Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "RC" an inexpensive midlife crisis!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 11:08 am 
Heck yes, maybe we can tempt Brucester into attending with flying toys and 4x4 action. Diamond, you've never flown this one D...
Nor Bald Mtn, OR down near Baker City

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 12:27 pm 
Yep. I need to get down to your territory. The Great Jones must dominate those hills one day. Brucester will never be the same after hanging with these dorks.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm 
Another fun RC toy, they are pretty quick and racing them is hilarious, laughs per minute are very high. I have a fleet of 5 now and some turn buoys for the pool. Once the race begins and the waves start reflecting from the sides of the pool is it not a given who will win .

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:15 pm 
I love this thing and packing it into the backcountry
Inspire Pack
Inspire Pack

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 4:33 am 
What are you guys flying these days Goat? What radios are you using?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 5:12 am 
Cool hobby. I like scale and miniatures. This would fit in. It would be just as much fun building an off road course in the backyard. Of course I would have to use rc construction equipment, excavator, loader, and dump. Then the jeep. Wait, I thought you said inexpensive? I was thinking with this down time I could start on that basement dig. Looks like we might be here a while. clown.gif https://www.boredpanda.com/man-excavates-basement-rc-construction-truck-toys/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:08 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
What are you guys flying these days Goat? What radios are you using?
Hi Joe, you can see the kind of stuff we're flying in the pics and photos on page 1. Molded foam kits are everywhere now and high quality in general, they're hard to beat. Not much building from foam and balsa any more unless one likes making custom stuff. The price on carbon and glass ships hasn't dropped much, so unless you're a pretty decent pilot we don't fly as many of those at the alpine sites because the price of mistakes is high. They are however unmatched for performance and speed, the vid with L flying his Pike Performer shows what a good pilot can do with one of these. Listen to the wind howling and the windicator ribbon horizontal...we like wind, the more the better. When your bird has trouble with the wind speed, you just add lead to make it faster! Radios have moved on from the 72mhz FM stuff to 2.4 GHz systems which use something very akin to bluetooth on steroids. They self select channels so no more conflicts there when two guys are both on CH34 or whatever. I was very dubious about the 2.4 GHz systems but tried one when my last 72 transmitter crapped out I tried one. Pretty impressed, I have never seen less than 8/10 bars for received signal even when a 2.8m aircraft is so distant it's a dot. And that's the other cool thing, since the control stream is bidirectional instead of uplink only, you get telemetry if you want. The cheapo system I got for $55 (TX and RX, additional receivers $20) includes battery voltage and signal strength reporting from the aircraft, something impossible with the old stuff. You should show up for one of our flying campouts. Always great views, good company, and a good dirt road scramble at the very least. Get you some stick time via training box so you don't have to worry about stuffing someone else's bird. We have a number of flying sites in various places...several around the Gorge of course, Saddle Mtn near Vantage, Timberwolf, Jumpoff, Darland in the Naches region, Table Mtn near Eburg, Chumstick, Roaring Ridge and Keystone around the Hwy 2 corridor, and a couple more in Okanogan.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 7:40 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
You should join us for a trip and try this RC hobby...
I think this hobby is an "in town" hobby as personally I don't believe such things belong in the forest or wilderness..... Even hikers with music playing as they hike, it ruins the experience.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 7:45 am 
No one told me this was a gateway drug..... Added the Axial SCX24 "Deadbolt" to the quiver. Also began performance modifications as in brass weight. Rock crawling is so much better with added weight to the tiny 1:24 scale rig!
deadbolt2
deadbolt2
deadbolt1
deadbolt1

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 9:07 am 
That's awesome. Cheaper than the real thing I can tell you that. LOL.
WHeeling the Rubicon 2
WHeeling the Rubicon 2
Wheeling the Rubicon
Wheeling the Rubicon
HighRider winter wheeling
HighRider winter wheeling
May Creek crossing
May Creek crossing

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 am 
Brucester wrote:
I think this hobby is an "in town" hobby as personally I don't believe such things belong in the forest or wilderness..... Even hikers with music playing as they hike, it ruins the experience.
It's hard to slope soar in town. No mountains. Keep in mind these are gliders, and we're not talking taking them hiking, these sites are all basically dispersed camping locations. They're so quiet that eagles will come along for a look and soar wingtip to wingtip in tandem with you.

Damian

Damian
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 9:58 pm 
One of my finest experiences was when a band of immature eagles showed up and began attacking our gliders. This was above Cattle Point in the San Juan's on a beautiful summer evening. They would circle, dive, and approach with talons extended. They would get within inches of the plane but never touch it, and then retreat and repeat the sequence. This went on for hours. The young birds never got bored with it. What a blast.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Apr 19, 2020 10:04 am 
I had a feathered friend up at Diamond a couple years back who just toured around with me. No aggressive moves from the bird and I just flew nice and smooth, the eagle followed me all over for a good 20 minutes. Finally got bored and climbed out at a rate I couldn't match and left for parts unknown off towards Adams.

Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Jun 17, 2020 2:19 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
They're so quiet that eagles will come along for a look and soar wingtip to wingtip in tandem with you.
up.gif That'd be fun to see!

Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm 
No trail running as of late due to discharging my 350mAh Lipo's under 3.70v, now they won't take a charge... frown.gif I bought two new batteries from separate eBay folks and they both also wouldn't take a charge. I have seven batteries now 3.45v-3.70v.... Bought a new charger but got the dreaded low voltage warning and it wouldn't charge them. On YT I saw something about if I put them on a NiMH charge for a few seconds to get the volts up then unplug them to avoid battery puffing? I've never done this and can't do this in a driveway for safety.... I've been wanting to get out but have had to resort to hiking instead. lol.gif Trade of some beverages if you can lend a hand?