Forum Index > Trail Talk > Washington State Lands Closed to Camping through April 30 Day use areas and trails remain open
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:48 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
More security theater - Gifford Pinchot now closed: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordpinchot/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD716564
Yup. Now they're even screwing the locals who don't have to travel very far to get there for some excercise. If you live in Trout Lake for example, it takes longer to get groceries than it does to hit the GPNF. We're well into the irrational phase at this point. Fear and hysteria reign.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 6:32 pm 
Well it's actually quite the opposite from what I've seen. It is the lack of fear or respect for the guidelines that has resulted in the recent clampdown in Wa. I've seen very little fear or hysteria anywhere on this that has resulted in people taking the recommendations of experts seriously enough.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 6:40 pm 
I disagree. This kind of lockdown has never been done for any previous issue like this in the US, to my knowledge, anyway. I am happy to be shown wrong. You isolate the sick or near sick, trace the contacts, etc tell people feeling sick to self isolate, and do the usual methods such as these. I submit that the idea that 'seriously' enough means not questioning these new practices is an example of the fear driving the issue. I get the fear, and concern, it's natural thing for folks. But there is zero discussion of what 'seriously' means on an empirical level. There are all kinds of seriously and I agree a beach party in FL is not one of them. But going this far the other way is at least questionable.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 7:17 pm 
I suspect that land managers are trying to avoid some of the troubles the the WDFW has encountered that resulted in fully closing fishing in the state
Quote:
Hearing some insider info that hasn't come out yet about the closing of fishing etc...... I know it's tough to believe, but apparently people are complete f### shitheads...... This is from a wdfw employee. The decision makes much more sense now. Still sucks but makes more sense why the decision was made. "The last three days have been interesting. People stole the TP and hand sanitizer from most of the wdfw and state parks restrooms, then decided to sh## everywhere inside, wdfw had to send maintenance in to clean it up two days ago, so, we locked the restrooms. So they sh## all over the outside and someone attempted to push a concrete restroom into a lake. So wdfw and parks access closed all but boat ramps as people were congregating in masses of 30 and 40 people throwing beer cans and trash everywhere, hundreds of illegal fires. Stole picnic tables and signage. Then today someone decided to rip a $4000 gate out to launch a boat. They are destroying everything, so... now its all shut down so our enforcement officers can cite for criminal trespass, and try to save our rec areas. One access has in excess of $10000 in damages already."

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 7:52 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
More security theater - Gifford Pinchot now closed: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordpinchot/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD716564
I'll get an update from my buddy tomorrow after he gets back from hiking in GPNF.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 8:30 pm 
I wonder why folks posting trip reports aren't being excoriated with the same tone folks even *suggesting* doing a trip using best practice get. Will they be 'remembered' after all this is over the same way as disagreement pulled yesterday?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I disagree. This kind of lockdown has never been done for any previous issue like this in the US, to my knowledge, anyway. I am happy to be shown wrong. You isolate the sick or near sick, trace the contacts, etc tell people feeling sick to self isolate, and do the usual methods such as these. I submit that the idea that 'seriously' enough means not questioning these new practices is an example of the fear driving the issue. I get the fear, and concern, it's natural thing for folks. But there is zero discussion of what 'seriously' means on an empirical level. There are all kinds of seriously and I agree a beach party in FL is not one of them. But going this far the other way is at least questionable.
We all know there aren't enough tests, and how that was botched from the beginning. So we can't just quarantine the sick, we don't know who's sick. People shed the virus for days before they have any symptoms. We have 80,000 known cases, the ship has already sailed on contact tracing. With the situation we find ourselves in, and with Italy as an example, we can either respond aggressively, or we can raise the white flag and let the virus run rampant through our population. Personally, I think old people's lives have value. We could have done a better job at the start and not found ourselves here. But we all know how that went.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I wonder why folks posting trip reports aren't being excoriated with the same tone folks even *suggesting* doing a trip using best practice get.
Most of us see ourselves as a community, and as a general rule aren't looking for a fight.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 am 
Criminal. I 'hiked' over to the reiter ponds fish hatchery yesterday. The gate was open, and there was no type of closed sign. No cars in the lot. The hatchery guy was there, but no armed guards protecting the fry. Walked in about 20' then turned around. Walked the road back to check. Normally when the hatchery is closed, they put barricade and sign at the road. Nothing. Nothing at the gold bar boulders parking either. Cut through the old pit on state park land for a few hundred yards. Swat team did not show up but I was trying to keep hidden.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 8:42 am 
Cyclopath put it well. A bit of over-rotation is in order now. As well as respect for community. IMO, and with all due respect, there is no time for the debate and consensus building that further analysis would take to more closely predict the location of this invisible enemy. It must be assumed to exist everywhere now. Even nursing homes in small towns are extremely vulnerable. My mother lives in a nursing home in Wenatchee. I can go along with what our leaders and scientific experts are trying to promote. Even if it seems overly cautious. And proclamations like these will always be open to some interpretation by the public. Seems the use of law enforcement has been very limited on all this. If you want to sneak in, pepole will follow their own conscience. I have virtually always opposed closure of public lands for the typical reasons including government shut downs and even safety, when it is the safety of the hiker. I now have to consider my actions as affecting the health of my aging neighbors and 88 year old mother. The risk I take now is not to my own health alone. I hike Tiger almost daily. So when the closure came yesterday I started getting inventive, conguring up ways to "sneak" in. I'm not 100% on any rule and will openly fudge on most in line with what I perceive to be common sense. I expect folks will continue to do this. But now I'll personally confess myself content biasing towards following the rules. Risking the safety of others for my own recreation changes the game for me. I've decided to use this time to push myself in other directions, including cycling. I'm dragging out my 45 year old Peugeot and hitting the road. I could also use the next 3 months to organize my shop and do virtually nothing else. I'm not good at changing myself unless there is nothing else to do. Which is now the case.

Hesman

Hesman
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 2:38 pm 
pipedream

pipedream
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:05 pm 
Looks like the Mt. Baker - Snoqualmie NF is pulling the plug:
Quote:
To align with state and local stay home to save lives measures, trailheads, campgrounds, and day use areas* within the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest will be temporarily closed. These closures are based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus. “We are following CDC and departmental guidelines regarding COVID-19, are closely monitoring the situation and will evaluate potential impacts to the Forest and respond as needed.” said Jamie Kingsbury, Forest Supervisor with the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. The closure order is in effect through September 30 unless rescinded earlier. The latest updates and information will be shared online at https://www.fs.usda.gov/mbs/. Forest Service offices are currently providing virtual services and staff are available to answer questions by phone or email. *Day use areas include trailheads, visitor centers, OHV staging areas, viewpoints, boat launches, interpretive sites, and picnic areas.
Source: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD717080

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:09 pm 
Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie and Okanogan-Wenatchee have now closed all campgrounds, rental facilities, and day use areas (defined by Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie as "trailheads, visitor centers, OHV staging areas, viewpoints, boat launches, interpretive sites, and picnic areas") FWIW, Governor Inslee's proclamation can be found here. Note (1)(a)(4): 1. ...To implement this mandate, I hereby order that all people in Washington State are immediately prohibited from leaving their home or place of residence except to conduct or participate in (1) essential activities, and/or (2) employment in providing essential business services: a. Essential activities permitted under this Proclamation are limited to the following: [clipped for brevity] 4) Engaging in outdoor exercise activities, such as walking, hiking, running or biking, but only if appropriate social distancing practices are used.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:12 pm 
prepare for the onslaught. tongue.gif

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:42 pm 
xrp wrote:
fourteen410 wrote:
I'll get an update from my buddy tomorrow after he gets back from hiking in GPNF.
He said it was pretty cold and rainy. Nice solitude. No one else on the trails with him.