Forum Index > Trail Talk > All Washington state parks now completely closed.
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
vibramhead

vibramhead
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 5:57 pm 
First, it was campgrounds. Now, it's everything.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 7:21 pm 
When people act stupid they lose privileges

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 pm 
I maintain privileges. I'm gonna claim exemption

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm 
This is for Spokane area, but I assume it applies at all State Parks According to State Parks Area Manager, Diana Dupuis, "We realize many people live close to the trail and will be able to access it by foot or bike and, as long as they are practicing good social distancing, can use the trail and still abide by the Governor’s order. We recognize that getting out and exercising is still a great practice for most everyone, especially during this time. What we don’t want is over crowded trailheads, people not keeping their distances, and bathrooms that we cannot keep sanitized. This measure is to help us avoid those situations. Closing a park means shutting down our facilities, parking lots, and amenities to the public to keep our staff and the public safe. The land is still there for the public to use."

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 pm 
All we need is a break from the meddling media and their telephoto lenses. Last week, widely separated groups of housemates on Alki were characterized as wall-to-wall crowds. A quick pan from a helicopter revealed that naughty folks on the breezy beach, were actually physically separated and relatively sparse. That's why the vertical shot was clipped short. The telephoto shot compressing the length of the beach was the centerpiece of the story. Pictures do lie.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 am 
Exactly!! Better sorry than safe!!

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 8:50 am 
Tiger Mt Highpoint trailhead was open as of yesterday afternoon (Mgmt by Issaquah City Parks I believe)

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 9:01 am 
SteeperColder wrote:
Tiger Mt Highpoint trailhead was open as of yesterday afternoon (Mgmt by Issaquah City Parks I believe)
The DNR policy which I believe would apply to Tiger was supposed to take effect today, the 26th, I believe some people were still going in just fine on the 25th. DNR has said they will have rangers out and asking people to leave, and the west Tiger area seems busy enough that it’s be a priority enforcement point for them.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 am 
Ski wrote:
You exempt from the virus as well? Let us know how that works out for you.
You were making fun of people for being concerned about this. What changed your mind?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 am 
SteeperColder wrote:
The Highpoint trailhead https://goo.gl/maps/6PxyRUAZX12XLnvt5 is managed by the DNR and is behind a DNR managed gate. However the Cableline Trailhead https://goo.gl/maps/KmFJx4ZgkxdcQ95YA is outside the gate and parking is along a public road that lies outside the City of Issaquah's city limits. Perhaps the King County sheriff will ticket cars parked along SE 79TH ST. I think for the most part closure orders like this depend more on citizens acting out of enlightened self-interest than from law enforcement issuing citations. Whenever I've hiked West Tiger 3 -- even on storm days, I see plenty of other people, so it isn't a particularly good choice for "social isolation"

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:31 am 
Randito wrote:
SteeperColder wrote:
The Highpoint trailhead https://goo.gl/maps/6PxyRUAZX12XLnvt5 is managed by the DNR and is behind a DNR managed gate. However the Cableline Trailhead https://goo.gl/maps/KmFJx4ZgkxdcQ95YA is outside the gate and parking is along a public road that lies outside the City of Issaquah's city limits. Perhaps the King County sheriff will ticket cars parked along SE 79TH ST. I think for the most part closure orders like this depend more on citizens acting out of enlightened self-interest than from law enforcement issuing citations. Whenever I've hiked West Tiger 3 -- even on storm days, I see plenty of other people, so it isn't a particularly good choice for "social isolation"
Except it's not just about the parking in terms of restrictions. How long does it take you to get on DNR land when you start up the Cable Line Trail? https://www.dnr.wa.gov/closurenews

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:35 am 
Kascadia wrote:
It's not just about the parking in terms of restrictions. How long does it take you to get on DNR land when you start up the Cable Line Trail? https://www.dnr.wa.gov/closurenews
Yes -- the Tiger Mtn forest is DNR land is closed to all public access. I don't think one should expect there to be rangers or any sort of government agents out enforcing the closure. Rather I hope folks are willing to act "in the public good" and respect the closures. ETA from the DNR closure order:
Quote:
How will this be enforced? We take this closure seriously and expect the public to also. Ultimately, we are counting on people to do the right thing and comply. It is important that we all abide by this closure to protect the safety of everyone. Our enforcement staff will be patrolling our landscapes. If you are found on state land, our staff will provide information about the closure and ask you to leave. Citations can be issued to individuals who refuse to leave.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 pm 
Randito wrote:
Kascadia wrote:
It's not just about the parking in terms of restrictions. How long does it take you to get on DNR land when you start up the Cable Line Trail? https://www.dnr.wa.gov/closurenews
Yes -- the Tiger Mtn forest is DNR land is closed to all public access. I don't think one should expect there to be rangers or any sort of government agents out enforcing the closure. Rather I hope folks are willing to act "in the public good" and respect the closures. ETA from the DNR closure order:
Quote:
How will this be enforced? We take this closure seriously and expect the public to also. Ultimately, we are counting on people to do the right thing and comply. It is important that we all abide by this closure to protect the safety of everyone. Our enforcement staff will be patrolling our landscapes. If you are found on state land, our staff will provide information about the closure and ask you to leave. Citations can be issued to individuals who refuse to leave.
The DNR statement seems to explicitly say that there will be rangers out telling people to go home and ticketing those who refuse. I imagine many areas are remote enough that they won’t bother to patrol but I’d imagine the west tiger area will be very high on the priority list to have somebody out at.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 2:40 am 
Was at the Arboretum the other day and people were thick on the trails through there.

none
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:33 pm 
Jordan wrote:
people were thick on the trails
We walked two loops there this week. All the people we saw were being careful to keep their distance. The paths are wide and it's easy to do here. It's not that different than taking a walk on city sidewalks.