the rundown of common symptoms went as follows: 88 percent had a fever 68 percent had a dry cough 38 percent had fatigue 33 percent coughed up phlegm 19 percent had shortness of breath 15 percent had joint or muscle pain 14 percent had a sore throat 14 percent headache 11 percent had chills 5 percent had nausea or vomiting 5 percent had nasal congestion 4 percent had diarrhea Less than one percent coughed up blood or blood-stained mucus Less than one percent had watery eyes

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 11:15 pm 
68 % dry cough, 33% phlegm confused.gif 1 percent had a dry phlegm cough? wink.gif Edit. After sleeping on it, I'm guessing it could mean some had dry, some had phlegm, some had both, some had neither. Just coincidence the 2 are 101 added together. Sorry.

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Ars Technica has a comprehensive and readable article on COVID-19. It includes this breakdown of symptoms.
Quote:
According to data from nearly 56,000 laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 patients in China, the rundown of common symptoms went as follows: 88 percent had a fever 68 percent had a dry cough 38 percent had fatigue 33 percent coughed up phlegm 19 percent had shortness of breath 15 percent had joint or muscle pain 14 percent had a sore throat 14 percent headache 11 percent had chills 5 percent had nausea or vomiting 5 percent had nasal congestion 4 percent had diarrhea Less than one percent coughed up blood or blood-stained mucus Less than one percent had watery eyes
Thanks for sharing this - best list I've seen so far. The "4 percent had diarrhea" explains the run on toilet paper...

The only easy day was yesterday...
graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 7:22 am 
Another good video from ZDoggMD - just under nine minutes duration: https://zdoggmd.com/covid-exit/

The only easy day was yesterday...
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 am 
graywolf wrote:
Thanks for sharing this - best list I've seen so far. The "4 percent had diarrhea" explains the run on toilet paper...
Most people would normally be using their job's TP and now have to supply their own.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 am 
Biotech company owners in Telluride offer blood test for corona virus antibodies for free to every resident. When this was done in Iceland, 50% of those who tested positive were asymptomatic. And it's an easier test than the swab. Clip includes interview with county's medical officer:

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:21 am 
We're closing in. The world title is in reach. China 81,783 Italy 80,529 U.S. 75,233 I predict that by Saturday, we'll take the lead. Will a national championship game or Super Bowl even be necessary? Go USA!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:51 am 
The US has 550% more people, so the fact that Italy is even on the board is a really lousy deal.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:55 am 
Does anyone share living space with someone who is flouting the rules? There are in fact some people who are so entrenched in conspiracy theories that they don’t believe anything about the virus and are working when they should not. In this case it’s an interpretation of what are essential services. Apparently working on someone’s home remodel is considered essential. This person can’t comprehend why he should not work when the grocery stores are way more full of people than his job site. After this first part of the pandemic is over and before the next wave, I plan to re-assess who I want to share my space with.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 12:10 pm 
Quote:
What should I do if I have symptoms or have been exposed? Call your healthcare provider, or call before going to the emergency room. We have guidance available for people who have or think they may have COVID-19: What to do if you have confirmed or suspected coronavirus disease (COVID-19) (PDF) What to do if you were potentially exposed to someone with confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) (PDF) What to do if you have symptoms of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and have not been around anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 (PDF)
https://www.doh.wa.gov/emergencies/coronavirus

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 1:06 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
China 81,783 Italy 80,529 U.S. 75,233 I predict that by Saturday, we'll take the lead.
To be fair, I wouldn't trust any numbers that come from China. Regardless, the USA's response - namely, the lack of widespread testing - has been profoundly embarrassing, to say the least.