Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is there a legal place to get in some elevation gain in King/Sno/Pierce area?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 4:07 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Here's Inslee clarifying his order. https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID=9375922947&eventID=2020031192 Starting around 42 minutes in, he says you can drive to a "lonely" trail to hike. WTA's interpretation is sensible because a lot of people don't have common sense. But it doesn't take precedence over the horse's mouth. Should I take a bus to North Bend instead, with strangers, and touch the bar and chairs that are covered in virus particles? They're still running.
From the transcript:
Gov Inslee wrote:
Now can a person go in a car to a lonely trail I suppose that might be Ok but we really discourage unnecessary driving outside of your media area you ought to be able to find a place you know fairly close to walk because when you do do those trips or stop at the gas station you're buying a donut somewhere you're having more interaction it's really not necessary and we have had a problem where people have just swapped the little communities that crease Harbor was just swamp the other day they're asking people not to to stay away just for a while so stay stay close and just be really rigorous stand away from people as much as humanly possible I make this comment.
looks like the transcriptionist didn't quite catch it all, but "No stopping for donuts..."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 4:08 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
WTA's interpretation is sensible because a lot of people don't have common sense.
This pretty much summarizes my point. Next sunny weekend day in April, right when hospitalizations and death rate in Washington hits its peak, Mt Si (Mailbox, Rattlesnake, Teneriffe, other popular trails, ect.) are going to be almost as packed as they would be if there was no virus. Except this time, there is no parking lot, so everyone parks crammed along the neighborhood streets. No outhouse. No ICU beds available. This is what the stay at home order is trying to prevent. Do you think the average Western Washington hiker even knows how to get to a lonely trail? There is a reason certain hikes are always packed. Inslee doesn't want to shut down hiking completely, and I respect that. But that doesn't mean people should be advocating driving and going on hikes right now.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 4:45 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I can't believe they're still running mass transit, but I guess they have to. Viral wafting/confinement chamber.
I can't believe marijuana stores are still open. A friend in Arizona told me golf courses are essential businesses there. I know that some people actually rely on the bus for work, I can respect that that's a real need.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 5:00 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
WTA's interpretation is sensible because a lot of people don't have common sense.
This pretty much summarizes my point. Next sunny weekend day in April, right when hospitalizations and death rate in Washington hits its peak, Mt Si (Mailbox, Rattlesnake, Teneriffe, other popular trails, ect.) are going to be almost as packed as they would be if there was no virus. Except this time, there is no parking lot, so everyone parks crammed along the neighborhood streets. No outhouse. No ICU beds available. This is what the stay at home order is trying to prevent. Do you think the average Western Washington hiker even knows how to get to a lonely trail? There is a reason certain hikes are always packed. Inslee doesn't want to shut down hiking completely, and I respect that. But that doesn't mean people should be advocating driving and going on hikes right now.
I can't control what most people do. And I assure you most people aren't reading several pages of these threads here. It's only the dedicated (and bored) fanatic hikers reading this. I'm talking to few nwhikers. For sure, don't go near Si, Mailbox, etc. You know there will be other people there, so avoid them. I'm guessing most people don't know how to find lonely trails right now, I'm not telling people where to look, I'd recommend not going if you don't already know and have a backup plan on mind. Walking around an urban neighborhood is more dangerous than walking alone in the woods. Some people need to get out of their homes occasionally, I can tell you with 100% certainty that going to the mountains is what allows me to otherwise stay home, I can't stand to be here constantly. I'm not alone in this.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 5:09 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I can't believe they're still running mass transit, but I guess they have to. Viral wafting/confinement chamber.
I am using it to get to work. I could drive, but the parking garages downtown are shuttered for all but monthly parkers, and I'm not one of them. Not everyone drives, and many still have to go to their workplace. There are several people on each bus I have taken since people began to quarantine. People still rely on public transportation.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 5:27 pm 
Yeah I get that, that's why I noted they had to keep it running. Do you take measures for the trip?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 5:55 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I can't believe marijuana stores are still open.
I can - they bring in millions of dollars for the state. Source.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 6:46 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
I can't believe marijuana stores are still open.
I can - they bring in millions of dollars for the state. Source.
Yep -- that and numerous folks using MJ to deal with glaucoma, chemotherapy related nausea, anxiety, etc. Plus if people are suffering from cabin fever -- I think it is far better for them to ingest some MJ Gummie bears and chill on their couch -- than say get drunk and go on a drunken escapade https://komonews.com/news/local/man-facing-charges-after-high-speed-chase-on-i-5-with-pit-bull-in-drivers-seat

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 9:12 pm 
Randy wrote:
"...it is far better for them to ingest some MJ Gummie bears and chill on their couch -- than say get drunk and go on a drunken escapade..."
... or beat their wife or children, or any number of other idiotic stunts performed when people get liquored up. Why isn't there some "internet law" along the line of that "Godwin" thing people seem to bring up in internet discussions that applies to banal and vacuous comments about "Cheetos" or "Doritos"?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:12 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Wonder if anyone can clarify a related point? Sno-Parks are closed for C-19. It's my understanding these places stop being Sno-Parks on April 1st. Will it be legal to park in these places in a few days?
I suspect not. Most Sno-Parks are located at areas that would be considered "developed", and that seems to be the key factor for what's officially closed. If people can congregate, consider that the area is likely closed.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:15 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Everyone is focused on a strict reading of National Forests, and other open land's, closure notices and trying to find a loophole to those closure notices. The truth is if you want to recreate on an any open lands in Washington right now, you can, and you will not be ticketed, jailed, or otherwise punished. There are no enforcement of these laws (cops have better things to worry about right now). With that said, the spirit of all of these laws is to encourage people to either stay in their residence, or stay close to their residence. When you drive up I-90, you are using gas, thus requiring additional trips to the gas station. You are adding wear and tear to your automobile, thus increasing the likelihood of maintenance. You risk getting into a traffic accident on your drive, thus increasing pressure on an already taxed medical system. Your car could break down on the drive, thus requiring unplanned human to human contact to get home. You could get injured or lost on your remote recreation. The internet is filled with all user groups (hikers, skiers, climbers, and bikers) lamenting their lost recreational lands and trying to justify their decision to continue to recreate. Our country, and world, is facing the biggest crisis since WWII. The situation playing out in NYC right now will likely be the same situation in Seattle, and other metro areas in the US in the coming weeks. Why can't people be happy recreating around their homes for the next couple of months? Other countries are imposing (or imposed) firm lock downs where you can't even leave your home. Americans (and particularly NWhikers) are fixated on finding loopholes in the restrictions so they continue their regular lives without overtly violating the law. JUST STAY HOME.
wub.gif up.gif up.gif

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 pm 
Randito wrote:
Yep -- that and numerous folks using MJ to deal with glaucoma, chemotherapy related nausea, anxiety, etc.
Yes, after the passage and implementation of I-502, the state shut down the old medicinal marijuana dispensary system and now the only place to get marijuana is at the current stores whether recreational or medicinal. Since there are people with legitimate medical needs for cannabis, you have to keep those stores open for them. The “why are marijuana stores essential but my favorite thing isn’t” is a stupid talking point. Marijuana stores are pharmacies for some people.