Forum Index > Gear Talk > Our gear favorites and failures - Electronics, camping gear, food
Previous :: Next Topic  
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld

Walking Nature World
PostSat Mar 21, 2020 7:13 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
You can watch the full video here:

In this video we are going to show you our favorite gear items that we can't live without and won't hike without from now on and some of the gear failures that we plan not taking with us anymore. We are going to talk about electronics, camping stuff and food as well. These conclusions were made after being hiking for 4 months doing TMB hike, Via Francigena, Cinque Terre and Dolomites hiking. So we have quite a lot a gear to show you. Hope you find it helpful.

What is some of your favorite gear to carry in your backpack?

--------------
We are a young couple who loves hiking, nature walking and camping. We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can. Also we have a Youtube channel where we're showcasing all our hikes.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
the1mitch

the1mitch

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 7:22 pm 
I love my GSR tea kettle. It nests with my titanium pot and so I have a dedicated water pot for drinks and cleanup that never gets funky or has to be washed! Also I have a Sawyer mini filter that has saved me a pound of weight from my old pump filter. My bowl has been replaced by an instant noodle bowl and my cup by a gourmet ice cream container. These items were "free" and if they crack, who cares? Backpacking kits should be evaluated after every trip. The best piece of gear however is a merino wool hoody. I bought it 2 sizes too big and use it as pajamas, anti bug gear, extra outer layer for warmth, or baggy base layer under puffy gear.

--------------
illegitimi non carborundum!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld

Walking Nature World
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 3:50 am 
the1mitch wrote:
I love my GSR tea kettle. It nests with my titanium pot and so I have a dedicated water pot for drinks and cleanup that never gets funky or has to be washed! Also I have a Sawyer mini filter that has saved me a pound of weight from my old pump filter. My bowl has been replaced by an instant noodle bowl and my cup by a gourmet ice cream container. These items were "free" and if they crack, who cares? Backpacking kits should be evaluated after every trip. The best piece of gear however is a merino wool hoody. I bought it 2 sizes too big and use it as pajamas, anti bug gear, extra outer layer for warmth, or baggy base layer under puffy gear.

Thanks for sharing your best gear items, we may have a look at some of them as we are in the search of a new pot for cooking and cooking stuff in general so it is really useful for us. What kind of pot are you using? We love our sawyer mini too because it doesn't take much space at all even though we haven't used it much last year. We have heard good things about the Merino wool but never get a chance to try it, it sounds like a universal piece.

--------------
We are a young couple who loves hiking, nature walking and camping. We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can. Also we have a Youtube channel where we're showcasing all our hikes.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 7:41 pm 
walkingnatureworld wrote:

Warm jacket, especially down.  Feels like heaven when you need it.

Water filter.  It saves so much weight!

GPS watch.  Doesn't go in my pack, but it's a piece of my favorite gear.

Does electrolyte mix count?  It's what plants crave!  😁  I feel more thirsty drinking just water, it helps me feel more satisfied.
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld

Walking Nature World
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 6:31 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
walkingnatureworld wrote:

Warm jacket, especially down.  Feels like heaven when you need it.

Water filter.  It saves so much weight!

GPS watch.  Doesn't go in my pack, but it's a piece of my favorite gear.

Does electrolyte mix count?  It's what plants crave!  😁  I feel more thirsty drinking just water, it helps me feel more satisfied.

Agree on the warm jacket, it is a life saver sometimes. What kind of GPS watch you are using? We've been looking recently into some GPS trackers to always stay on track and also record our trails. Electrolyte mix sounds interesting, is it really that good? We can see that there are a lot of them on market.

--------------
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 11:30 am 
I'm using a Garmin Fenix 6X.  Love it.  I don't use it much for navigation (except on the bike), it's mostly for recording, for fitness, and it tells me things like how far I've hiked so far or where I am in terms of uphill on a hike - helps me pace my effort.

Electrolytes are good if you sweat a lot and especially if your sweat is salty.  Some people need them, but not everybody.  They help me.
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld

Walking Nature World
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:21 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'm using a Garmin Fenix 6X.  Love it.  I don't use it much for navigation (except on the bike), it's mostly for recording, for fitness, and it tells me things like how far I've hiked so far or where I am in terms of uphill on a hike - helps me pace my effort.

Electrolytes are good if you sweat a lot and especially if your sweat is salty.  Some people need them, but not everybody.  They help me.

Yeah, they look good, we've been looking for the universal piece of equipment to use as a navigation and track recorder as well.

That's interesting information about electrolytes, have to research it more.

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Our gear favorites and failures - Electronics, camping gear, food
  Happy Birthday Justus S.!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: