Forum Index > Gear Talk > boot toe protection
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 9:26 pm 
My new pair of leather Gore-Tex boots are getting really scuffed up at the toe area- any ideas of how to protect it without paying the big bucks to have a cobbler install rubber toe bumpers, etc.? Anybody try McNett's Freesole urethane as a protective "cap"? Thanks for any feedback.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostTue Sep 17, 2002 11:04 am 
I've used ShoeGoo and SeamGrip in the past. Obviously it will eliminate any breathability in the area covered. It will also peel off leather eventually. That said, in my experience it has provided decent temporary scuff protection.

Curt

Curt
PostTue Sep 17, 2002 2:55 pm 
I think the products Dante mentions are fine and will work, but if you want something that's bomber and won't peel, check out Freesole. It's similar to the other products, but made to handle the wear and tear of hard use on footwear. I put it on the bottom of a pair of sandals 2 years ago and the fix is still in the shape it was when I first repaired it. Good stuff. I've also used it to create a rand on my leather mountaineering boots. -Curt

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Sep 17, 2002 4:31 pm 
Toe bumper
Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up some Freesole today & will give it a shot.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Sep 17, 2002 4:40 pm 
And where does one buy "Freesole"???

Art is an adventure.
Curt

Curt
PostTue Sep 17, 2002 4:45 pm 
Freesole use hint: Build a dam with masking tape. The stuff will run everywhere. When I did the rand on my boots, I layed down a couple layers of tape on either side of where I wanted the rubber. Goop it on, smooth it with a toothpick or something, then after a few hours (when it's tacky but not flowing liquid) pull the tape off. Looks nice and professional, actually. So far, the Freesole rand has held up better than any factor rubber rand I've ever had on a pair of boots. Hope this helps, -Curt

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Sep 17, 2002 6:24 pm 
Toe bumper
Found some at REI, $6 in a tube.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Sep 23, 2002 12:12 pm 
rubber toe protection
Well, I tried the Freesole method for a protective toe cap on my boots and it turned out pretty well- it leaves a fairly firm, rubbery surface. Time will tell how durable it will be. The hardest part is coming up with a good method of containing or damming the Freesole urethane, and I quickly scrapped the masking tape only & used silicone sealant (bathtub caulk) atop masking tape, running a bead around the toe of the boot, thick enough to build up the Freesole a 16th of an inch or so when poured onto the toe area. That I did in two stages- because of the curvature of the boot toe, I also ran a bead of caulk right down the center of the toe, dividing my "pour" area in half. This enabled me to have a bit more control of the Freesole (the instructions suggest this as well). After one half cured I did the other & there is a seam where the two halves meet but the urethane blends together pretty well there. All I have to do now is a little trimming to neaten up the job and put the boot thru the paces. The Freesole was not quite as runny as I thought it would be but definitely does try to find its own level, so you have to keep any eye on it until it starts to cure (1-2 hrs) -full cure is 1-2 days depending on thickness. I used a plastic spoon to smooth it around. To prep the leather I cleaned it first with nail polish remover (acetone) & scuffed it with sandpaper. The Freesole seems to bond really well to the leather.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 10:04 pm 
Hey it's Nov 10th and that Freesole stuff is pretty tough! I've worn my boots trail-working, hiking and even doing heavy yardwork and the toe-caps are just like new- can't recommend that goop more highly.