Forum Index > Gear Talk > Defective mountaineering boots? Not waterproof...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 2:34 pm 
So my mountaineering boots that I've had for the last seven years started feeling a bit too small, and stopped being waterproof years ago so I decided to get a new pair. I went with Salewa Crows, and they fit great. Very comfortable. I took then up Buckhorn last weekend for their first big trip. When snow started getting boot deep I put on gaiters and they were great all the way up to the summit. While on the summit I noticed a small frayed area around the toe. Well, I already scratched them up I thought, no big deal. On the way down the snow was soft and wet. I did some seated glissading, and some standing glissading. Then I started to feel that familiar wet sensation down by my little toe, first on one foot then on both. Soon both feet were drenched, and I was sloshing in soggy wet socks and boots all the way down. This is pretty much what I had been used to in my old boots, and the reason I bought new ones! My friends feet did fine and were not soaked like mine. I'm so used to wet boots I thought maybe that's just what you get in wet spring snow. Or, maybe the boots are defective? I thought I'd get at least a year of waterproof out of them. What do you think?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:05 pm 
Awilsondc wrote:
What do you think?
We have discussed here over the years in many threads Gore-Tex vs. leather boots, and various methods for keeping feet dry. I have no faith at all in "Gore-Tex", either in footwear or garments. I wear old-school Norwegian welt "waffle stompers" and put Obenauf's LP on them. My feet remain dry. My old Galibiers are nearing the end of their serviceable lifespan after over 40 years of use, so I managed to find an ancient pair of Merrells on Craigslist a couple months ago - $15 bucks for the boots + $20 bucks shipping from Blaine Washington. Great fit and they're already broken in. Also picked up a pair of throw-away Timberlands on Ebay for $35 bucks. I wear them to kick around local trails as they're significantly lighter than the Merrells or Galibiers. Just my lousy opinion. Good luck. up.gif My first pair of Timberlands were a gift. A friend bought them for $10 bucks on a close-out sale. They did okay for a couple seasons but then the soles came unbuttoned from the uppers. Alex told me to toss 'em in the trash - not worth fixing:
The Galibiers are tired after 45 years, but they still keep my feet dry:
The Timberlands came in at $35 incl. tax and shipping from Ebay. The Merrells were $35 incl. shipping off an ad I found on Craigslist. Heavy (like the Galibiers) but bulletproof:
new shooze
new shooze
I wear a 13, so I looked for quite a while to find those Merrells. Vibram soles are like new. You'd be surprised at what's out there in the second-hand market. I think Zamberlan still makes an old-school Norwegian welt boot, but they're damn spendy. And again, Obenauf's is the only way to go. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:10 pm 
Alico still makes full grain, Norwegian welt hiking and climbing boots. Sierra Trading Post typically has some listed, but their stores are closed due to COVID-19 And their website and warehouse also closed for the time being.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 7:54 am 
Goretex doesn't leak unless the membrane is compromised. Scarpa and Gore-Tex both guarantee those boots. Send them in. I have had nothing but great results with goretex boots for the last 25 years, with multiple pairs worn to death...I currently have a pair of Crow GTX, along with 3pr x Trango S EVO GTX, a pair of Scarpa Charmoz, Raichle Mamooks, Salomon 4D GTX, Garmont Tower GTX, and more...I can quit any time I want. Remember "Super Gaiters", the ones with full rubber rands? Those were very popular BEFORE GTX lined boots came on the scene. Why? Because leather leaks and people used them to keep leather boots dry(er). Once Gore-tex was available in boots super gaiters disappeared.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Bronco

Bronco
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:43 am 
I have some Salewa Rapace GTX and they've been pretty good so far as staying dry. I think you may have a bad set of boots and should try to return them.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 7:31 pm 
Thanks everyone. I figured they were a bad pair. I'll exchange them and see if I have better luck with a different pair. The fit was great!

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 3:12 pm 
I'm with ski, gortex has failed me quite often. For mountaineering purposes I use leather. For regular hiking I use quick drying hiking shoes with wool socks and dry them at camp. I like both methods fine.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
rkjenner

rkjenner
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 7:02 am 
My experience with goretex has been mostly satisfying across a range of boot types from trail runners to full mountaineering boots. My current favorite is an all leather mid height Lowa Renegade GTX (best of both worlds?) that is light, durable, and comfortable. I wanted to pass on a lesson, learned the hard way, about after-market foot beds. I've always replaced stock liners with the Superfeet brand. However.... some of their models, like the bronze, have protruding nubs on the heels that can puncture a goretex lining over time. I think the company alludes to that somewhere on their website. The appropriate model to use is the Green which has a smooth heel.

christensent

christensent
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 8:23 am 
Boots like that should be waterproof for the first few trips, but ultimately they are a very poor use of money (with one exception that I'll get into) as they will usually be waterproof for far less than one hard season's use. The only mountaineering boots that actually last are leather, such as the Nepal Evo (not to suggest that's the only one). You can wax it and it just stays waterproof. I'm going on year 9 of my Nepal Evo boots, and they're just now starting to mechanically reach end of life, but they'll always be waterproof with a fresh wax. The one exception, though, is that an ultra light mountaineering boot that lasts one season is, well, light. If you have the income to buy new boots every year, you'll probably be happier with a very light weight "high tech" modern disposal mountaineering boot. They also breathe a lot better than a heavy leather boot. From a purely financial standpoint, a $500 boot that lasts 5+ years is a better buy than a $300 boot that lasts 1 year. Plus boots like the Nepal go on significant sale a lot more than they used to so they don't even cost $500 if you shop around.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
christensent

christensent
PostMon May 25, 2020 5:14 pm 
Jeff wrote:
christensent wrote:
The only mountaineering boots that actually last are leather, such as the Nepal Evo (not to suggest that's the only one).
My Koflach Degres would like to have a word with you about that.
That is a very good point, I neglected plastics which within reason last essentially forever, but are usually considered unfavorable from a comfort standpoint.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat