Forum Index > Trip Reports > Barrett Lk. Overlook pre-hike, 10.06.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 8:44 pm 
An article by one of my fellow Canyoneers prompted me to check out this much shorter option for reaching what I like to call the "Barrett Lk. Overlook". It's a little rocky peak w/great views of the elusive Barrett Lk., which has all kinds of rules for entry so I don't even bother trying to get in there. However, this overlook is completely legit. I parked @ the obscure TH located @ the end of Cinnamon Dr. in the Deerhorn Valley area of Jamul, which I think is the same one that we happened upon almost 7 yrs. prior. dizzy.gif
TH
TH
The 1st part of the hike is on a dirt fire rd., heading east along Pats Canyon.
A short distance later, just after an electrical tower, an overgrown old road takes off to the right & leads into Dry Valley. I stepped over the metal railing & turned here.
Big oak
Big oak
Deeply rutted trail
Deeply rutted trail
The trail narrows, passes under oaks, turns north, then turns east again to start climbing toward the peak. One section of the trail is deeply rutted but it's easy enough to walk on either side of it. A short distance later the peak is reached. The 1st viewpoint is to the north & west. cool.gif
Barrett Lk.
Barrett Lk.
The 2nd viewpoint is to the east & south. cool.gif
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Split rock @ summit
Split rock @ summit
After taking a break on the summit rocks for a few minutes, I headed back. T'was a nice li'l short hike for the day, & now I knew what to expect when taking my ppl here a wk. later. smile.gif
Stats
Stats

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message